Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Where's the converter?

I have a 2010 Itasca Suncruiser. I was wondering where the converter is? The inverter is in a storage bay by the entry door. But I can't find the converter. I know it has one. I seems I can hear it (the fan?) in the bathroom.

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier
Old 08-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Behind the AC breaker panel under the main TV.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Behind the AC breaker panel under the main TV.

That would explain why I can hear it in the bathroom. You have to remove the breaker panel to get to it?

Thanks!

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier
Old 08-24-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwj212 View Post
I have a 2010 Itasca Suncruiser. I was wondering where the converter is? The inverter is in a storage bay by the entry door. But I can't find the converter. I know it has one. I seems I can hear it (the fan?) in the bathroom.

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier
Craig,
Well Sir, I'm not all that familiar with your coach but, if I'm not mistaken, it's a "Gas" coach, correct? And if so, are you sure you've got an "inverter" AND a Converter? The reason I ask is, normally, about 99% of the gas coaches come with ONLY a converter and no inverter. And, about 99% of most Diesel units come with an "Inverter" and no converter. Or, in most cases for the diesel units with an inverter, it's also an "Inverter/Charger" together.

But, you say you actually have an inverter and, it's located in an outside compartment? Of the gas coaches I've seen in the past, the only inverters I've come in contact with are either in or, are very close to the multi-switch box/TV control/VCR-DVD player/ area. I'm always learning about these things so, if in fact you actually have both, it's new to me which, is no big deal.

If you do confirm you have an inverter, may I ask what size it is? The reason I ask is, the primary reason only Diesel coaches have large inverters is because they have LARGE battery banks to support the operation of "inverting" DC power to AC power where as, not many Gas coaches have the same size battery banks. So, that's why I'm curious about your inverter and its size. Again, just learning here.

And, if you have a Converter, it's also quite possible that you have a Converter/Charger as one unit. Just wondering about things here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Yes, it is a gas rig. I have an inverter that operates just the living room tv systems only. I couldn't remember off hand how big it is but that's all it runs. There is a controller for it in the "one place panel". I also am sure it has a converter because it failed a few months ago and had to be replaced. I can see the inverter in the compartment next to the awning controller.

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier
Old 08-26-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Craig,
Well Sir, I'm not all that familiar with your coach but, if I'm not mistaken, it's a "Gas" coach, correct? And if so, are you sure you've got an "inverter" AND a Converter? The reason I ask is, normally, about 99% of the gas coaches come with ONLY a converter and no inverter. ....
Scott:
Your opinion is outdated about gassers not having inverters.

Modern, well-equipped, gassers have many of the features previously reserved for the DPs. Typically, the gasser inverters are 1000 watts or less and they typically only power limited recepticals, but we do have them. These "smaller" inverters often don't have a dedicated battery bank, but now that some OEMs are putting residential refers in their gassers, even that is changing.

WBGO puts the 1000W inverter in an outside compartment NEAR the (2) 12 volt house batteries, usually found under the entry steps in their gassers. I remember being disappointed to learn my inverter was not powering the outlet near the coffee pot, but it does power a 120V outlet next to the passenger seat, which DW uses to power her iPad & WiFi while traveling.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

IMHO Putting a residential refer in a unit with only one or two batteries is asking for trouble. We have several threads about how well that does not work. Any inverter capable of powering a 15A household circuit would have the same problem. I'd much rather have distributed 12V so I could run a small inverter at the point of use.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
IMHO Putting a residential refer in a unit with only one or two batteries is asking for trouble.
I agree. And just to be clear, that isn't what I said. I said because of the use of RR, they are changing from using the 2 house batteries to power the inverter. Ed
Old 08-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I looked up the specs on my inverter, it's 600 watts.

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier
Old 08-26-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Scott:
Your opinion is outdated about gassers not having inverters.

Modern, well-equipped, gassers have many of the features previously reserved for the DPs. Typically, the gasser inverters are 1000 watts or less and they typically only power limited recepticals, but we do have them. These "smaller" inverters often don't have a dedicated battery bank, but now that some OEMs are putting residential refers in their gassers, even that is changing.

WBGO puts the 1000W inverter in an outside compartment NEAR the (2) 12 volt house batteries, usually found under the entry steps in their gassers. I remember being disappointed to learn my inverter was not powering the outlet near the coffee pot, but it does power a 120V outlet next to the passenger seat, which DW uses to power her iPad & WiFi while traveling.
Ed,
I certainly admit I'm no expert on many of these matters. My statements really apply to the larger inverter/chargers on diesels that are around 2000 watt or more and, do have larger battery banks to support them. I know many gassers do come with smaller inverters for TV/VCR/DVD operation but, usually when talking about "Inverter/Chargers" or, "Converter/Chargers" I'm referring to the larger units.

Quote:
I looked up the specs on my inverter, it's 600 watts.

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier
I kind-a thought that might be what you had., Just exactly how each individual motor home is setup from the factory, is kind-a hard to tell but, I've didn't know they'd put something like that in a lower compartment, that far away from the intended use for it which, is the TV/VCR/DVD operation, normally over head in the front. But, I'm not the one who designs these things so, I guess anything goes. Well, we got some things cleared up. Cool.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:35 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Ed,
I certainly admit I'm no expert on many of these matters. My statements really apply to the larger inverter/chargers on diesels that are around 2000 watt or more and, do have larger battery banks to support them. I know many gassers do come with smaller inverters for TV/VCR/DVD operation but, usually when talking about "Inverter/Chargers" or, "Converter/Chargers" I'm referring to the larger units.

I kind-a thought that might be what you had., Just exactly how each individual motor home is setup from the factory, is kind-a hard to tell but, I've didn't know they'd put something like that in a lower compartment, that far away from the intended use for it which, is the TV/VCR/DVD operation, normally over head in the front. But, I'm not the one who designs these things so, I guess anything goes. Well, we got some things cleared up. Cool.
Scott

The compartment is right next to the entry door. The batteries are under the steps so it's close to the batteries. There is also a tv connection and outlet in the same compartment and a slide-out tray for a tv. I put a 30" TV on the slide out. I don't know if that outlet is hooked to the inverter. I'll have to check that out!

Thanks!

Thanks,
Craig and Joan
Old 08-26-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier
Looks to be to the left of the entertainment center
Jesse

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1409105400.508823.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	72109Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1409105436.638192.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	335.6 KB