Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Which inverter should I choose to replace my stock Dimented Inverter? I replaced my stock batteries with AGM's and figured I'd just see how it worked, plus the RV service shop thought it would be fine, that the Dimension was a good unit... hmmm... Anyway, just got back from a three week trip and had the Dimension display say the batteries were "High Temp", I believe from the equalization it was trying to do! So, I'm done with it and don't want to take any more chances on frying my AGM's (hopefully haven't already). So, who has replaced their inverter, what did they replace it with, and are they happy. Thanks for the help.
Alan
Old 07-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Which inverter should I choose to replace my stock Dimented Inverter? I replaced my stock batteries with AGM's and figured I'd just see how it worked, plus the RV service shop thought it would be fine, that the Dimension was a good unit... hmmm... Anyway, just got back from a three week trip and had the Dimension display say the batteries were "High Temp", I believe from the equalization it was trying to do! So, I'm done with it and don't want to take any more chances on frying my AGM's (hopefully haven't already). So, who has replaced their inverter, what did they replace it with, and are they happy. Thanks for the help.
Alan
Old 07-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hopefully John Canfield will offer his experience with his inverter replacement to Xantrex.

I got a 'battery overtemp' warning on my inverter panel a week ago. Do I have a problem?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Good question. That "battery overtemp" message was what started it all for me. Next thing you knew my batteries wouldn't hold a charge, then one was leaking, etc... Anyway, like I said, I'm done with the Dimensions Inverter. After the second High Temp message over the trip, I made the decision. Hope you don't have the same troubles as I.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Which inverter should I choose to replace my stock Dimented Inverter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alan,

I still have the Dimensions 2000 inverter but not for long. I intend to replace it with a Xantrex unit. These always worked well for me in my previous coaches. They allow you to turn off the equalization cycle and also are able to be configured for the AGM batteries.

Your choice of Xantrex units depends on if you want to get a pure sine wave (Model RS2000) unit or a modified sine wave unit (Model Freedom 458-20) The Dimensions unit is a modified sine wave inverter.

I am going to install the pure sine wave unit (RS2000) and this is the best price I found on it so far http://www.wmjmarine.com/8092000.html

If I am not mistaken, I believe that John Canfield has a writeup on his web site for swapping out his Dimensions unit with Xantrex RS2000 model.

The modified sine wave unit from Xantrex is the model Freedom 458-20. Don't have specifics on it other than I have owned these before and have worked fine.
You'll have to research this option your self some if that is where your interest is.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I replaced mine with an RS2000. Here's a link describing my install: Xantrex RS2000 Install in a Vectra 36RD (long)
I've since added the Auto Generator Start (AGS) as well.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I don't mean to hijack the thread but would anyone consider a refurbished unit. There are some suppliers on Ebay selling factory reconditioned Xantrex units at a nice price. They come with a 1 year warranty.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Also recommend the RS2000. Call Xantrex to see which model of the RS2000 you need. When I changed out the Dimensions for the RS2000, there was only one version of the RS2000 to order. Now I understand there is more than one to choose from.

Details about my swap-out on our RV pages (web site link in my signature.)

resqguy - this is a situation where I want brand-new. The unit weighs maybe 40-50 pounds and I wouldn't want to be in a position to ship it back and forth if it didn't work correctly. You also want a model with the latest software.

I have an old release of the firmware and I need to get it updated; sometimes mine gets confused about what mode it's in (bulk, float, absorb) and the auto gen start wants to start the gen on a low voltage trigger even though the batteries are in float mode. When I was on the phone with Xantrex tech support, the first question he asked me was what version of firmware was in the unit. Conversion over until I get the unit to a dealer to update the firmware.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote