Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Had someone ask me the other day how I did my upgrade and I thought I would attempt to "show and tell." If it works, there will be pictures as we go along.

I did some measuring and figured out that a 27" LCD flat screen would fit in the space up front.

First I took out the old TV and the mounting bracket that goes with it.

I next cut a piece of 1/2 inch plywood with the front the curved shape of the remaining Winny cabinet, stained it cherry, and mounted the TV to it. Here is the front view.

I did not want the TV to be bouncing around, so I used some light weight angle "iron" (actually the stuff you hang a garage door opener with to help support from the back where you can not see. Here is what it looks like.

Here is a close up of the mount.

I had left in the bolts that held down the old TV strap -- they serve the purpose of being my hold down bolts for the new TV.

I drilled some new access holes in the sides (both sides) which also serve to let some of the heat out that is generated by a LCD screen.

Here is a picture of the new TV set in place where the old "monster" sit.

I had pre-drilled holes for the mounting bolts and the new mounting board with the TV attached fit right over them. I used large washers on the plywood to increase the holding power of the nuts.

This is a picture of the volume control that I have installed as the volume out on the new TV is a non-variable volume (we have discussed this in another thread recently). It mounted nicely on the board that the TV was mounted on.

Next I put the old trim piece back on, secured the little buttons with silicone, tested it and DW was very happy with her new "picture show." While I was doing the TV, we also replaced all of the components with digital components -- what a difference.

If all of this makes it through (pics included), I want to say it was due to Bob's help in telling me how to get the pictures loaded. If it don't make it, it is my fault for not being able to follow instructions.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Had someone ask me the other day how I did my upgrade and I thought I would attempt to "show and tell." If it works, there will be pictures as we go along.

I did some measuring and figured out that a 27" LCD flat screen would fit in the space up front.

First I took out the old TV and the mounting bracket that goes with it.

I next cut a piece of 1/2 inch plywood with the front the curved shape of the remaining Winny cabinet, stained it cherry, and mounted the TV to it. Here is the front view.

I did not want the TV to be bouncing around, so I used some light weight angle "iron" (actually the stuff you hang a garage door opener with to help support from the back where you can not see. Here is what it looks like.

Here is a close up of the mount.

I had left in the bolts that held down the old TV strap -- they serve the purpose of being my hold down bolts for the new TV.

I drilled some new access holes in the sides (both sides) which also serve to let some of the heat out that is generated by a LCD screen.

Here is a picture of the new TV set in place where the old "monster" sit.

I had pre-drilled holes for the mounting bolts and the new mounting board with the TV attached fit right over them. I used large washers on the plywood to increase the holding power of the nuts.

This is a picture of the volume control that I have installed as the volume out on the new TV is a non-variable volume (we have discussed this in another thread recently). It mounted nicely on the board that the TV was mounted on.

Next I put the old trim piece back on, secured the little buttons with silicone, tested it and DW was very happy with her new "picture show." While I was doing the TV, we also replaced all of the components with digital components -- what a difference.

If all of this makes it through (pics included), I want to say it was due to Bob's help in telling me how to get the pictures loaded. If it don't make it, it is my fault for not being able to follow instructions.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Dave

This is great -- I am planning to do the same thing on our 2004 Meridian and this really helps. I did wonder if you knew of a way I can enlarge the pictures to get a better look at what you did.

Thanks again for posting this!

Rick

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Rick, go up to the photos section at the top of the page and look for the pictures there. Double click on the photos in the album and you can see a larger picture. If you can not get there, let me know and I will email you separately the pictures which will show up on your computer larger.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Aha -- the photos section! Outstanding -- I don't know how I missed those before.

Thanks again for the great post!

Rick

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:57 AM   #6
GG1
Winnie-Wise

What did you use to secure the angle irons to the upper rear of the TV? Also the bracket on the rear center bottom, did that come with the TV for mounting purposes or did you make it?
Old 08-03-2007, 05:31 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

GG

I used the holes in the TV for the wall mounting bracket that were already there. I found some bolts that fit the threads exactly and were the right length. The mount on the bottom of the TV was there -- it was where the normal "foot" for the TV was (the flat piece attached to the TV to allow you to sit it on a stand. I removed the "normal" stand and then used the holes to bolt it to the plywood mounting.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

We're trying to do the same thing on our or Voyage but can't figure out how to access the inside of the cabinet to remove the hold-down strap. Help!
bird lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The wood frame around the tv has to be removed then the strap bolts can be accessed and the strap removed and then the tv is ready to come out.
Be aware, the TV is heavy.
The Photos in the photo gallery are larger and clearly show the whole deal.
Great Photos.

You have done a great service for all of us in posting those photos.
Thank You.

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Nice job! We arent as handy as you so our Journey is currently at the shop getting this done. We are upgrading to a 32" LCD Samsung.

Hope it comes out as well as yours did! Great job!
flashajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #11
KIX
Winnebago Master

Super job Dave........sorry it took so long to respond but my excuse is that we were camping