Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyvont View Post
When on inverter power, the voltage is less that 120V, with four fully charged house batteries, which concerns me.
You don't say what the actual voltage is but if it's not substantially lower, it's just fine. Most everything will work without an issue at 105v and up. Many things will actually be happier with 110v than with 120v. Inverters have internal adjustments for output voltage if you want to give it a boost.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyvont View Post
Out '07 Dolphin has two such double/single outlets inside the outer refrig. access area. One supplies power from shore power, the other from inverter OR shore power, depending on which is being used. When on inverter power, the voltage is less that 120V, with four fully charged house batteries, which concerns me. I have not tested the voltage with the engine running and the alternator further charging the batteries. I have always preferred to run the refrig. on inverter rather than propane while driving, for the obvious safety benefits. The question: If, with the engine running I am getting 110-120 volts via the inverter, but less with the engine off, as while fueling up, taking a break, etc., am I at risk or ruining the refrig. with the temporary use of the lower voltage? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
You don't say what the actual voltage is but if it's not substantially lower, it's just fine. Most everything will work without an issue at 105v and up. Many things will actually be happier with 110v than with 120v. Inverters have internal adjustments for output voltage if you want to give it a boost.
garyvont and alvo
MSW, (modified sine wave), inverter output voltage can only be accurately measured with a true RMS, (root mean square), meter.
Meters other than a true RMS meter will often show voltage that is lower than the true output voltage of the MSW inverters commonly used in most coaches.
I use one of these to measure the output of my MSW inverter: "Kill A Watt"â„¢ Electric Monitor
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:11 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
what Mel said x2
a good RMS digital meter will costs you about $100 buck more than a multi-meter.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:43 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Nomad Mike
A picture would be helpful.
(BTW it's been over a month and still no picture).
Mel
'96 Safari

I didn't post a picture because tderonne posted a picture of the same thing.