Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Thermostat for Fan-tastic vent fan

I would like to install a wall thermostat to control my 12v vent fan to open and turn it on at a prescribed temp. Can't find one online. Has anyone done this and where did you get the thermostat?
larvance
2013 Ellipse
larvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

My coach came with the wall t'stat. When helping a friend with a similar vintage 5er and the same set up. Found out that the set up was discontinued, in favor of the current wireless remote that Fantastic Vent is offering. With the circuit boards required , and in your case the wiring that would have to be run , a new, full replacement; with the remote; could be the least expensive and easier option.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I know you already have your vents in place but just add an alternative I replace one of my fantastic fans with a maxx aire that is self shrouded (can be opened in motion or with light rain), can be thermostatically controlled and can reverse (so can pull air in or out). For me it was a great upgrade to the exciting fan.
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

On page 91 of the Winnebago Catalog I found this part #: 115764-01-01A. It looks like the same thermostat I had in my '05 Vectra that controlled the Fantastic Fan. I hope this helps.

Rick Y
Old 05-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
On page 91 of the Winnebago Catalog I found this part #: 115764-01-01A. It looks like the same thermostat I had in my '05 Vectra that controlled the Fantastic Fan. I hope this helps.

Rick Y
Thanks Rick, I looked up the thermostat which is for a heater. My fan is not setup or wired for a thermostat so I'm afraid it won't work. What I wanted to do is simply replace the wall switch which supplies power to open the vent and run the fan. Therefore the thermostat would need to handle the amperage required to open and run the fan. No relays, starters, etc. I'm old enough that I can remember old mechanical thermostats that actually switched the load on and off. Maybe no such thing anymore.
Larry
larvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

When I had my Journey, I bought a upgrade kit from Fantastic Fan that provided a wireless remote with thermostat. It also included a rain sensor which I did not need since I have the covers on top. No wires to run at all. I think I had a model 6600. Not sure if they still sell that kit and if it would work on the current models. It worked great.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

One of mine failed and was replaced with a (really) cheap Surburban furnace T'stat. I works kinda weird but gets the job done. The OEM temps go from high to low controlling the cover motor. The replacement goes from low to high (furnace), so to open the cover in the 50's and 60's, one must gently nudge the lever until the cover begins to open. If the lever is pushed too far the cover motor stops when the lever passes ambient temperature.
EDIT: the OEM controller thermostat from W is not available for my 2000.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

If its a Fantastic fan, give them a call, they are very good at responding to their customers
Old 05-20-2014, 06:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvance View Post
Thanks Rick, I looked up the thermostat which is for a heater. My fan is not setup or wired for a thermostat so I'm afraid it won't work. What I wanted to do is simply replace the wall switch which supplies power to open the vent and run the fan. Therefore the thermostat would need to handle the amperage required to open and run the fan. No relays, starters, etc. I'm old enough that I can remember old mechanical thermostats that actually switched the load on and off. Maybe no such thing anymore.
Larry
Larry, it IS a heater thermostat with "dry" contacts. You run your switch wires to the contacts and the t'stat acts as your finger turning the fan on and off. The one I had on my '05 Vectra 40FD would open and close at a set temp. If you go the upgrade route it is about $350+/-. The t'stat is around $50(?). The upgrade has many advantages and I hope to do it some day when I have the bucks. Today I am living with the manual method: point and click.

I look forward to hearing the rest of the story. Happy trails.

Rick Y

Tags
fan, vent, thermostat