Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2007, 08:15 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

The build sheet for my Destination lists the following:
CHARGER/BATTERY - CHASSIS TO HOUSE
Part # 156431-01-000

Is this the Trik-L-Charge or similar product? I purchased a Trik-L-Charge that I was going to install as my chassis battery doesn't hold a charge for very long while in storage (less than 2 weeks). If my coach already has a Trik-L-Charge installed it must not be working properly or I am doing something wrong. I have been using the house battery disconnect each time I leave the coach.

Any thoughts or comments?

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:15 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The build sheet for my Destination lists the following:
CHARGER/BATTERY - CHASSIS TO HOUSE
Part # 156431-01-000

Is this the Trik-L-Charge or similar product? I purchased a Trik-L-Charge that I was going to install as my chassis battery doesn't hold a charge for very long while in storage (less than 2 weeks). If my coach already has a Trik-L-Charge installed it must not be working properly or I am doing something wrong. I have been using the house battery disconnect each time I leave the coach.

Any thoughts or comments?

Old 12-27-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Wayne, your coach should have a Trik-L-Charge installed, check the fuse access panel under the front hood and you will see it.

This charger only keeps batteries up while you are plugged into shore power. Unfortunately the parasitic draw from monitoring systems will draw a battery down.

I am able to keep our coach plugged in at home. Prior to my installation of Trik-L-Start my chassis batteries would run down, even while plugged in. Now with Trik-L-Start my system stays charged.

There are solar panel experts that may respond if you do not have access to power while in storage.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Wayne - I think sometime in 2006 Winnie started installing the Trik-L-Start on most if not all of their Class As (and maybe the others as well - I don't know the extent.)

If your coach is plugged in to shore power while being stored, the chassis batteries will be charged. Since yours are discharging in a couple of weeks, it sounds like you have no access to power while in storage.

Shutting off the house battery disconnect only disconnects the house batteries.

It is not particularly unusual for the chassis batteries to discharge in a couple of weeks. This could be caused by a bad or marginally bad battery (ies), an entrance step left operated or some unusual engine or transmission computer load, some other phantom load, etc.

There have been extensive forum discussions about this in the past. You could do a search and read all about the problem others have had.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:59 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I don't have access to shore power where I store my coach. I read a lot of posts regarding the Trik-L-Charge before I purchased it. The way I understood it, the Trik-L-Charge draws from the house batteries to keep the chassis battery charged when NOT plugged into shore power. I must have misread the specs.

I guess I now have a new Trik-L-Charge for sale.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:03 AM   #6
JC2
Winnie-Wise

I might be reading the original post wrong but if he is disconnecting the house batteries, then how will the Trik-L-Start be able to pull juice to charge the starting battery? I think he might have to have his house battery switch connected. Look at the section under general information in this link.
http://www.lslproducts.com/UTLS_Instructs.pdf
Old 12-27-2007, 09:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Wayne, pretty sure you have a Trik-L-Charge already installed. Mine is on the firewall behind the front access panel, and has some LED's on it to tell you status. And yes, the coach has to be plugged in to AC to work.

Also, your coach battery disconnect switch must be 'on' for the coach batteries to receive charge (at least on my coach). Same holds true for your house batteries -- your auxiliary bat switch (house disconnect switch) must be 'on' for the house batteries to receive a charge.

If you don't have AC where you store your coach, then turn off both switches to keep the parasitics from pulling down the batteries.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:05 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

The LSL Products web site has the following: Now standard equipment on every Winnebago/Itasca diesel motorhome!

Since my coach is gas I wasn't sure if it was installed or not. When I found CHARGER/BATTERY - CHASSIS TO HOUSE listed on the build sheet I wasn't sure. I will look for it the next time I check the coach. The web site does say the solar panel should provide power for the Tiik-L-Charge to work.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I installed my own Trik-L-Charger on our 2004 Meridian because the engine batteries would not stay charged during no-power storage. I installed it in the battery compartment so it would draw from the solar-charged house batteries to the engine batteries. I have had no problem with low engine batteries since I installed it.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:33 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Have of you seen a complete list of chassis parasitic draw items?

If so please point me in the right direction. If not, I think we should develop one here.

If it was just a matter of pulling a couple circuit breakers to disable a stair sensor for example, it would sure solve a lot problems.

When we can leave our automobiles sit for a couple months and still start them there has to be one or two significant items on our chassis that if identified, would help everyone conserve chassis battery life without actually disconnecting the battery cables.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Wayne - according to the Winnie wiring diagrams, the factory installed Trik-l-start is wired to the switched side of house battery disconnect solenoid. When I installed my Trik-l-start, I connected to the hot side of that solenoid. The small factory solar panel (10W, I think) keeps my house and chassis batteries charged. I know from previous discussions on the forum there are those that say that factory panel doesn't have enough power to offset all the parasite losses. All I can say is: I store mine with the house batteries disconnected (solar still feeds them even when turned off) and have not had a low chassis or house battery in over 3 years.

Maybe I have an extraordinary amount of sunshine here or maybe Winnie made a mistake and installed a 50W panel on mine...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:24 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I will have to verify if I have one and how it is wired. I plan on bringing the coach home soon for a few days to do some other things to it. I will look for a Trik-L-Charge in all of the locations mentioned here. The generator is located in front, maybe I will be lucky and find it there.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Why not call Winnebago customer support and ask them if one is installed.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:27 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

The online wiring diagrams show the Trik-L-Start installed on both the Workhorse (Gas) and Freightliner (Diesel) Destination chassis. Take a look on Page 4 of Chassis Wiring Installation

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:28 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

If I am reading the diagrams correctly, the Trik-L-Charge looks like it is located on the drivers side of the coach, oppisite the battery compartment. It looks like it is not wired like the diagrams that came with the Trik-L-Charge that I purchased. The diagrams I received look like it is basically wired battery to batteries, which would keep the chassis battery charged even if I use the house disconnect switch.

Am I looking at this correctly?

Old 12-28-2007, 08:36 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Wayne, some coach owners have an automatic start feature on the generator that will keep the batteries charged. The automatic start feature will also keep your generator exercised on a regular basis.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:55 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I was having a similar problem keeping all the batteries up, without shorepower. The above comments are all correct.
-I'll use my Trickle Start when at a site with power.
-When in storage, use the 10W solar panel for the house batteries and disconnect the chassis batteries.
Someone above is fortunate indeed, to have enough sunshine intensity and hours to overcome the parasitics.

'04 Meridian 36G
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:10 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I also have had good luck with the Trik-L-Start setup keeping the Chassis Battery charged as long as the Solar Panel keeps the Coach batteries charged. Worked fine through the summer and fall. I forgot to take into account snow covering the panel. So now my Batteries sit on the bench in the garage fully charged to be installed in mid march.
The Trik-L-Start is a great product and works as advertised as long as your Coach batteries will maintain a fully charged state.
Frank O.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:47 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

I have been shutting off the house batteries figuring the parasitic draws would be on them. I also figured keeping the house batteries up would allow me to start the coach using them if necessary. I will try shutting the coach battery off and see what happens.