Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2015, 01:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Vectra Coach and Chassis Battery

I need to replace my Coach and Chassis batteries. I have a 2009 Winnebago Vectra S40WD. Freight liner Maxum chassis and Cummins 8.9L ISL 425 hp engine. What brand/group size of batteries should I be looking for?
dplude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

According to the Built On Freightliner info for your coach your Chassis batteries are Two 950 CCA @ 0oF (-18oC); maintenance-free (group 31). More CCA would be fine, but not less.

I have the original pair of Alliance (Freightliner brand) chassis batteries in my 2005 Vectra and they're still going strong--I would be inclined to replace them when needed with a new pair from Freightliner. Folks have reported good prices from Freightliner dealers as well.

The 2009 Vectra Brochure indicates that you have 4 deep-cycle Group 31 house batteries. These are 12V batteries. The replacements should be Deep Cycle and either flooded or AGM. (If the originals are AGM the replacements should probably be as well, since the ventilation, mounting, etc. may be fine for AGM but not OK for flooded cells.) Some folks might suggest replacing the 4 12v batteries (wired in parallel) with 4 6v ones (wired in series/parallel), but I'll let others make the case for that if they wish--I would stick with the 12v batteries myself.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplude View Post
I need to replace my Coach and Chassis batteries. I have a 2009 Winnebago Vectra S40WD. Freight liner Maxum chassis and Cummins 8.9L ISL 425 hp engine. What brand/group size of batteries should I be looking for?
x2 cbeierl comments. What do you have for and inverter? These batteries should last longer than yours did. I think they are sealed so you don't have much maintenance. Have you cleaned your connections and grounds?
Old 03-23-2015, 12:51 AM   #4

Along your travels drive in to an Interstate Batteries Store. They will remove the old and install the new.
Find your local Interstate All Battery Center | Store Locator | Interstate Batteries
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you all...I appreciate your quick replies and sound advice. BTW, I have a Dimension 2000 inverter. I just purchased the MH (my first Winnebago) and last weekend was only my second time using it. Lots to learn!
dplude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Along your travels drive in to an Interstate Batteries Store. They will remove the old and install the new.
Find your local Interstate All Battery Center | Store Locator | Interstate Batteries
FYI: Winnebago has stopped using Interstate because they were having too many problems with them. This may have changed recently but this was told to me by one of the techs when I was having work done on my rig at the factory a couple of years ago.

Trojan seems to have a good reputation along with NAPA.

Rick Y
Old 03-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplude View Post
Thank you all...I appreciate your quick replies and sound advice. BTW, I have a Dimension 2000 inverter. I just purchased the MH (my first Winnebago) and last weekend was only my second time using it. Lots to learn!
What year is your coach? Are you going to spend a lot of time in it? If so, I would spend the big bucks now for a Magnum pure sine wave inverter. The modified sine wave inverters are tough on most everything it powers. The household type electric blank won't survive that type of power.

Here is a link to the Magnum company: Home - Magnum Energy, Inc.

Happy trails. Hope you enjoy your coach.

Rick Y

Tags
battery, chassis