Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-28-2005, 03:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Hi again,

If we order a coach, I'm not sure if I'm interested in the TripTek computer for $1176. I looked at the TripTek web site (http://www.triptek.net/products.html) and wasn't exactly bowled over.

It's nice, I love gadgets, but 1100 bucks? Some of the TripTek functions are duplicated by GPS. Other info center products are out there for much less bucks and will interface with Cat and Cummins engine electronics.

You owners with the TripTek - what do you think?

Thanks again,

John Canfield
www.janeandjohn.org

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 03:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi again,

If we order a coach, I'm not sure if I'm interested in the TripTek computer for $1176. I looked at the TripTek web site (http://www.triptek.net/products.html) and wasn't exactly bowled over.

It's nice, I love gadgets, but 1100 bucks? Some of the TripTek functions are duplicated by GPS. Other info center products are out there for much less bucks and will interface with Cat and Cummins engine electronics.

You owners with the TripTek - what do you think?

Thanks again,

John Canfield
www.janeandjohn.org

Old 01-28-2005, 03:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have one and and for 1100.00 I thought it would be more than it is, but it is nice to set & see your different mpg & mph averages and amount of fuel used on different legs of each trip. Also the check all systems screen on start up seems a little anoing but it has reminded a couple of times to do somthing I might have forgotten. I would see if there are other systems like it and check them out it is real handy to have something like it. On the cummins/onan web site there is a coach command system looks good but I don't know anything byond that. Thanks Ben!

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Lucchese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:07 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I installed one on my Allegro Bus and like it. It is handy for displaying 3 levels of trip information - complete trip, daily portion, and since last refuel. It also has a handy checklist before leaving and the instrumentation screen can display quite a bit of engine data.

Silverleaf Electronics also makes a series of these units but they use a seperate display module to display this information. What I like about the TripTek is that it uses your existing backup monitor for this so it's not more stuff to have to find room for in the cockpit.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I like mine. I don't use all the features. to many to keep up with. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hi Mark,

As a matter of fact, the Silverleaf was what I was considering (http://www.simply-smarter.com/vmspc.html)

On the Newmar's owner forum, somebody had a fantastic implementation of the VMS. He used an old laptop to run the program and a Viewsonic Airpanel wireless display (http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3712404)
mounted under the dash cabinets for the readout.

I believe the information displayed is fully customizable according to your desires and needs.

I just posted a screen shot of it in action (courtesy of Scott Williams in the Newmars owner's forum) here:

http://www.janeandjohn.org/images/vms_scr.jpg

John Canfield
www.janeandjohn.org

Old 02-02-2005, 02:31 PM   #7

Don't know if it's worth the money or not. I like seeing the info on actual MPG, never worry about tracking during fuel stops and it gives you gal thru the engine only so you get a true reading. Also like to see actual temps on tranny and engine along with turbo boost, gearing etc.
I can't put a dollar value on it though.
Best regards
Old 02-03-2005, 11:37 AM   #8
jeb
Winnebago Camper

I wouldn't get it again. It turns itself off after 15 minutes of inactivity and that always annoys me. Getting it back to the screen I want is not just one button, either. It has some nice functions but I got tired of monitoring them after a while. I guess the novelty just wore off.

It's not a bad unit, just not worth $1000, IMO.
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Thanks everybody for the comments. I'm really leaning towards the Silverleaf system at this point. They also have a hardware solution, i.e., their version of the TripTek, but they have no prices on their web site. It might be marketed to OEM and not for end-consumer installation. I'll call them and report back to the forum.

Cheers,

John
www.janeandjohn.org