Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Volume Control w/ New TV and Old Audio?

My 2005 Journey 34H has the W/Q Surround system with the amp below the drivers left foot rest. The coach already had a TV replacement with a 26" that was not hooked up to the surround. After installing a new TV I have connected it back to the surround, and discovered why it was not already hooked up - no volume control.

How have you fixed this issue?

Some options are I'm thinking about are:
  • Sound Bar
  • Line Level Volume - no remote only manual control
  • Pre-Amp with a volume control and remote - if it exists.
  • Replace the current amp with a receiver - requiring speaker re-wire
  • Replace the head unit with somthing that has aux inputs
Old 04-17-2015, 11:15 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

As a person faced with that issue, I had a first solution and a second solution.

1. Since my new LED TV did not come with either a head phone jack or an adjustable audio out, I bought a head phone adapter that takes either the two cable line out or the optical out on my TV, then you can manually adjust the volume via a knob. My wife hated the Q-Surround system in our coach so...
  2. I bought a sound bar. Much better in my opinion. Pairing with Blue Tooth devices was very easy, music sounds better, and TV/movies sound awesome -- not as good as a discreet 5.1, etc. surround system in an S&B house-- but awesome for the money and the environment.
Scott
Old 04-17-2015, 11:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

As you can see in my thread from some time ago (Front LCD TV install in 2005 Vectra (Long)) I just soldered leads onto the speaker terminals of the TV, just as Winnebago had done originally with the big CRT Sony.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkonu23 View Post
As a person faced with that issue, I had a first solution and a second solution.

1. Since my new LED TV did not come with either a head phone jack or an adjustable audio out, I bought a head phone adapter that takes either the two cable line out or the optical out on my TV, then you can manually adjust the volume via a knob. My wife hated the Q-Surround system in our coach so...
  2. I bought a sound bar. Much better in my opinion. Pairing with Blue Tooth devices was very easy, music sounds better, and TV/movies sound awesome -- not as good as a discreet 5.1, etc. surround system in an S&B house-- but awesome for the money and the environment.
Scott
The sound bar might be the only solution for me right now, but I do like the Q-Surround but hate the idea of getting up every time to adjust volume.

What bluetooth options do you have? How is volume controlled on the sound bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
As you can see in my thread from some time ago (Front LCD TV install in 2005 Vectra (Long)) I just soldered leads onto the speaker terminals of the TV, just as Winnebago had done originally with the big CRT Sony.
That is an awesome job you have done on your install. I'm not really willing to void my warranty - especially since I went for a 5 year warranty due to the volatility of being in a bouncing house.

I also want to replace the head unit, is there any reason it needs to be "RV" type? I have not seen any special functions on it. Maybe I can find one with an optical input for aux and kill two birds with one stone. Though I'm sure the amp is "special" too and will need replacement.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

For those who have not purchased their TV yet be advised the Vizio TVs have an analog out put that can be set to variable with the volume control. Last year Winnebago at Forest City removed my hump and installed a Vizio TV for me. The Winnebago sound system plugged right into the TV. We are very happy with it.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I bought a 2-channel 12V headphone amplifier off Amazon, wired it in, plugged in the external speakers and had full volume control. In fact, the amplifier is so powerful, I have its sound control at the lowest setting and still have to turn the TV volume down from its internal speaker setting.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
The sound bar might be the only solution for me right now, but I do like the Q-Surround but hate the idea of getting up every time to adjust volume.

What bluetooth options do you have? How is volume controlled on the sound bar?

That is an awesome job you have done on your install. I'm not really willing to void my warranty - especially since I went for a 5 year warranty due to the volatility of being in a bouncing house.

I also want to replace the head unit, is there any reason it needs to be "RV" type? I have not seen any special functions on it. Maybe I can find one with an optical input for aux and kill two birds with one stone. Though I'm sure the amp is "special" too and will need replacement.
I use bluetooth with my iPhone to pair to the sound bar for music. It works great. I use the optical out for TV sound. The soundbar I installed comes with its own remote to adjust volume and settings, etc. I do not know if it will work with my Hopper remote, but I will try once I move the Hopper to the motor home in May. I am much happier now that my wife likes the sound quality. (I like the sound quality, too... honestly with a movie, I cannot tell where the sound is coming from, the algorithms used to process sound have come a long way since plain SRS.)

Scott
Old 04-19-2015, 02:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Dunkonu23, Which sound bar did you get?
Old 04-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

X2 on which sound bar
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

you hooked it up wrong....

OH,and depending on the amp.. There may be an add on volume control..IF your amp is the same as mine (And no, I do not plan on digging it out to find out what model but the manual I might dig) I have an add-on Volume control...Just pluggs into a jack on the amp.

But if the amp works with DASH radio.. Run TV to AUX-IN on dash radio (Most Dash radios made in this century have a jack that either accepts line indirectly or you can buy an adapter)

IF amp works with HOUSE home theater (Mine does not but.... Home theater does not need it) I feed TV to Home Theater,, if I want high quality (or Quanity) sound (Example PBS music specials) IT Delivers..Oh how it delivers. And remote works for volume.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:55 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Here's the thread that should answer questions:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/sound-bar-238592.html

To save time: Samsung HW-H450 sound bar.

Scott
Old 04-20-2015, 09:23 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
you hooked it up wrong....

OH,and depending on the amp.. There may be an add on volume control..IF your amp is the same as mine (And no, I do not plan on digging it out to find out what model but the manual I might dig) I have an add-on Volume control...Just pluggs into a jack on the amp.

But if the amp works with DASH radio.. Run TV to AUX-IN on dash radio (Most Dash radios made in this century have a jack that either accepts line indirectly or you can buy an adapter)

IF amp works with HOUSE home theater (Mine does not but.... Home theater does not need it) I feed TV to Home Theater,, if I want high quality (or Quanity) sound (Example PBS music specials) IT Delivers..Oh how it delivers. And remote works for volume.
I used the RCA's from the old TV that go to the AMP where it says "TV In". The old tube TV's volume control would have been the volume control. I did not see any available jacks on the AMP for volume control, just two more sets of RCA's marked for AUX.

I installed a PAC LC-1 which does manually control the volume.

The HU is a stock from Winne in 2005, if it has an AUX I don't see it in the controls - though it does have an external CD changer. I will soon be ditching this HU and could use the AUX of the new modern HU.

I might also try the sound bar dunkonu23 recommends and then demote it to the bedroom when I move the TV to behind the passenger and put in a nicer 5.1 system. I would do the 5.1 now but that will need new speakers and I will only want to wire them once I have the TV in its new location. That's a distant future project.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkonu23 View Post
Here's the thread that should answer questions:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/sound-bar-238592.html

To save time: Samsung HW-H450 sound bar.

Scott
Thanks, that's the one I've been thinking about.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:26 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I have one of these from Costco, for a TV in the S&B house. It can also be programmed to work from the volume button on your existing TV remote.
http://www.costco.com/Yamaha-ATS-103...=10301&refine=
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:05 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

The Yamaha sound bar you quoted was on my short list. It has a lot of great features, but I went for a separate subwoofer.

Scott

Tags
audio