Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water pump lesson learned

While preparing for a trip today, after using the fresh water pump, it would not shut off, just kept running. I shut it off while looking for the problem. My first assumption was a water leak but none found. The flow rate was not strong so this led to the assumption of an air leak in the system. I checked the faucets were off, the connections between the fresh water tank and the pump were tight, and especially the winterization valve in the proper position. I just filled the hot water heater so I checked everything there. Still good.

Finally determined the problem. On my Vista, at the city water connection, there is a valve for city water use or fresh water tank fill. I had partially filled the fresh water tank and left the valve in the tank fill position (the hose was shut off at the house). Switching it to the city water use position (hose still off) allowed proper pressure to build in the system and the pump resumed normal operation.

I checked the owner's manual but this situation with the fresh water tank fill/city water use valve was not discussed so I thought I would pass along the information. Maybe I will save somebody an hour of frustration.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Thanks for sharing... and don't feel badly. You're certainly not the first to beat your head against a wall trying to figure this one out.

I've never figured out why the pump does this or where it might be pumping water either, but it sure does keep running when the city fill level in on "fill".

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Thanks for sharing... and don't feel badly. You're certainly not the first to beat your head against a wall trying to figure this one out.

I've never figured out why the pump does this or where it might be pumping water either, but it sure does keep running when the city fill level in on "fill".

Rick
I don't have the plumbing drawing handy, but if I remember correctly, the pressure side of the pump is rerouting water back into the "fill" side of the tank.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I don't have the plumbing drawing handy, but if I remember correctly, the pressure side of the pump is rerouting water back into the "fill" side of the tank.
So it's just circulating water back into the fresh water tank? Makes sense.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Yep that happened to me a couple years ago and now I got an extra pump!
Felt soooo folish...
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Rick
Yup ... I think it only occurs with the valve 1/2 way between positions (roughly).
Old 05-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

Rick
Maybe it's designed to turn the fresh water tank into a fish well. Check for trout.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Yup ... I think it only occurs with the valve 1/2 way between positions (roughly).
On mine it occurs if the valve is anywhere except FULLY to the "city fill" setting. On "tank fill", 1/2, or wherever else, the pump will continue running with weak flow from faucets.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Judge View Post
On my Vista, at the city water connection, there is a valve for city water use or fresh water tank fill. I had partially filled the fresh water tank and left the valve in the tank fill position.
Don't feel too bad! This must be a common de-winterization issue as just performed the same exercise!! I wrote I up here (Dry Water Leak) hoping to prevent someone from wasting the amount of time that I did!!
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
On mine it occurs if the valve is anywhere except FULLY to the "city fill" setting. On "tank fill", 1/2, or wherever else, the pump will continue running with weak flow from faucets.
Mine too! Replacing the pump isn't hard or difficult, just embarrassing. Especially when you do it in the middle of a busy rest-stop. One of the best tidbits of information I ever received was to always carry a spare water pump.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Your in good company. If I had my pump on when I started to fill the tank the same thing would happen. It was a concern the first time it happened. I love happy endings. Thanks for the memories!
Old 05-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Don't feel bad. Same has happened to me(more than once).

2005 34A Winnie Sightseer
Dave & Jo's Winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thumbs up

Super piece of info. Our's is just 3 months old (to us), and I haven't yet needed to refill the water tank. So now I know.

Thanks!
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #14

Yes - I had a Montana 5th wheel and experienced the same thing! My new class C does not have such a value - just separate connections for city and one for tank fill. A little more trouble but at least I won't leave it on tank fill again like I did before. Well, I better be care I could hook up the city to the tank by mistake and it would eventually really be full!!
n5pht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thanks a million!!!

Newbie here traveling to MS, stopped for the night and had no water pressure and my pump ran nonstop! A little bit of research on this forum and yep, I had the lever on tank fill! I've learned soooooo much from this forum. Thank you everyone!!!!!!!
Rendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendon View Post
Newbie here traveling to MS, stopped for the night and had no water pressure and my pump ran nonstop! A little bit of research on this forum and yep, I had the lever on tank fill! I've learned soooooo much from this forum. Thank you everyone!!!!!!!
Yup. Feels so dumb. But the up side is that you are smart enough to figure it out. Won't be your last time. Been on the road for several years now. I still have those moments. This is a great forum to get a helping thought or two.

Many happy trails to you,

Rick Y

Tags
water, water pump