Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Using TV Antenna

I have a 2009 Sightseer 35J. I'm a bit embarassed because I'm generally right on top of A/V stuff, but I can't figure out why my TVs aren't getting a signal from my antenna. I would have thought that unless I changed something that the TVs would be connected to the antenna and would pick up a channel on a scan. I'm not getting any digital or analog signals, so I'm thinking that the antenna isn't connected. What am I missing?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Do you have a selector box that lets you select Tv or Cable? Also, make sure the TV is set (in the menu) fior TV antenna and not cable.

Ken
Old 05-11-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mo View Post
I have a 2009 Sightseer 35J. I'm a bit embarassed because I'm generally right on top of A/V stuff, but I can't figure out why my TVs aren't getting a signal from my antenna. I would have thought that unless I changed something that the TVs would be connected to the antenna and would pick up a channel on a scan. I'm not getting any digital or analog signals, so I'm thinking that the antenna isn't connected. What am I missing?
Make sure the antenna amplifier is turned on. The digital stations are very directional, so you have to try the antenna on all the points of the compass to find stations and then peak the signal by rotating the antenna when found. You will then have to turn the antenna to appropriate direction for a particular station.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I will also say the antenna amplifier. I didn't have mine turned on for four days, and couldn't understand what was wrong, just faint snow with a shadow or two of the picture.

It was mounted in such a way that I couldn't see the tiny pushbutton on/off switch as it was hidden behind the cable connection. Finally I decided to remove the cable to try and determine whether I had a signal there or not, and there the tiny pushbutton was. Aha...
VI Roamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

There are TWO common and one uncommon problems one of those is sub divided

The standard antenna on many, if not most, RV's is made by Winegard We call it the 'Batwing' but the real name is Sensar. This antenna has a mast-head pre-amp built into it, this needs 12vdc to run. Now for this I will assume you have either this, or another make like it. Here are the problem list:

1: The least common: Winegard Sensars have been know to go into self-osclation This is not good, it causes major problems, and will get you a love letter from the FCC if it happens. Thankfully it does not happen often.. Consider turning the antenna OFF when not needed, Problem 2 is the most common, and tells how to turn it off.

2: No power, this is the sub divided one. Rigs will usually have one of two video control/selection systems A common one is a wall plate, it has a 12 volt outlet, an antenna connection, a button and a light.. LIGHT ON = Power to the antenna, and TV-ANT selected, LIght off = no power to roof, may also indicate PARK CABLE selected. NOTE: the sub part: May also = blown fuse Try pushing the button

The other common system is a box of many buttons. (Grouped by target there are buttons for all the sources IE Groups TV-1, TV-2, TV-3, VCR, buttons VCR (Save for in the VCR group) Park cable, Sat, DVD, TV-ANT, AUX

This will usually have one button, shaped differently, and a light, that is the power button. works like the wall plate save it does NOT select a source, just turns on/off the antenna. NOTE Switch does not need power. only the antenna

3rd problem. The standard coax end is the cheapest piece of crimp-on junk that the RV maker could lay his tool on (or Perhaps Winegard) and those ends are not water tight, they do corrode and/or pull right off the cable. Though I've not replaced the ends on the roof cable (yet) I Have replaced several other cable ends and my rig is only 4 years old this month. Some of those cables did not make it past 30 days

I use a much better "Compression" end. The dang tool is fifty bucks by itself

But I"ve only had one of 'em come off, and that was ... Well, "Exceptional abuse" plus the ones I use are waterproof
Old 05-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I don't have a switchbox. I found the antenna amplifier. It's on the under side of the front cabinet on the passenger side. I get a nice picture from a strong local station up front. The rear TV still doesn't get a signal. I can't believe the rear TV isn't wired to the antenna, but maybe that's the case.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I don't have a switchbox. I found the antenna amplifier. It's on the under side of the front cabinet on the passenger side. I get a nice picture from a strong local station up front. The rear TV still doesn't get a signal. I can't believe the rear TV isn't wired to the antenna, but maybe that's the case.
Do you have a TV jack in the outside entertainment center? There probably is a splitter in the outdoor entertainment center. Most of the Winegard antenna amplifier wall plates have a splitter built into them. If you remove the plate from the wall you should see if the 2nd TV is connected. If it is it probably goes to the outdoor entertainment center where there is a splitter with a cable going on to the bedroom. Hard to believe Winnebago quit putting the switch boxes in for the entertainment center.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Here is the 2009 Sightseer 35J coax wiring diagram

If you don't have the switch it does show two splitters, one at the front TV and one at the Outdoor Entertainment Center with that 2nd output going to the Rear Output (bedroom)
Old 05-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

John Mo, We've got the 2008 35J (Itasca version) so should be nearly identical. We don't have to do anything different with the bedroom TV to get it to work. As long as the front is working, the bedroom is okay... actually it always gets a couple more channels than the front for some reason. Good luck!
emmmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I say again, The AMPLIFIER is in the middle of the antenna, up topside

You found the power supply

That wall plate has a bunch of connections on it's back side

TV-ANT in is one of 'em, Park Cable is another, and there are one or two "TELEVISION OUT" ports too (Depending on the model) this is where your rear TV hooks up

Considering the quality of the coax they put in my rig, poor signal on the rear set is kind of common.

Make sure the amplifier power supply is on since it selects the antenna too. YOu may need to go top side and make sure power is reaching the antenna. to do this obtain a partner, show partner the switch and turn it off, go top side, disconnect the coax from the antenna.

Multi meter set to DC volts 15 volt or higher scale

Red probe to coax center wire, Black to the "Shell"

Have partner push buton, read voltage.. NOTE use of a test lamp (Like a dash indicator lamp bulb) improves the quality of this test
Old 05-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Since TV signals are now more directional as mentioned above, here's an excellent website to help find TV stations and their bearing from you. It has a funny name, but it is fantastic information.

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=90

Make sure you put in your antenna height off the ground and check the box that says "Show lines pointing to each transmitter".

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote