Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2019, 12:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Turned my side marker into a directional/marker

Although I have a new unit, I have been wanting to perform this mod since my first dark rainy night on a highway. I found a side marker light, same size as the original, which incorporated a third wire to tap into your directional lights. Works like a charm, and is LED.

http://steved28.amcrestddns.com/blinker.mp4
Old 10-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #2
Site Team

Nice find.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I am sure others would love to do that mod. What is the source of that dual LED Market? Thank you!
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you rewire the clearance light so that one wire goes to the turn signal feed and the other wire goes to the front clearance light feed you will get the same results.
Our 04 Journey was wired that way from the factory and on our 2014 Adventure I had to add the front side lower clearance light then wired as mentioned above. Works great no cost.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:29 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I just did the same thing but with a different, but still led, light. My purpose was to have both a front corner blinker, but more importantly, one which can be seen from the side to indicate to drivers who "park" beside you that you'd like change lanes.

I had DW drive beside me to check it out and she said that there is no missing it.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataway4 View Post
I am sure others would love to do that mod. What is the source of that dual LED Market? Thank you!
I found mine at e-trailer. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig.../MCL32ATB.html
Old 11-04-2019, 11:16 AM   #7
Vietnam Veteran 1967-1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved28 View Post
Although I have a new unit, I have been wanting to perform this mod since my first dark rainy night on a highway. I found a side marker light, same size as the original, which incorporated a third wire to tap into your directional lights. Works like a charm, and is LED.

http://steved28.amcrestddns.com/blinker.mp4
Steve, What is the source of that dual LED Market? I checked everything I know and ONLY found 6" and bigger. Nothing 4.5" x 1.5" roughly. Thanks, Ken
Joshua 24:15
GBFANKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
If you rewire the clearance light so that one wire goes to the turn signal feed and the other wire goes to the front clearance light feed you will get the same results.
Our 04 Journey was wired that way from the factory and on our 2014 Adventure I had to add the front side lower clearance light then wired as mentioned above. Works great no cost.
Grant, could you please be a little clearer on the connection ? Leave the clearance side wire connected to the clearance bulb ? remove the other wire and connect to the turn signal hot ?

2 wire - 1 side return ground ? the other wire the 'hot' for clearance light assembly ? REMOVE the return ground from the clearance light ? and connect that clearance side of the lamp to the directional 'hot' wire side ?

I don't think I am explaining it correctly ! Please advise. Thanks, Ken
Old 11-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Not sure I fully understand this method. My marker light had one ground wire and one hot/marker wire. If I tie one to the signal light, and one to the marker feed. I will not only not have a ground, but I will create a circuit (with the resistance of the bulb) between these two seperate circuits. I think you may have had a smarter fixture (maybe a diode) in yours and it may have found a ground through the chassis. Mine is mounted on fiberglass (no ground).

But maybe I am missing something here.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved28 View Post
Not sure I fully understand this method. My marker light had one ground wire and one hot/marker wire. If I tie one to the signal light, and one to the marker feed. I will not only not have a ground, but I will create a circuit (with the resistance of the bulb) between these two seperate circuits. I think you may have had a smarter fixture (maybe a diode) in yours and it may have found a ground through the chassis. Mine is mounted on fiberglass (no ground).

But maybe I am missing something here.

I think he's changed out the markers to something similar to these. https://www.amazon.com/Partsam-Recta...2892512&sr=8-2
Old 11-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Sorry guys for leaving you hanging. Here is the drawing from our 2004 Journey left side, the right side would be the same, different wire numbers. Do not ground either clearance light wire. When the clearance lights are on the side marker lamp gets its ground through the turn signal lamp. When the turn signal lamp is powered there is power on both sides of the marker lamp and it goes off. This works because of the large wattage difference between the bulbs.
Have also seen this done on late model Jeeps with clearance light on the fender.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearance turn Light.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	172408  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:11 AM   #12

Thank you Grant, will try when it warms up here in WI. Would have to lay on snow now to rewire it. Thanks, Ken
Old 01-09-2020, 07:27 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I wanted to do a follow up to my previous post of adding side turn signals. As stated these light are called 180 degree lights because they can be see from the front, side and rear.

The difference has been amazing. We just drove from Maryland to Florida and the thing I appreciated the most about them was other drivers seeing them from the side and allowing me to change lanes by them either speeding up or slowing down.

The lights I chose aren't inexpensive, and I'm sure there are less expensive alternatives, but IMO, whatever you spend it's worth it.