Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I have thee Trojan SCS225 12 volt deep cycle batteries installed on in my 2005 Itasca Horizon for house battery use. These batteries were always well maintained as far as water level, terminals kept clean, charging and discharging rates and always watched the float volatge.

These batteries were installed in May 2006 , after my factory installed batteries went bad due to abuse by the while the coach was in their posession. I noticed that one of the batteries was developing problems with 3 of its six cells. One cell will only charge to 30% while the other 2 will charge to 50%. The remaining 3 cells charged to 100%. I removed that defective battery so that the higher charging voltage would not damage the other two.

I contacted Trojan Batteries today and asked how I would go about getting a replacement battery under warranty. These batteries are 1 ½ years old and cost over $200 each. I was told that there was no remaining warranty on these batteries after I told them the manufacturing date code which indicated they were made in 2006.

They suggested I would have to buy a new SCS225 12 volt deep cycle battery. Given my current experience I don't think I will be buying Trojan batteries anymore. I would not suggest that anyone else should consider buying Trojan batteries given the support I just received.
I was always under the impression that Trojan made a good products and stood behind their products. Apparently not so. Even on their premium 12volt deep cycle batteries.

Just thought I would relay my experience and give everyone a heads up.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have thee Trojan SCS225 12 volt deep cycle batteries installed on in my 2005 Itasca Horizon for house battery use. These batteries were always well maintained as far as water level, terminals kept clean, charging and discharging rates and always watched the float volatge.

These batteries were installed in May 2006 , after my factory installed batteries went bad due to abuse by the while the coach was in their posession. I noticed that one of the batteries was developing problems with 3 of its six cells. One cell will only charge to 30% while the other 2 will charge to 50%. The remaining 3 cells charged to 100%. I removed that defective battery so that the higher charging voltage would not damage the other two.

I contacted Trojan Batteries today and asked how I would go about getting a replacement battery under warranty. These batteries are 1 ½ years old and cost over $200 each. I was told that there was no remaining warranty on these batteries after I told them the manufacturing date code which indicated they were made in 2006.

They suggested I would have to buy a new SCS225 12 volt deep cycle battery. Given my current experience I don't think I will be buying Trojan batteries anymore. I would not suggest that anyone else should consider buying Trojan batteries given the support I just received.
I was always under the impression that Trojan made a good products and stood behind their products. Apparently not so. Even on their premium 12volt deep cycle batteries.

Just thought I would relay my experience and give everyone a heads up.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Harry - that's quite a revelation. Even mediocre batteries have a pro-rated warranty to usually 36 months or 24 months.

With that kind of warranty, you certainly don't need to be a repeat customer!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:08 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Here is the new link to Bill Darden's battery source web page.

It's good information to have when making a choice. The old link I posted months ago is dead so HERE is the new one.

My next batteries will come from Walmart. Maybe Costco depending on how the stars line up that day.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">With that kind of warranty, you certainly don't need to be a repeat customer! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree John, I will not be considering Trojan batteries for future purchases.

I am considering the Lifeline GPL-31T AGMs or even the the 6 volt GPL-4C AGMs from Lifeline. If I can squeeze them in. How are your Lifeline batteries holding up?

The only concern I have is the reduced capacity that 3 of the 12 volt Lifeline AGMs would supply versus the Trojans I have now. I would like to maintain or even increase the AH rating at 20Hrs.
The three Trojans were rated at 390AH at 20hrs were as the Lifelines are rate at 315AH at 20 hrs.

Is there another recovery or discharge advantage that AGMs have, that I have overlooked despite their lower capacity?
Old 11-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is there another recovery or discharge advantage that AGMs have, that I have overlooked despite their lower capacity? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Harry;
Here are some of the AGM features:
AGM BATTERIES FEATURES:
"¢ Aircraft class cell construction:
- Lowers internal resistance for high repeated engine start current.
- Withstands shock and vibration much better than flooded or gelled electrolyte designs.
"¢ Twice as many discharge/charge cycles as the leading gel battery.
Faster recharge; no current limitations with voltage regulated recharging. "¢ Sealed construction with absorbed electrolyte - no shipment restrictions; submersible without damage; install in any position; no need for watering; no corrosion on terminals.
"¢ Cell safety vent valves - pressure regulated, nonremovable.
"¢ Safety - even during severe overcharge the LIFELINE AGM battery produces less than 2% hydrogen gas(4.1% is required for flammability in air).
"¢ FAA and Military approved; Manufactured to DOD military specifications;
"¢ Lowest discharge rates (Less that 3 percent per month unattended)

I replaced my OEM batteries six months ago with the LifeLine GRP 31 AGMs and have been very pleased with them. Among their other advantages, they don't take nearly as long to charge, which is a great advantage when using the genset to recharge.

Good luck
Bob

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G Workhorse W22 8.1L, 2005 Grand Cherokee Toad
Bob/Becky D - VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:26 PM   #7

Harry.................... Fact is the warranty period on that particular Trojan is 1 year. You have been using the batteries for almost one year and 7 months now. Perhaps if you were a month past the warranty period expiration Trojan would have let you have a warranty replacement. I myself feel Trojan was in line telling you that the battery was out of warranty. For the record, I have known others within warranty or a bit over warranty that had problematic (probably abused)Trojan batteries replaced or given $ adjustments on a bad battery(s). Trojan has a good tract record as documented often on various internet forums, etc.. I will buy Trojan in the future... I think you are expecting to much from Trojan.
BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Bill, hate to disagree but a $200 batery should last more than 19 months. If it happened to me I would be upset also. I have Interstates that are pure garbage and they will need replacing soon and I will go to Walmart as they will honor a warrentee.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
garybtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Merry Xmas fellas! My brand new Interstate 2200's are only 6 months. I emailed them to ask why and got one of the nicest and most detailed responses I've seen. Here was his reply:

-------------------snip----------------------
In the case of the U2200 it is true that that the battery only carries a six month warranty because it is a Golf Cart battery. A seasonal battery. The interesting thing is that the R.V. industries has started using the batteries as house batteries in R.V.'s because of the amount of amper hours that the U2200 can give the RV'er that does a lot of dry camping. The U2200 gives those that do a lot of dry camping double the amount of amper hours they would get from regular deep-cycle batteries.

The regular deep cycle batteries that are use as house batteries do have a better warranty but do not have the amper hours. The warranty on regular deep-cycle batteries is 12 months free replacement and a total 30 months pro-rated. So it is a give and take thing. Do I want more amper hours than I am going to give up warranty time. Or do I want longer warranty and have to give up amper hours.

Now days with the R.V.'s gaining more electrical stuff on them and folks not wanting to run their generators to charge batteries more and more manufacturers are being asked to put the golf cart batteries in the R.V.'s and several have made it a practice to use nothing but golf cart batteries as their house batteries. So the battery manufacturers are look at how they can warranty the U2200's with out getting in the trap of warranting batteries that came out of a golf cart and being told that they came out of a coach.

There are only several major battery manufacturers in North America and as soon as they work out the warranty issues, we marketers will change the warranties. I hope that this helps. But if you have any questions call me at the number listed below.

Gary Parks

Consumer Customer Service

Interstate Battery Systems of America

888-772-3600

-----------------snip---------------------------

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:43 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by garybtt:
Bill, hate to disagree but a $200 batery should last more than 19 months. If it happened to me I would be upset also. I have Interstates that are pure garbage and they will need replacing soon and I will go to Walmart as they will honor a warrentee. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bingo! I like my Walmart batteries!! $65 each and with my Progressive Dynamics Converter with 3-stage charging, I'm hoping they last longer than the Interstates that came with my unit.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I don't wish to take over this thread but I am wondering about Interstate batteries which seem to be getting bashed so much here. I've had two Interstate batteries as my house batteries since I bought my MH in March 2004. Since that time, I've spent over two years cumulative in it. The batteries are still going strong and performing as expected. I realize that they are probably overdue to fail, but if they do, why should I change brands based on the performance they have given me?
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:57 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

HarryB, how long was your warranty and what was the battery manufacture date???

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:20 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">HarryB, how long was your warranty and what was the battery manufacture date??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The manufacturing code stamped in the negative terminal was A6. Trojan indicated that this meant it was manufactures in 2006. I had the batteries for 17 months. They were always taken care of, not cycled to deep (only 5 or six times to 50%) and never had their plates exposed to air.

This battery is not a golf cart battery either. It is a regular 12 volt deep cycle battery. At $217 each I do not consider this a cheap battery. I selected this particular battery because it is a regular 12v deep cycle battery and has one of the best 20hrs AH ratings.

You are indeed better off purchasing a $65 Wal-Mart battery given the 17 month life cycle. You can almost buy 4 Wal-Mart batteries with even without any warranty for the price of one SCS225 Trojan. Given that Wal-Mart batteries do have prorated warranties on them, I am sure that the cost of ownership is substantially less than the Trojan batteries I purchased. I am not considering buying Wal-Mart batteries as I have other criteria's that are important to me as well, but it does make you stop and think.

I did not intend to get into a lengthy discussion about my problems with the Trojan batteries. I only offered the information as a heads up, incase other people considered the purchase of the same Trojan SCS225 battery.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Harry B:
--snip--
This battery is not a golf cart battery either. It is a regular 12 volt deep cycle battery. At $217 each I do not consider this a cheap battery. --snip-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>For that money you could have bought Lifeline AGMs. You paid mucho dinero for a premium battery and to have them fail that quickly isn't a good thing; to have no warranty at that point is unconscionable.

If you want to stay wet and want a premium battery, check out Rolls.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:20 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

I had the same Trojan SC225 batteries installed in my coach when new. One battery went bad after 2.5 years. I contacted the local Trojan dealer for new batteries. He used the date code and contacted Trojan. I wanted three new batteries and was prepared to pay for them. Trojan replaced the one battery and I purchased the other two. I feel they treated me very fairly. You may want to get the local dealer involved with your request for replacement. You may want to call Trojan and try again. The Trojan rep may have been having a bad day. Sometimes talking to another person helps. I have learned to keep trying.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote