Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-31-2008, 05:21 AM   #1

Coach or Chassis?

If it's my house batteries, and they have run down, how is my generator supposed to start, so I can charge them back up when I am without hookups?

Thanks in advance.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:21 AM   #2

Coach or Chassis?

If it's my house batteries, and they have run down, how is my generator supposed to start, so I can charge them back up when I am without hookups?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

You can use the Aux Start Mom switch to connect chassis battery to coach battery or start the coach.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Generator starts off house battery. If you can't get it to start via the MOM switch recommendation, start the coach, and jump the house and chassis batteries together.

I had a bad MOM switch in my prior coach, and the jumper cable route worked to start the generator with low house batteries. Then ran the generator to charge the house batteries.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The quickest way to charge your depleted house batteries is with your engine alternator. The generator will charge the house batteries through your inverter/converter but this will take much longer.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:04 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
The quickest way to charge your depleted house batteries is with your engine alternator. The generator will charge the house batteries through your inverter/converter but this will take much longer.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, this would be true if I still had the Parallax converter/charger (junk) that Winnie installed. I replaced it with the Progressive Dynamics Convertor, and when your generator runs, the full rated amps will go for charging your house batteries instead of a trickle as with the Parrallax.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, this would be true if I still had the Parallax converter/charger (junk) that Winnie installed. I replaced it with the Progressive Dynamics Convertor, and when your generator runs, the full rated amps will go for charging your house batteries instead of a trickle as with the Parrallax. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your alternator charges at ~150amps. What is the rate for the Progressive Dynamics Converter??

BTW, my Parallax converter has worked fine for over 3 years. I've only added water 3 times. The Suncruiser uses a different Parallax converter then the Voyager. I have the T model 7455T. The T model uses a different Output Charge Curve w/timer and will not boil or over charge batteries. I float to 13.2v after ~13 hours at 14.2v.

The 7445 45amp (used in the Voyager) maybe junk but the 7455T (55amp) certainly isn't, IMHO.

-Tom
Old 03-31-2008, 07:45 AM   #8

Tom, for some reason, I am under the impression that my 150 amp alternator will only charge my chassis battery and not the house batteries. (?)

Maybe back to the original question.

What does my generator start from....my coach or chassis batteries?
Old 03-31-2008, 08:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hi the genny is powered by the house batteries, I found this out recently when they went flat and I couldn't start the genny. Pressing the MOM button didn't work because the relay was u/s so I had to start the engine and jump the batteries.

I think I am right in saying that the MOM switch is powered by the house batteries, so if they were really flat it wouldn't work.

When you turn the ignition key the Chassis battery powers the same relay on immediately and continuously.

This is how my 04 Brave is wired, others maybe different.

Olley
Old 03-31-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
What does my generator start from....my coach or chassis batteries? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You coach batteries start the generator.

Turn the coach batteries OFF and you will hear a clicking when trying to start the generator because the generator will be using the current from the inverter. The inverter will not supply enough amperage to start the generator, thus only clicking from the generator starter solenoid.

-Tom
Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

As said genny starts using house batteries. I to let mine run down to low once just not paying attention. I then just started engine which charges all batteries. In a very short time house batteries would start genny. I then ran genny which I needed at the time anyway and soon all was good to go again.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:54 AM   #12

Ok thanks for the few that answered.

What I think is true from the posts:

1. Your motorhome engine alternator does not charge your house batteries.

2. Most likely, it's your house batteries that are used to start your generator.

3. If your house batteries are dead, you can start your motorhome engine and JUMP your house batteries to start your Generator

4. Your Converter/Charger will be the active charger for your house batteries after you start your generator.

Are these correct statements?
Old 04-01-2008, 03:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is incorrect. When the engine is running the alternator will normally charge both set of batteries. The exception to this might be if the house batteries were too low to energize the solenoid which connects the two battery banks, in which case you might need to jump from one back to the other.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:37 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

The engine alternator charges the coach batteries

On my 04 Brave if you remove the entry door step riser you will see a panal, remove the panel and you will see additional circuit breakers and behind this panel are the solenoids that control the charging.

On a recent trip I had battery problems and had to replace the coach solenoid. In order to charge the batteries I had to make up a jumper from the engine battery to the coach batteries. Used the jumper until I could get home to make repairs.
You should also check the batteries with a hygrometer to isolate a bad cell or two. Cheap at auto store.

If you are having charging problems check the 15 amp fuse that is under the dash labeled step alarm. If your steps are not operating correctly this fuse could be your problem and the antenna light not operating is also a clue.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:51 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Ok thanks for the few that answered.

2. Most likely, it's your house batteries that are used to start your generator.

3. If your house batteries are dead, you can start your motorhome engine and JUMP your house batteries to start your Generator

4. Your Converter/Charger will be the active charger for your house batteries after you start your generator.

Are these correct statements? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. false

2. true

3. true, but it's easier to start the gen, if the house batteries are dead, by using the momentary battery switch on the dash. Both the house and engine batteries will be momentarily connected together and you'll be able to start the generator.

4.true
Old 04-01-2008, 06:03 AM   #16

THANKS!!
Old 04-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Hi Folks: If the posts are true that the HOUSE batteries start the generator, then I must have a real rare coach.

When parked for three months, I failed to notice that the chassis batteries had completely discharged ("0" readout on the control panel). The HOUSE batteries' readout was 13.2V and all systems were functioning in the coach.

I tried to start the generator thinking that it would recharge the chassis batteries, but NOTHING! The generator would not turn over.

I then connected my battery charger to the chassis batteries and after charging overnight, the generator started right up.

Since then, on advice of many of you, I installed a Trik-L-Start and the chassis batteries are up to full charge @ 13.2V. The generator starts right up as well as the coach engine.

Am I crazy, or is my coach different?

De Oppresso Liber - Spooky - 02 JourneyDL
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

It sounds like yours starts from the chassis battery. It is easy to verify. Disconnect the chassis battery and see if it starts. If it doesn't, it is on the chassis battery.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Hi Front Range

re: [Tom, for some reason, I am under the impression that my big 'ol 150 amp alternator will only charge my chassis battery and not the house batteries. (?)]

My Suncruiser has a solenoid that parallels the house and chassis bats off the alternator. In fact, this made it very difficult to track a shorted cell on my chassis batt.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:11 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Hi Folks (again): Well, I disconnected the chassis batteries and the generator would not start (wouldn't even turn over). I reconnected the chassis batteries and the generator started right up. I disconnected the coach batteries and the generator started. Soooo, I guess the Onan 7.5KW diesel gen set on my 02 Journey 36DL is connected to the chassis batteries. I guess you never know how the factory is setting them up each day. THANKS all.

De Oppresso Liber - Spooky - 02 Journey 36DL
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote