Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Unable to start 2007 Mercedes turbo diesel view

We just purchased this used View about 6 weeks ago. We took one two-night trip and everything worked perfectly. About two weeks ago, we started it without problem. But then we tried to start it a week ago, and it wouldn't start. We've replaced the battery, to no avail. Sometimes the starter tries to turn over, but then nothing happens. At the same time, we can't get power to the living quarters either. If we plug it in to the house power, we see that the battery is fully charged. When we unplug it, nothing works - except the steps, which do extend and retract. No idea if the two problems are related, but they occurred at the same time. Any help would be much appreciated.
Harlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlene View Post
We just purchased this used View about 6 weeks ago. We took one two-night trip and everything worked perfectly. About two weeks ago, we started it without problem. But then we tried to start it a week ago, and it wouldn't start. We've replaced the battery, to no avail. Sometimes the starter tries to turn over, but then nothing happens. At the same time, we can't get power to the living quarters either. If we plug it in to the house power, we see that the battery is fully charged. When we unplug it, nothing works - except the steps, which do extend and retract. No idea if the two problems are related, but they occurred at the same time. Any help would be much appreciated.

By chance did someone turn the battery disconnect switch off?
Old 08-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

What and where is the battery disconnect switch? I don't find any reference to it in our owner's manual.
Thanks.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
What and where is the battery disconnect switch? I don't find any reference to it in our owner's manual.
Thanks.
According to the wiring diagram you do have one. Possibly the "Aux Batt" switch.

My reread of the problem seems to lead to a poor connection, possible grounding. Because I don't know much about your RV build I am not a good resource. Take a look here for your year and model: https://winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm You may find some of this information useful. I hope you find your problem soon.

Rick
Old 08-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Found the battery disconnect switch

As you can tell, we are newbies. We found the switch, and indeed, it was turned off. It's back on now, and the house electrical system is working. However, we still can't get it started. Looks like we will be getting it towed I need for service.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:30 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
As you can tell, we are newbies. We found the switch, and indeed, it was turned off. It's back on now, and the house electrical system is working. However, we still can't get it started. Looks like we will be getting it towed I need for service.

Does your RV have a switch marked BOOST in the center console below the HVAC controls????? It's on the left front. On the right side, there's a switch to put the radio stack on the coach OR the chassis battery. (You need to check to see that it is left on Coach. The system should self protect and shut down the circuits when you turn the coach master electrical off.)

The BOOST switch allows you to connect the chassis battery (presumably flat or down on charge) to the coach's battery bank. This allows a jump start.

Push and hold the BOOST switch on. Put the key in and turn it to the 'run' position. Don't start it yet. Wait a couple minutes for the chassis battery to take a slight charge. THEN.... key off and wait a few seconds.... THEN (while STILL holding the BOOST BUTTON IN, start the engine. Once it's running let the BOOST button go.

TIP: If you have a generator, fire it up and start charging the coach batteries. Leave it run while 'BOOSTING' the chassis battery for a start. The genny will help put a small charge on the chassis battery while you are boosting.

Once you have everything running...... Do you have a One Place panel in the RV? That's where you can check the fill of the three tanks and the charge on the batteries. With the generator running and the engine running, call up the state of charge/voltage levels on the batteries. You should be seeing 13+ to 14 volts on each one. This tells you that the genny and the engine are charging batteries. You can shut down the genny. After 10-15 minutes go back and check the SoC on the coach battery. Should be 12+ to 13V roughly.

OK... since the chassis battery was very low SoC, you want to run the engine for a good length of time before you shut it down. Driving it is a good thing.... but not necessary. You just want to put a good charge on it before shutting down.

TIP #2: Generator charges coach battery bank and powers inverter for 12V systems
110V shore power charges coach battery, powers inverter and charger
Sprinter engine: charges both battery sets, powers inverter and 12V systems.

CONverter: takes 110V power and converts it to 12V. the INverter, takes 12 V DC power and changes it to 110V AC power (like for the microwave, coffee pot, CPAP, etc..
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Going in for service

All,

Thanks for your replies. We tried all the suggestions for getting our rig started, and nothing worked. We boosted, jumped, charged - and even bought a new battery. It is scheduled to be hauled in for service on Monday. I'll post once I know what the problem was.

Thanks,
Harlene
Old 08-26-2018, 01:34 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
All,

Thanks for your replies. We tried all the suggestions for getting our rig started, and nothing worked. We boosted, jumped, charged - and even bought a new battery. It is scheduled to be hauled in for service on Monday. I'll post once I know what the problem was.

Thanks,
Harlene

Dang!!!!

Betting on the Y cable. Pls let us know the outcome! Holding our breaths!!!
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

It's a mystery

Well, the good news is that we have our rig back, and it's starting just fine. The bad news is that they have no idea why it wasn't starting to begin with! We had it towed in, and it started right up for the service technician. They did thorough diagnostics, and found everything to be in good order. We have it back home now, and are planning some short trips in it to try to gain back our confidence in it. Hopefully we will not have any further issues.

Thanks to those of you who responded to my post.

Harlene
Old 09-03-2018, 06:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Well, the good news is that we have our rig back, and it's starting just fine. The bad news is that they have no idea why it wasn't starting to begin with! We had it towed in, and it started right up for the service technician. They did thorough diagnostics, and found everything to be in good order. We have it back home now, and are planning some short trips in it to try to gain back our confidence in it. Hopefully we will not have any further issues.

Thanks to those of you who responded to my post.

Harlene
That's a bummer. Caulk it up to a RV gremlin. Hate them. GERRRR.. Hope yoyur next trip out is more pleasant.
Happy trails.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

OP when you get a "feel" for the new rig and accustomed to the features etc. I have a suggestion to help with the chassis (starting) battery; install a Trik-L-Start. There are several videos online showing how to do it, fairly simple and not very difficult at all. That little device allows to chassis batteries to be charged whenever the house batteries are being charged over 13.2 VDC. If you are plugged into shore power the chassis batteries will then stay charged as well. It is time and $ well spent to save aggravation. My thoughts about your problem seem to point to a loose connection/ground somewhere so I would look from the chassis battery to the starter. Then again - maybe the "gremlin" theory works but seldom has for me.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:31 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Sure sounds like a loose wire or ground someplace......................

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel