Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2017, 06:54 AM   #1
Site Team

Trickle charger TO chassis FROM house batteries

(cross-posted on IRV2.com)

We've been traveling full-time for the past 4 months and have not really had a reason to shut down the coach until last week when we were visiting some friends and stayed at their condo. I turned off the power (house and chassis) when we stored the coach and thought I was good.

When I went to move this past Sunday I had a starting issue with the chassis battery and had to use the booster switch on the dash that applies the house batteries to the starter. I'd previously read a thread where someone installed this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016G8RT8...=1J2KBW39VG8JF

I'm posting this question 98% sure I know the answer but on the off chance I'm wrong. Did Winnebago start installing these in their coaches? If so when? I don't find anything in the service manual about it. I'm just checking before I go ahead and order/install one to keep the chassis battery topped off.

If you're got a better idea I welcome that as well, but I am looking for a hands-off solution.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
(cross-posted on IRV2.com)

We've been traveling full-time for the past 4 months and have not really had a reason to shut down the coach until last week when we were visiting some friends and stayed at their condo. I turned off the power (house and chassis) when we stored the coach and thought I was good.

When I went to move this past Sunday I had a starting issue with the chassis battery and had to use the booster switch on the dash that applies the house batteries to the starter. I'd previously read a thread where someone installed this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016G8RT8...=1J2KBW39VG8JF

I'm posting this question 98% sure I know the answer but on the off chance I'm wrong. Did Winnebago start installing these in their coaches? If so when? I don't find anything in the service manual about it. I'm just checking before I go ahead and order/install one to keep the chassis battery topped off.

If you're got a better idea I welcome that as well, but I am looking for a hands-off solution.
According to the Chassis Electrical Box Assembly diagram for your coach you have an Intellitec Products 00-01008-000 Battery Control Center, 200 Amperes (Winnebago partno 173334-01-000). This doc Intellitec Battery Control Center describes how it's supposed to function.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:01 AM   #3
Site Team

Thanks Chris!

I've been collecting the info from others and have a couple saved pdf's and links and will get out and look at things. I'm thinking I may have some issues in the control box.

Along with checking that I did order this as well. Posting in case others are looking for something similar for their coach that may not have one installed.

AMP-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer - Overview Page
Old 10-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Hello,
I have a 2004 Winnebago journey that we bought new and is like new since we storm it in a. Garage. I installed the amp-L - start about five years ago and it works great. It floats the coach batteries about 0.2-.3 volts ( 13.2-3 volts) lower than the house batteries when plugged in to AC.
I think Winnebago started installing this brand about five years or more ago.
I mounted mine so I could view the indicator lights form the front hood opening near all the electrical panels.
Hope this help,
KeithG
keithg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

ThomB,

I've had the Trckle Start for 7 years- it's always worked well. This is a great solution for those who don't drive their rigs much- where the alternator doesn't have enough time to recharge the chassis battery(s).
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:40 PM   #6
Site Team

Thanks, It took a few weeks to get it shipped but should be at my place when I get there next week. I'll get it installed and hope to never think of it again!!!
Old 11-10-2017, 03:41 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

You won't regret it. Great product. Easy to install. I have had my for years with no problems.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

First off a week is pretty fast for the batteries to go low unless they are old enough to be marginal, otherwise you need to look for what is draining them.

As for chassis battery charging I am going to add it because I want my solar to keep my chassis and house bank topped off.

This is the unit I am looking at now. ME-SBC

My solar charges have a trickle feature but I want something that that has a flexible stop and start setting so I don't unnecessarily heat my chassis batteries.

I'm not sure I would get one if I didn't have solar because
1. The inverter/charges them from grid power.
2. If I don't have a power source like solar or grid I don't see why would drain my house batteries to keep my chassis up.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

2. If I don't have a power source like solar or grid I don't see why would drain my house batteries to keep my chassis up.

You won't drain your house batteries to keep the chassis battery up. The only time the Trick-L-Start works is when the house batteries are at a voltage a bit above 13 or so volts. When the house goes less than the threshold, it disconnects itself.

Stan
Old 11-22-2017, 12:55 PM   #10
Site Team

I installed the Amp-L-Start this afternoon. Went pretty well. I went directly to the batteries because it was closer to the location where I wanted to install the monitor. (inside the coach). Found an existing hole into the cabinet below the fridge and next to the battery box so I was able to get everything outside with only drilling 2 small holes (to pass the wires through into the battery box) A couple grommets on the wires and all set. If nothing else I now have piece of mind that when connected to shore power I am charging my chassis battery.

Tags
batteries, chassis, house batteries