Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2004, 02:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Here's an interesting one folks. "03 Adventurer with the RCA 25" front TV. Simply won't turn on. Unpluged TV from back of inverveter and plugged into working (verified by meter) 110v duplex. Again, TV won't turn on with either remote or on button at TV. Called RCA service, can only say looks like problem with TV. Called dealer, said there is usually a fuse inside TV cabinet. So, removed TV, put on bench in shop, removed back cover and yes, found fuse. Put fuse on meter and fuse is ok. Still won't turn on. Then got online to find replacement. Everyone no longer stocks this set. Found a review were one guy had same problem, had it repaired (was told it was a cold soldered connection in the horizontal drive circuit) then went out again after a few months.

It's clear that the cost to repair this thing will be close to replacing it. The problem: it looks like the Audio Out plugs on the back have been added after market (these supply the surround sound). I can find TV's with the typical 3 A/V IN plugs (video, left and right) but not the Audio Out plugs (left and right). Of course, leaving for a 5 week trip in 5 days. Anybody have any ideas for frustrated in Tulsa??
Old 07-16-2004, 02:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Here's an interesting one folks. "03 Adventurer with the RCA 25" front TV. Simply won't turn on. Unpluged TV from back of inverveter and plugged into working (verified by meter) 110v duplex. Again, TV won't turn on with either remote or on button at TV. Called RCA service, can only say looks like problem with TV. Called dealer, said there is usually a fuse inside TV cabinet. So, removed TV, put on bench in shop, removed back cover and yes, found fuse. Put fuse on meter and fuse is ok. Still won't turn on. Then got online to find replacement. Everyone no longer stocks this set. Found a review were one guy had same problem, had it repaired (was told it was a cold soldered connection in the horizontal drive circuit) then went out again after a few months.

It's clear that the cost to repair this thing will be close to replacing it. The problem: it looks like the Audio Out plugs on the back have been added after market (these supply the surround sound). I can find TV's with the typical 3 A/V IN plugs (video, left and right) but not the Audio Out plugs (left and right). Of course, leaving for a 5 week trip in 5 days. Anybody have any ideas for frustrated in Tulsa??
Old 07-16-2004, 04:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I can tell you that bad soldering has been a real problem for several years. Apparently some of the wave soldering systems just don't do a good job. I had one set go back under warranty three times for bad solder here or there. Another set has had at least two episode of bad joints. Fortunately mine were in home sets, and I did not have to go through the agony of removing one from the M/H.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

check a sound shop or a car stereo installation store. The Sound shops are installing home theaters and surround sound and maybe they can help you with the audio out problem. Good Luck and
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 10:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Michaels, I cant tell from your post if you have determined that you have power to the tv set when it is installed in the MoHo. On my 04 Adv. there is a white, aprox 1.5"x2.5" circuit breaker , "Dimensions" brand, in the upper left hand position of the entertainment center. This breaker is in a position where it is esasily tripped when working up there. If you are so equipped, make sure it is "on".. "Off" will kill the power to the tv, dvd-vcr, etc...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 10:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Michaels, on re read, I see you DID try it in a known outlet.. Sorry....rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 12:11 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I had a JVC set at home that failed to come on. Seems there was a simple power relay in the back that popped. An A/V tech replaced the relay and it worked. By the way, my JVC set did have audio outs on the back. If you decide to replace the set, take a look at JVC - they are good stuff.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 04:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

If I could make a suggestion. Pull the tv out and plug it into a house outlet. Make sure that you hook up a working cable. I found that my tv does not like to come on if it doesn't see a working signal from cable or antenna.
If it still doesn't work you have a choice get it fixed or replace. Any chance it is still under warranty.
Bill

Toad - GMC Envoy
bsmith8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 01:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

We just went through the "TV" not going on but we did get sound, so we removed it from the big black hole and took it to a TV repair and for $80, it is fixed! Bad soldering was the culprit.

Highly suggest you find a good local TV repair place as finding a replacement to fit the big black hole is tough, particularly with the Audio output!
Old 04-16-2005, 01:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Oops..

2002 Adventurer 32V
Toad - Honda CRV
Old 04-17-2005, 05:59 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Its an RCA what do you expect. Had trouble with there product many times. Junk made by Thompson Electronics. Dumped the one that came with our MH.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 06:19 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Original post 7/16/04, wonder if he has his problem resolved yet??? I woulda used it for an anchor if its not fixed yet. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:53 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Awhile back I had a post about replacing the 19" RCA with a 20" Flat Screen Emerson from Walmart ... $119.00 and it has the Ausio and AV jacks on the front and the TV speakes are below the screen. Ran Audio and AV wires fo the DVD. Opted to eliminate the VCR. Everything fit perfectly and it only needed a bumber on top to take up the left over space( used a rubber non slip placemat pad rolled up and tucked in place). I also eliminated the steel tab(sawzalled it off) drilled a few holes and opted for 9/16" bolts... then I covered the threads with clear plastic tube cut to length. These were spaced so as not to allow the TV to move forward and were clear of the speakers and jacks. It made any future removal a simple matter. Hope this helps. FrankieJ

2001 Adventurer 32V
FrankieJ is offline   Reply With Quote