Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I am installing a Xantrex RS2000 Charger/Inverter and just noticed that the two terminators provided were wired differently internally; one with a pair of red wires, the other with a pair of green wires. I wonder if this is by design, or did the person who filled the box make a mistake. Not any where that I have searched in the Xantrex literature is there mention of two different male terminators.

Could it be that one goes on the inverter and the other on the control panel, and if so, which on which? Perhaps it doesn't make any difference, but not knowing for certain is not an option for me. Can anyone illuminate this subject for me?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I am installing a Xantrex RS2000 Charger/Inverter and just noticed that the two terminators provided were wired differently internally; one with a pair of red wires, the other with a pair of green wires. I wonder if this is by design, or did the person who filled the box make a mistake. Not any where that I have searched in the Xantrex literature is there mention of two different male terminators.

Could it be that one goes on the inverter and the other on the control panel, and if so, which on which? Perhaps it doesn't make any difference, but not knowing for certain is not an option for me. Can anyone illuminate this subject for me?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

Call Xantrex Customer Service for your answers.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I installed an RS2000 a couple of years ago and I'm afraid I don't know what 'terminators' you are referring to

I think there are some differences between my model and current ones, so maybe I'm working with old knowledge.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

John, the terminators are inserted into a second jack, the first jack being for the CAT5 cable.
I suppose that Xantrex put a pair of jacks on each device, so as to allow "daisy-chaining". Since the only two devices I'll be using are the inverter/charger and the control panel, and since these two devices have a pair of CAT5 jacks, one of the pair are for the cable, and the second unused jack needs to have a terminator; supposedly to prevent unnecessary polling by the controlling device's internal computer. Perhaps???? Lots of conjecture on my part.

Wendell
Old 07-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hi AA4WP,

If the communications system uses a terminator, my guess is that it is some type of CAN bus. If that is the case, one terminator would go on the RS2000 and the other would go on the control panel. Doesn't mater which connecter the cable or terminator goes into on each device.

You would be correct that it's for daisy chaining and the terminator would move to the last unit on the line.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Wendell - okay - now I understand

I'm pretty sure Xantrex uses standard Ethernet for the interface - the terminator can go into any open jack - it shouldn't matter. They don't want an unterminated leg on the network to avoid problems.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

John, thanks for the reply.

My main concern was that the two terminators are not identical, raising the question, should they be the same, or if not the same, which goes in device "a" and which in device "b". Going on, if there were three devices, I would get a unequal number of greens vs. reds. Then what?

I think I'll wait XYL gets off the phone and try to see if Xantrex will respond to this question.

Meanwhile, I went out today to buy a length of flexible 50 amp 4 conductor cable. I found some canibalized (?) cable and had to pay $6.50 / ft. for it. Gonna hook up the surge guard, but the original cable is so stiff that I could not work with it. The terminals on the Surge Guard are not that strong, I don't think. So I'll clamp the flexible cable to the bulkhead and wire the new cable after saturating the tips with solder to the Surge Guard terminals. That, I hope, will be a secure connection; every thing clamped down and tight.

Cheers...
Old 07-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Well, you talk about dumb! I was looking at the front of one terminator and comparing it with the back of the second terminator. It seems that the terminators are the same, except for the color of the insulation of the wires as observed through the clear plastic.

I installed the RS2000 and the System Control Panel (SCP) with the two terminators; all is seeming to be working very fine. What a relief to get the system installed.

Cheers.