Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Vista 30T Battery Isolation Manager ??

We have a 2014 Vista 30 T and we've had one chassis battery fail in three years. Installed the second one and it didn't hold a charge. I'm not believing that the chassis battery is being charged when we are plugged into shore. The WBGO dealer confirmed that for me today as well.

I've read my information provided by WBGO for the BIM (Battery Isolation Manager). According to what is listed it is supposed to charge both the coach and chassis batteries.

"3. Bi-directional Charging
a. Charge Coach Battery when Alternator is charging Chassis Battery
b. Charge Chassis Battery when Converter is Charging Coach Battery. "

That's a direct quote from the Precision Circuits Inc manual.

When we are plugged into shore power the chassis battery reads 12.6-V. The coach batteries read 13.6 V. That's charging the coach but not the chassis battery.

When the engine is running there's 13.6 V at the chassis battery as I would expect.

I have ordered a Trik-L-Start unit and need to find the BIM Relay for the hook up but so far it has eluded me. I've looked under the steps where the batteries are located. The dealer said it was on the drives side behind the front tire. Didn't see it. There are a bunch of covered hoses from the jack pump but no BIM.

I have not looked in the generator area yet but will tomorrow.

Anybody have any idea where to look?????
Old 05-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

TeJay, It is in the smaller upper compartment just behind the driver's side front tire. It is behind the breaker panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 30T BIM 2d.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	162270   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 30T BIM 3d.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	162271  

grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Grant,

Thanks, That's about where the guy from Forest City said it would be but I couldn't find it. Finally I sat in the drivers seat and hit the battery boost switch and I can hear the relay clicking.

It's raining today but I'll open the breaker panel and look. I'm sure it's not easy to get to.

Nice pictures they help as well!!
Old 05-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I am so happy to see I am not the only one experiencing this. My 2016 Vista 30T is the same, when on shore power it does not charge the chassis battery. Good to know there is a solution beyond trying to remember to always turn off the chassis battery switch when parked.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

JgatorAZ , the Battery Isolation Manager will not keep the chassis batter charged if either Battery disconnect is enabled (disconnected).
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have solar panels with a dual controller and never have to worry about that issue.
hfbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Tejay

Here is a manual for the BIM. Check out page 2

David
2013 Vista 27N
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 00-10021-000-Battery-Isolation-Manager-Manual-RevA.pdf (63.3 KB, 144 views)
dwaugh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Just a thought,

If you have that bi-directional relay and it doesn't work bi-directionally, check to make sure the MH builder didn't run "always on" to the ignition terminal, instead of key on.

With "always on", the relay would never allow chassis charging from the house charging system.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery