Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2019, 10:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

What can I use these batteries for?

Thanks to my work I have an unlimited supply of 12V, 7Ah rechargeable batteries. I am trying to figure out how I can use them in my RV. On my former sailboat I used them to run 12V fans to circulate air (I could relocate them to anywhere I needed) and would then trickle charge them on shore power. I know that they must have an application in RV's, I just don't know yet what that might be...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WeChat Image_20190614204000.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	171734  
Old 06-15-2019, 06:57 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Well, if you parallel 14 of them together, you have the equivalent of a 98 AH house battery.

A Group 27 battery is about 756 cubic inches, while 14 of these would be about 735 cubic inches,

Many moons ago, pre-LED, I used to carry a couple of these or the 18 AH version to use with a 12 volt CFL lamp outside at camp.

You could use them as wheel chocks, or weights to keep the table cloth from blowing away.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Security System power. WiFi, outdoor TV. Aux brakeaway for toad.

Fitness training!

Ballast for your next boat.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I always wondered if you could use one of these to power the lp gas refrigerator so I could disconnect the main batteries when away from the coach for the day and eliminate the other parasitic drag?
Terry
Dentkimterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
Well, if you parallel 14 of them together, you have the equivalent of a 98 AH house battery.

A Group 27 battery is about 756 cubic inches, while 14 of these would be about 735 cubic inches,
And they could be configured in pretty much any shape you wanted.

How about rigging up a small, general purpose solar power supply with a small solar panel?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentkimterry View Post
I always wondered if you could use one of these to power the lp gas refrigerator so I could disconnect the main batteries when away from the coach for the day and eliminate the other parasitic drag?
Terry
The gas/elect fridge when running on gas, only uses about 0.1A to 0.2A (two tenths of one amp) and when the solenoid to send the gas to the burner is on, that takes another 0.1A.
So I wouldn't worry about the fridge using battery power when in gas mode.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Batteries

I just bought 3 for my Black & Decker 36 volt electric lawn mower.
Mine are listed as 12 volt -12 Ah .
From what my battery supplier tells me ,these can be used for many applications .
Handicap carts to kids scooters.

You can always sell them on E-Bay.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:04 PM   #8
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Connecting the batteries in parallel to make one big battery can be done, but not well without battery management (cell balancing). Batteries are not as simple as they appear to be.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:43 PM   #9
Old Dirt Biker

I had a small 12volt LCD TV with a built-in DVD player. I don't remember the current draw, but it was surprisingly small. Seems to me one of those batteries (or even 2 in parallel) would provide enough power to run the TV/DVD for hours. That would be handy at a campsite, especially to keep the kids/grandkids busy. A nice case that held the batteries with a DC plug is easy enough for kids to use. Add another plug for a trickle charger so you can recharge it when they're done for the day/night. You might also be able to play some video games, although I don't know much about what's available these days.

Someone's idea of hooking one to a portable fan is also great. Sitting outside under the awning on a hot day with no breeze isn't pleasant. A nice to keep the air moving would be more than welcome.

Build a recharger station for the ever-present cellphones, handheld radios, iPads, iPods, etc. Just have a string of USB ports on it to plug in all our electronic 'toys'.

You can also get small inverters that will provide some AC voltage. I'm guessing, but a couple of those might provide enough AC to run some bug zappers. If you're sitting away from the RV at a picnic table or around a campfire and are being eaten by skeeters, a couple of zappers would be handy!

Lots of other handy things if you think about it.
MotoMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries