Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

TV Signal Converter

I finally just got around to installing a digital converter to the outside antenna. The MH is a 36G Journey 07 model. I connected the converter between the outside antenna and the switch panel located above the entry door. When I tried it out the front TV worked great. The picture on the rear TV was great but I noticed a substaintal amout of static on the audio side. I originally was tuned to channel 4 on both the Direct TV, Digital Converter and TV's for the continous signal transfer. I switched to Channel 3 on all the equipment to see if that would eliminate the problem. It did reduced it a little but not 100%. Front TV still works fine with no static but rear still has static. ?? Any suggestions apprecitaed.

dog
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have pretty much the same problem, but I even have picture static on the rear tv. I actually put my box inline with antenna in, into the vcr/dvd combo box ours has. Did this because there was ac in left cabinet but not on the right.

Talking with friends, unfortunately we think that the new D->A converter box may not be meant to have such a long output cable put on it. Other than adding a box to each tv rather than the antenna in, not sure what to do.

e.t.a thought about putting a signal booster on the output, but yet another box in a tight space. Guess we just need to go HD.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #3

Be certain that you are NOT connecting the converter between the antenna and a video controller that is powering the antenna. You must connect the converter on the output side of the converter so that the 12V power needed for the proper antenna operation will not be effected. This can also damage the converter. You will either need 2 converters for 2 TV's or you will need to add a splitter from the converter to the 2nd TV instead of using the push buttons.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Bill,
I have a crank up antenna so I don't understand the 12 V power issue. I connected the box between the antenna in cable and the "switch" box where you have SAT, CD, VCR etc for the front and rear + Aux systems. This is the push button panel over the front cabinet at the entrance door. There is only one "rabit antenna" in line from the roof mount and this goes into the "switch panel. This switch panel acts as a splitter for the different signals from either the SAT antenna or the roof mount regular "rabit ears." Like the above post maybe it is a distance thing.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If your switch box has a "power" button, when you turn it on, it sends 12v "back" up the coax to the antenna to power up the signal booster. If you attach the converter in between this, the switch box will be sending 12v back into your new converter box.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info, I guess I'd better disconnect and switch the converter position. Currently it's between the antenna and switch box. What I'm hearing everyone say is that it needs to be between the switch box and the TV.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I had the same plan to add one convert box between the switch box and the antenna then I rembered about the power going to the antenna. I added 2 boxes one on the front tv and one on the rear tv. Also be sure and get the converts with pass thru so the analog signal from the DVD, VCR and satelite will pass thru.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Better to have two converters unless you plan on watching the same thing on both tvs. The rest are right, the cable from the antenna should only be connected to the switch with the little red light. However, the other two connections one is for cable in, the other is antenna/cab.e out to tv. You could put a converter box in that line, if the box has analog pass-through. If not, it will block your cable signal. Best is a converter at each TV.
Noelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Please describe the switch panel.

IN most cases. If you have a Winegard antenna there should be NOTHING save coax between the antenna and the switch box.. The reason for this is very simple.. The switch box has a 12 volt lead.. Actually it has 2 of 'em the other one is the antenna coax. It provides POWER to a pre-amp built into the antenna.

If you put the converter between the antenna and the switch.. Things do not work properly

Now as to your problem

You may have a bad coax switch to television.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

You said that the front TV worked fine and you only had problems with the rear TV. That means that where you inserted the converter is probably ok. Some times the converter/charger puts noise on the rear TV. Just unplug the converter/charger to see if that is the sources of the interference. There is probably a splitter in the line to the rear TV to feed the outside entertainment center. If you don't use the outside TV connection, removing the splitter will double the signal strength to the rear TV.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #11
Jim
Winnebago Owner

hi..i have always had poor reception to the rear tv..first where would i find the splitter for the rear tv and outside connector?..second , i hooked up 1 converter in the front and another in the rear..the one in the rear would not pick up as many signals as the front one..so i removed the cable from the antenna connection on the distribution box and inserted a splitter with one cable going to the antenna in connection on the dist box and the other to the antenna in on the converter box..the output from the converter box goes to the aux in on the distribution box..for the rear tv i removed the converter box and used a cable connecter in its place..to access the converter box signal i use the aux button for the front and rear tv...if you want the ability to use a separate converter box in the rear, insert it in place of the cable connecter and use the antenna button on the converter box..hope this makes sense..jim..
Old 11-26-2009, 07:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Jim, the splitter is probably behind the coax jack on the outside entertainment center. Remember, whenever you install a 3-way splitter it cuts the signal level in half.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Check this link http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/wine...tml#post369443

2005 Itasca 38R Suncruiser
Frank (Wires) & Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Jim, the splitter is probably behind the coax jack on the outside entertainment center. Remember, whenever you install a 3-way splitter it cuts the signal level in half.

Right idea, bad math

A perfect 3-way splitter cuts the signal into thirds. so there is a 2/3 reduction to each TV, a perfect 2-way by 1/2.

In practice it's more like a 75% loss with either a 2,3 or 4 way due to the way they make 'em.. (They split the signal 4 ways, this is the simplest way to preserve what is called impedance, then they send out as many quarters as they want) And again, even that's being optimistic.

That said... 3db is what we call 1/2 S-Unit.. not enough to really notice (that's 1/2 power) in most cases