Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2005, 11:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Our new '04 WI Sightseer 27C came "TV satellite system ready" as standard equipment. I believe that this is only from a point on the roof where an antenna would be mounted to an overhead cabinet on the driver's side. Service manager agrees.

We will go for the roof satellite in the future. Right now we want to use our portable dish on a tripod, outside in the open.

There does not seem to be a satellite-in jack anywhere outside. Cable jack, yes, in the outside "entertainment center" compartment. As far as I know, cable wire is not the RG-6 cable necessary for satellite. Is it possible to hook RG-6 onto the cable wire and pull it thru and go this route?

Service mgr said best way is to install a satellite in box on the outside wall near an interior 110V receptacle and route the RG-6 up to the overhead cabinet. This will be unsightly. ServMgr says walls are solid or foam and interior wiring is difficult if not impossible.

In the end I would like to watch satellite in the front of the coach and also in the bedroom. ServMgr says if RG6 can get to the overhead cabinet, it can then be routed under the chassis to the bedroom and up to the in-jack.

Sorry this is so long. I'm hoping there is an easy solution.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Our new '04 WI Sightseer 27C came "TV satellite system ready" as standard equipment. I believe that this is only from a point on the roof where an antenna would be mounted to an overhead cabinet on the driver's side. Service manager agrees.

We will go for the roof satellite in the future. Right now we want to use our portable dish on a tripod, outside in the open.

There does not seem to be a satellite-in jack anywhere outside. Cable jack, yes, in the outside "entertainment center" compartment. As far as I know, cable wire is not the RG-6 cable necessary for satellite. Is it possible to hook RG-6 onto the cable wire and pull it thru and go this route?

Service mgr said best way is to install a satellite in box on the outside wall near an interior 110V receptacle and route the RG-6 up to the overhead cabinet. This will be unsightly. ServMgr says walls are solid or foam and interior wiring is difficult if not impossible.

In the end I would like to watch satellite in the front of the coach and also in the bedroom. ServMgr says if RG6 can get to the overhead cabinet, it can then be routed under the chassis to the bedroom and up to the in-jack.

Sorry this is so long. I'm hoping there is an easy solution.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

You can use the existing cable in the service bay. That is the way I have mine connected.

It is better to use RG6 than RG59 because it has a lower loss. The few feet in the motor home won't really matter though.
In fact I have used 150 feet of RG59 and got an indicated eighty something percent signal as indicated by the TV. When we replaced it the next day with RG6, the signal only came up a few percent.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:40 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I agree, use the RG-59 for that short run. Be sure to put an A/B switch on the top end though. The dish doesn't put out standard RF signals so you don't want to feed them through your routing switcher to the VCR or TV. Just install an A/B switch and flip it one way when you want to feed the satellite receiver and the other way when you are using it on CATV and want to feed the TVs and VCR.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 11:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

About that cable jack in the outside entertainment center - that's actually an output jack, so you can hook up a portable TV out there.

If your coach is wired like mine, that jack has the same output as the bedroom jack. What ever is selected on the video selector box for the bedroom, shows up at that outside jack.

I don't know where the bedroom video cable joins with the outside cable, but I'm thinking if you disconnect the output to the bedroom on the back of the video selector box, you could then bring a cable from the 2nd LNB to the outside entertainment center jack and connect your second satellite receiver to the jack in the bedroom.

As Clay said, hook your 1st LNB to the cable input in the utilities bay and hook up your primary satellite receiver in the front cabinet.

Of course, doing it this way is totally commiting to satellite and losing your other video sources. Liberal use of "A-B" switches can give you back whatever capability you want.

There's several other threads on here about using the existing cables for satellite.

Again, as Clay said, I and many others have used the existing RG59 with no signal loss problems.

Good luck!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 12:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I am posting a diagram of the way I connected my system. I can use the rooftop TV antenna or the rooftop dish or the cable input in the service bay with either an external dish or a RV park tv cable connected.
The Wingard TV amp does have to be turned off when I want to use the rooftop tV antenna.
The diplexer shown is a special type of splitter that will pass the DC voltage needed for the LNB on the dish. It's available from Radio Shack for about $4 or so.
The wall plate shown is in the back of the cabinet over the driver.

Old 02-06-2005, 06:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> About that cable jack in the outside entertainment center - that's actually an output jack, so you can hook up a portable TV out there.

If your coach is wired like mine, that jack has the same output as the bedroom jack. What ever is selected on the video selector box for the bedroom, shows up at that outside jack.

I don't know where the bedroom video cable joins with the outside cable, but I'm thinking if you disconnect the output to the bedroom on the back of the video selector box, you could then bring a cable from the 2nd LNB to the outside entertainment center jack and connect your second satellite receiver to the jack in the bedroom. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can not use the exterior entertainment jack to feed a satellite signal to the bedroom becuase there is a splitter in this line.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 01:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

TomM
I thought Scooter was talking about the service bay input jack, not the exterior entertainment center.
After rereading his message, he does appear to be talking about the entertainment center.

So Scooter, are you sure there isn't a input jack in the bay with waste water connections?
If you find that jack you can use it as per my diagram above.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Clay L:

Yes there is an input jack in the watewater bay. It is grey wire with no markings and disappears into a loom and up and away.

RG6, I think is black. Grey is probably cable.

Anyhoo, thank you for your input (and to the others who replied). Much appreciated.

It will take me awhile to try out our satellite dish hookup and I will let you know how it worked out.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Clay, I've wondered if a single diplexer could be used like that. It leaves you with one input outside, cable or antenna, but it must be working or you wouldn't have posted it here, eh?

(A second diplexer outside would let you have two hookups, cable and antenna, but if you had cable, why would you want an outside dish anyway, right?)

Thanks,
Tim.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> (A second diplexer outside would let you have two hookups, cable and antenna, but if you had cable, why would you want an outside dish anyway, right?)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-09-2005, 01:35 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(A second diplexer outside would let you have two hookups, cable and antenna, but if you had cable, why would you want an outside dish anyway, right?) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's the way I looked at it. You could add an second A/B switch and an additional input jack in the service bay, but I have never felt the need to do so.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:42 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Scooter
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> RG6, I think is black. Grey is probably cable. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't think Winnebago uses RG6. It's really not necessary for short runs anyway. The grey cable is the one to use.

As a side note, I have used 150 feet of RG59 for a satelite dish installation and got a 80% reading on the signal bar. The next day I changed it to RG6 and only got a couple of percent improvement. That's why I say the short run in th ecoach is not going to matter if it is RG59.