Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

TV While Driving

Just purchased a 1996 Itasca Sunrise. It has the TV Mounted in the front between driver and passenger seats. Was wondering....will this run while I drive? Taking it out for its maiden voyage to Florida in a week with 3 teenage boys. Ohio to Florida, will need their TV and Playstation. haha

Guess question is, do I have to run the generator to get power to the inside, or will it run off the aux. batteries and will those keep charged from engine running?

Thanks......Newbies.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I too have a TV mounted up front. There is a safety power switch that cuts off AC power to the TV when the engine is running. It would be easy to just plug the TV into the alternate recepticle, but it really is there for everyone's protection.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Many states have laws that prohibit the use of a TV which is visible from the drivers position. Many are wired so that the TV is shut down when the ignition is on. This feature can be bypassed, but you do so at your own risk.

If the TV is 12 VDC it can be operated from the batteries. If it is 120 VDC, you will need to run it from the generator or use an inverter.

Personally, I would not chance a ticket. If the kids need to see a movie or such, to stay entertained, I'd buy a portable DVD player that they can see from their seat belted positions.

Ken
Old 06-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I recommend addind a TV line to a location farther back, perhaps the galley counter, (mine is on the end of said counter) and straping a portable where the kids can see it but the driver can not.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #5

We have a TV mounted in a similar location. Despite my best efforts to not "take a look" while I am driving the temptation is often too much. When that "Girls gone wild" commercial comes on you simply don't want to be in a vehicle anywhere near me!
As has been said, it's likely that you have an ignition interlock that prevents the TV from operating when the ignition is turned on (easy to test, just turn the key while you are parked and watching TV. If it goes out you have your answer). This is easily by-passed if you choose but the best recommendation is to setup another TV behind the drivers view if you intent to use your TV while driving. The fine is quite healthy and I believe that most, if not all, States do not allow the driver to view TV. In addition to the money, it is a moving violation so can add to your insurance costs for years to come.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

You will most likely want to run the generator for A/C anyways. The cab A/C will not be enough to keep the coach comfortable. That is assuming you have a generator. There fore you have 120V.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for all the advice. Greatly Appreciated. So I assume (if I decide) that the generator will have to be running to get power to RV either way we do it. The front TV or another.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Wen we had a motorhome, we often ran the generator so that we could get some hours on it and keep the coach cool. Very few Rv generators get enough hours on them.

Ken
Old 06-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #9

Most coaches will have an inverter and will allow you to watch TV and run many of your electronic toys with no need for a generator. There may be some times when it's very hot outside that will require you to run the genset to power your residential A/C unit(s), but in most cases you should do just fine without the need for the generator unless your coach has no inverter (in which case you should have one installed).
Old 06-26-2010, 03:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The reason I suggest you use your genset is more for the A/C . This in turn will also provide the 110v needed for any appliances. Since you are leaving for FL in about a week, it will be hot. It is in the high 90's here in NC and only gets hotter as you drive south. The genset will use apprx 1/2 a gallon per hour of fuel, be it gas or diesel. The cab air will take power from the engine , won't be able to keep the coach cool for everyones comfort and cost you the same or more to run in gas mileage. Another plus to running the genset & coach A/C is when you get to your destination for the evening the coach is already confortable & after the long day behind the wheel then setting up you can relax in comfort.
Have a great trip.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Does your coach have an in motion satellite?
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Hi Mel & Tammy We went to Fla. last July,(from S/E PA), my wife & I,,my sister and 8 yr. old nice, we ran the genny for the A/C and my niece watched her movies from the bedroom tv or her portable DVD player,(it has a 12v adpter,a 110 adpter and runs on batteries),no problem keeping her ocupied,and some travel game books,and a daily journal,we made a 3 week trip out of it. Goor luck and hve a good time
Rick & Robin
RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

again, thanks for all the great ideas. no we dont have an in motion satelite, but planned on them playing games mainly
Old 06-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Ok, I see now that the TV will work off converter box if I have the aux. batteries on. Question is, will those batteries charge while driving down the road thru the alternator?
Old 06-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmckayiii View Post
Ok, I see now that the TV will work off converter box if I have the aux. batteries on. Question is, will those batteries charge while driving down the road thru the alternator?
Yes!
Old 06-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Have a great trip! We just got back from 2 weeks with boys, and they played their DS's most of the time, and read, and cards. We had planned for the movies which they had used alot before, we have a portable double-dvd player which also can be a playstation. Didn't even crack that open and we were in the RV ALOT (mass-south dakota and around). Once we got to our locations the DS's were put away, and all was well. Be sure to pack lots and lots of snacks!
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplefans & Harvey View Post
Have a great trip! We just got back from 2 weeks with boys, and they played their DS's most of the time, and read, and cards. We had planned for the movies which they had used alot before, we have a portable double-dvd player which also can be a playstation. Didn't even crack that open and we were in the RV ALOT (mass-south dakota and around). Once we got to our locations the DS's were put away, and all was well. Be sure to pack lots and lots of snacks!
What is a DS?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #18

Nintendo