Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tailgater Satellite Dish

I would like to get a satellite dish for my RV. I've heard that you need to have a home system before the portable system will work. Is this true?
Pops CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

No, Dish has a DishForMyRV program that's pay as you go.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Tailgater works great. Have 211k/Tailgater for about a year and used several trips, many days. Originally had Pay as You Go account, later installed Dish at the sticks and bricks so now the 211k/Tailgater is a second receiver on a regular account. There are several threads here the search feature will reveal.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Have the tailgater too and it works great. There's been several times that the roof top antenna could not get both Sats, and I then use the tailgater in an off-set location to get both Sats.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I'm glad to hear that the tailgater has works so good for you. I just signed up with Dish at the s & b. I asked about adding it to the MoHo and here's the double good news: it's only $7 more a month; and the tailgater was free cos I was a new customer!

Have any of you had problems occur cos of weather (it's cloudy and rainy here all winter) or line of sight (lots of trees here, too)?
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
Have any of you had problems occur cos of weather (it's cloudy and rainy here all winter) or line of sight (lots of trees here, too)?
The dish inside of the Tailgator is a lot smaller than a regular dish. You will not get as strong a signal as you would with the larger dish. We have used ours in Las Vegas, NV., Parker, AZ., Needles, CA., Buckeye, AZ., Silver City, NM., Elephant Butte, NM. and Albuquerque, NM. The signal was great unless there was heavy rain. I can't speak for anywhere else.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Falcon190 - You're up against a couple of things there. The trees are tall and you're aiming at a low angle since you're way up north. Rain fade can be a problem too with the small reflector and the amount of cloud cover there. As long as the clouds aren't too thick, it should be okay, but thick clouds will weaken the signal.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks kjburns! I'll check out the dish pay as you go?
Pops CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

You need to have a home system before the portable will work is not only not true, it is VERY VERY VERY BAD advice.

Far better to go with Dish or DirecTV for your RV first, set up a mobile account (Which qualifies for DNS (Distant network Service)) first and then .. Depending on the account you have , cart the "Spare" receiver(s) into the sticks and bricks.

now, what is DNS.

Network programming (CBS, ABC, Faux, er, Fox (Faux is the news dept) et-al are "Spot Beamed" to most markets .. This is fine of your house since it does not move but your RV can easily drive out of the spot.

So some Major Markets, NYC, and LA for examle, are "Flood lighted" (CONUS beams is the technical name CONUS Contential US) so if you live in say Maine, and are visiting family in say Washington state (Way over 300 miles away) you still get TV out of NYC.. ... Or LA (your choice) for your network shows.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I have used the Tailgater with 211k receiver for the past year. I do not use my rooftop dome at all as the Tailgater tunes into all 3 Dish Sat automatically. The beauty is one can move and set up as required to get aview ofSouthern skies. I have not been as far North as your location, but used it in Woodland, Pasco and Wilbur Wa, Post Falls Id, Polson Mt, Newport, Eugene, Bend, McKenzie Bridge and Rogue River Oregon in the past two months with no problem. Reception for S/D and H/D is strong. Clouds have not been a problem and only once in heavy rain.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
...and the tailgater was free cos I was a new customer!
Wow, you saved about $350 on that deal. I'm watching TV via my Tailgater right now. The only downside to this device, IMO, is that there are a lot of trees in most campgrounds. And if you do not have a clear view of the southern sky, you either won't be able to get any reception or will only get partial reception if it only locks onto two of the satellites. I did get an Android app called Dish Pointer Pro that actually shows you where the 110, 119 and 129 satellites are on the horizon. Then it's just a matter of getting around the obstacles to get reception.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all for your advice!
Old 09-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

LOS (line of sight) is needed for any sat dish - trees block the signal.

Weather is a factor for any sat dish - rain fade, reduced signal strength. The tailgater is a physically smaller dish for collecting signal and will rain fade before a larger home type dish. That said,the only time I have experienced it with my tailgater was during a huge downpour in which I think any home sized dish may have been affected as well. Normal to heavy rains have not been a problem.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We're out in the Columbia Gorge, surrounded by trees, in a thunderstorm, enjoying Dish TV for the very first time! It was an enormous hassle to get it working, but - Seriously, is this fine camping or what?!?
Old 09-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Just wanted to add one item...for those of you that want to follow your home team (NFL) there is only one satellite system that will bring you the NFL package and that's DirecTV.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Not a big football fan. But I am an HD fan. That's why I prefer Dish to DTV.
Just got back from a 4000 mile trip from Texas to Glacier Nat'l Park (30 miles from Canadian border) and the tailgater worked perfectly everywhere we went.
(We also have an in motion dish on the roof)
Old 09-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I put a pole on the ladder and have a tripod. I leave the pole mounted to the dish so i can use either place
elbeau54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbeau54 View Post
I put a pole on the ladder and have a tripod. I leave the pole mounted to the dish so i can use either place
What?!?