Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

TV Antenna Problem

New to this forum and motorhoming. I've learned a lot by doing searches for issues I have -- and have been able to answer most (most recent on how to remove slide awning for replacement). But can't find a thread on this subject. I have a 1996 Adventurer with a crank up TV antenna. I can crank it up with no problem and figured out how to turn it from inside the coach. However, after turning both ways it stopped and I was unable to center it for lowering ... climbed on top of the coach and centered so the wife could crank it down. Now after cranking back up, I'm unable to turn either way from inside the coach ... what am I doing wrong or what did I screw up the one time I had it up and able to turn?
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tprochaz View Post
New to this forum and motorhoming. I've learned a lot by doing searches for issues I have -- and have been able to answer most (most recent on how to remove slide awning for replacement). But can't find a thread on this subject. I have a 1996 Adventurer with a crank up TV antenna. I can crank it up with no problem and figured out how to turn it from inside the coach. However, after turning both ways it stopped and I was unable to center it for lowering ... climbed on top of the coach and centered so the wife could crank it down. Now after cranking back up, I'm unable to turn either way from inside the coach ... what am I doing wrong or what did I screw up the one time I had it up and able to turn?

Chaz, these things are subject to alot of abuse from the wind and rain. They are pretty easy to disassemble and check for wear. Look at their website for instructions. The gears etc. are plastic/nylon(?) and get brittle from the sun. Upon dissasembly, if no damage or excessive wear is evident, clean it all up, lube the gears, shaft and seal with a lithium grease and re assemble..rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Anyone know how difficult it is to rewire one?? . . . the outer insulation has worn off on mine, exposing the braided metal . . . it still brings in some stations, but I wonder if it would work better if I changed the wire?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

IS this an electric control or do you control it manually.

If it's a Winegard Sensar where you turn the knob, and the knob turns a shaft. then

1: Rewiring is very easy

2: You may have nothing more wrong than a screw loose.

If it is something you turn by pushing a switch or buttons.

Re-wiring should still be fairly easy.. Red to red, black to black, that kind of thing..

If you decide to replace either the upper or lower unit, and all the wires between them are good (lower means inside the motor home, I'll let you figure out what Upper means) it should be plug and play, plugs usually fit only one way and only one socket.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Does the Handle that you turn inside turn when you turn it? or is it stuck in place? if its turning and the antenna isnt then you might want to remove the handle that cranks up the antenna which will then let you remove the handle that turns the antenna so you can see if its stripped where it meets the piece it mates to. thats what happened to mine. most local rv shops carry the replacement parts for the Wineguard antenna's
jscobra97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The ring with the pointer just above inside the crank on mine has to be pulled down to rotate the antenna. Maybe you need to pull down a little harder?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

The antenna cranks up OK and the ring with the pointer does not turn. I have pulled it down hard and still can't turn the antenna -- although I was able to the very first time I tried it -- but that was only once. I will try removing the handle and dismantle and see what might be going wrong or what needs replaced. Just strange that it worked once...

Thanks all for you help!
Old 10-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Okay, really screwed up my antenna. Downloaded some instructions and took it apart from the bottom today and probably should not had the antenna up at the time. Upon disassembly from inside the coach couldn't really find any gears but did find where I had cracked the thingy that you pull down to rotate the antenna (rotating is what I couldn't do before I started so assume I had put too much stress on it). So went up on the coach to see if there was anything I could do from up there. Not much, so took out the big black screw in the middles of the base unit and that is when the problem started. The antenna went down some and pulled up the worm gear about half an inch. Could not get worm gear back down and the wife could not crank on the inside either way with me helping her while I was on top. Keep working with it and finally got the antenna down and the big black cap screwed back on, but now can't crank the antenna up – in fact can’t move the handle either way. So must have the worm gear misaligned. Couldn't find how to pull out the worm gear from the top or the bottom -- has anyone done that or is that even possible? This started out because I could not rotate the antenna (was going to try to lube) and now I have a bigger problem! At some point if I can't figure this out, next step is let someone professional work on it. Any words of wisdom from experts out there?
Old 10-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

It sounds like you don't have the owner's manual which as I recall has assembly and disassembly info. I would give Winegard a call. I bet they will send you one.