Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water heater

Has anyone installed a water heater bypass on their 2014 Forza. I also want to install two defrost fans on the overhead. If so, how do I get 12 volts up to the fans?

Theo
Forzatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

water Heater Bypass

Forzatm, here is a 3D drawing from a 2014 Vista 31KE which would be close to what you would need. You can go the the online plumbing drawings and get the parts list.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...31ke_plumb.pdf
I winterize with air and have never used mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water heater bypass.jpg
Views:	4892
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	83352  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hot water heater

Thank u for the reply. The diagram u sent me was for 34 Forza I have a 38R Forza hot water tank is in the far back corner on the left side. There is no access to it.I was wondering if someone figured out how to get to it. There is no cut out at the bottom of hot water tank to get to the water lines and u can't get to it from the top. It is covered by Dryer and shower stall. There is no way to get to water lines. I would like to find a way to do this. To winterize this coach u have to blow out the line and hope that nothing freezes up!!. To put antifreeze in, u have to use 10 gal that is what the dealer told me, and then drain out antifreeze from hot water tank after u fill the lines up. Now the two fans I want to install in the overhead I need to put a hot wire in for the fans. When u have push button breakers, how do I install a hot wire in the fuse box?
Old 01-16-2015, 08:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Forzatm, Remove the front panel very carefully and attach the wire to the back.
Look at sheet 3 in the attached link.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_185576.pdf
Old 01-16-2015, 09:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Hot Water Tank Access

Forzatm, See if this will work for access.
The lower section of lavatory face is removable. The joint is located between upper and lower drawers. See attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	38R Water Heater 1.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	83400   Click image for larger version

Name:	38R Water Heater 2.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	489.8 KB
ID:	83401  

Old 01-17-2015, 07:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hot water tank

Thank u for the diagram, the electrical diagram will help me out alot. The hot water tank diagram that you sent me is not showing the big metal shield behind the sink that's covering the engine fan. I do not have access to the hot water tank because the metal shield is blocking it. I'm going to come up from the bottom cut a hole to get to the water lines and make door so all I have to do is turn a valve for the water bypass. I was walking down my driveway and noticed a black object laying on the ground under the front nose of the MH. I walked over to see what it was and pulled a big metal bracket. I didn't know what it was so I opened up the front hood, looked around, and realized the right side hood lock bracket had fallen off. This bracket is not bolted on but glued on. This could have been disastrous if it had fallen off while I was traveling on the freeway. I'm not going to reglue it back on, I am going to bolt it back on both sides.WTF this is not good at all now I have parts falling off
Old 01-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Siphon Tube

Forzatm you will also have to add a way to get the RV antifreeze into the system. You can add the bypass valve and RV Antifreeze Siphon Tube near the pump.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	38R Water Heater 3.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	83464  
Old 01-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Getting the RV antifreeze into the system is easy.

You can put a bypass system in at any point where teh lines are exclusive to the water heater.. But there is a better option.

First: Are you sure they do not already have a valve or 3 installed?

The better method; Whey Hey blow the lines out.

Just use compressed air and blow the lines out, Drain the heater and blow again, Blow a few more times, then drain and one final blow. (With the drain plug or drain plug/anode in hand, then seal it up.

If the air freezes,, Forget it.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Forzatm,
I can't believe Winnebago no longer installs winterizing systems in their motor homes. You should call them on Monday. Something is not right.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hot water tank

I have all the stuff I need for the bypass and water pump to be put in. And yes I can blow out the lines and yes I have the three valves.I choose to put the bypass in the hot water tank .The factory should have put it in. I called the factory about this the second Day I got this damn thing. Guess what, they could not tell me why it was not put in there. Tech support was like talking to a wall !!!!!!! So I'm in the process of putting it in. The metal bracket for the front hood latch that fell off in my driveway got me PO . All this metal is glued on the back side of the front nose what a way to build a MH!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I would get it back to dealer and let them fix it.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Ok I just got done putting the bypass in that's the end of that. Been working on the front turn signals install one on each side of the MH so people will know when I need to move over a lane. When they sit there beside you they have no clue you want over. Got the over head fans installed and wired up. Front hood latch is bolted in. Now for the rock guard that needs to be taken off and reworked a little and get the oil and filters changed then move to the genset for oil and filter and maybe this pig will be ready to go
Old 01-24-2015, 03:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Forzatm, One of the first things I did on our coach. Did you wire them so they were also marker lights then would flash with the turn signal? Sounds like you have been busy.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

ForzaTM, how did you access the water heater to install the bypass on your 38R? How difficult was it?
ctaurie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:47 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Gtrharris. No I did not do that there were two markers on the side. So I moved up above the ones that were there about 12 inches. But I did think about it. Now for the water heater yes sir it was a pain. First thing u have to do is cut a hole in the bottom where the hot water tank is. Go to the bottom of the tank, look up at the door where the thumb latch is divide it all the way back to the square tubing imaginary line that is your starting point. That should line up to the water line, cut a 5x9 hole 5 inches off the square tubing towards the door and 9 inches to the back. If u want to see more go to the shower and remove the air vent at the bottom u will need flashlight and a mirror u will see the water lines the small space u r working with. This is what I did, oh yeah u have to make a door to cover it .good luck. The plywood u have to cut is one inch or more.

Tags
heater, water, water heater