Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Where's the battery shunt?

I have a Xantrex Digital echo-charger I want to install on my Aspect 30J, to keep the chassis battery charged while the rig is not in use. Installation is pretty straight forward but the echo-charger manual says to connect the ground wire to the negative or load side of the shunt if a battery monitor is used. I am assuming that the "battery charge meter" on the ONEPLACE panel constitutes a battery monitor.

So the question is; where do I find the battery shunt? Anybody know?
navcom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:21 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

If you use Google to search for 'battery shunt' you'll see images of typical shunts. If you have one already, you'll be able to figure out where to attach the negative wire. A shunt is a special resistor that proportionally reduces voltage that is then read by a meter. Your directions are to connect the charger to the terminal of the shunt before the voltage is reduced for the meter.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The Echo should have come with a shunt or if not you would need to purchase one. The shunt connects directly to the negative terminal of the battery and all loads connect to the load side of the shunt. Just remove the negative connections from the battery, connect the battery side of shunt to negative terminal and connect negative cables just disconnected from battery to load side of shunt.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The assumption that your battery charge meter has a shunt could be wrong.

If it shows DC amps in or out it will have a shunt. If it shows volts only, probably not.

No matter, just hook the negative to the negative post of a battery.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I think Twinboat is correct, the function of your battery charger shouldn't be affected by a shunt. Hooking it directly to the battery would be the way to go. I went to the Winnebago site to see what a ONEPLACE is, looks like just a digital display, but I assume it has different capabilities according to what equipment your RV has. Can't tell if the battery level function shows amps or not, as Twinboat says, if it only shows voltage you wouldn't have a shunt built in to it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

navcom48, I just looked at the online owners guide and it did not mention a shunt, from the guide.
" Connect from the echo-charge:
• Ground wire (black) to the negative battery ground.
• Starter Battery wire (red with yellow trace) to the starter battery
positive (+ red) terminal. A 20 amp fuse in this line protects the wire.
• House Battery wire (+ red) to the house battery bank positive (+ red)
terminal. A 20 amp fuse in this line protects the wire."
Winnebago does not use a shunt on there monitoring system.
Xantrex does use a shunt with there battery monitor systems.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the informative replies. BFlinn181, your correct the ONEPLACE is a multifunction display that shows a number of things such as holding tank levels, LP levels, etc., and battery voltage only, no amps. So from what I've learned here, I'd say there is no shunt on this battery setup. So can i hook up the negative side of the charger to the ground point on the frame used by the battery or, as suggested, to the negative battery terminal?

Again, thanks gentlemen for the education and advise.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

grtharris, I call tech support at Xantrex and they said if I had a "battery monitor system" then there should be a shunt and that is where I should hook up the negative. But, from what I'm learning here my winne system is not a true monitor system since it only shows volts.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you use Google to search for 'battery shunt' you'll see images of typical shunts. If you have one already, you'll be able to figure out where to attach the negative wire. A shunt is a special resistor that proportionally reduces voltage that is then read by a meter. Your directions are to connect the charger to the terminal of the shunt before the voltage is reduced for the meter.
Close but no cigar. A shunt is a very low value precision resistor that produces a voltage drop proportional to the current flow. They are typically 50 millivolts @ rated current. You can calculate the shunt resistance by dividing 50 millivolts by the shunt rating.

The meter is actually a 0-50 millivolt meter calibrated in current on the dial. Using a high impedance voltmeter to indicate the current that way allows for good results from poor wiring or long runs to the indicator.

Depending on the metering shunt placement in the circuit can be critical. The old analog meter across a shunt was not location specific. The current crop pf digital indicators use a reference to ground so the shunt has to be in the ground lead.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery