Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

How can I test my Dimensions Inverter/Charger for output charge other than relying on the monitor panel. The charger seems to be going to the float mode before the batteries are fully charged.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

How can I test my Dimensions Inverter/Charger for output charge other than relying on the monitor panel. The charger seems to be going to the float mode before the batteries are fully charged.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
Great question. I will be anxiously awaiting the answer to your question. I am having doubts about my system also.

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The best way to determine the charge state of the batteries is to use a hydrometer to measure each cell's specific gravity.

If your batteries are charged according to the hydrometer, then your Dimensions is working fine.

What makes you think the float mode is premature?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The specific gravity sets at 1.275 right now with the charger in float mode at 13.2 volts. This is after charging the batteries with another outside charger today. I am unable to check the back battery right now because of lack of access. I know that the batteries should set for 24 hours before proper testing. I think I'm going to pull all the batteries this week so that I can properly test them. I was just wondering if I can check the Inverter/Charger DC output when it is disconnected from the batteries.

Thanks John, I may need your expert input again.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">--snip--I was just wondering if I can check the Inverter/Charger DC output when it is disconnected from the batteries.--snip-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You probably could by putting a load on it - a bunch of 100 watt (or higher) light bulbs would be one way; there are load banks used to check batteries that could also be used to load down the charger.

Or you could take a battery and slowly discharge it to about 12.1 volts and then hook up the charger to it and measure the charge current.

I'm sure the factory has a test setup where they exercise it before shipping. You might give them a call and discuss it with them.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:30 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

If your going to pull your batteries you may want to consider taking them to a battery shop and have them load tested. Especially the back battery which always takes access abuse.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote