Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Switching from analog to digital TV

I have a 2006 Winnebago Voyage 38J and would like to switch the tv from analog to digital TV. My question is, Has anyone done this in a model 38J and if so what brand TV did you purchase. Also any installation tips would be appreciated.
RV'ing Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not specific to any model but I can describe the job:

Here is what I did so far and what I plan to do in the future.

I removed the face trim so I could see the cabinet and mounts on the CRT Television. Using a tape measure I measured the width.. Forget the height less you plan to oversize, I did not.

Then I went TV shopping, No recommendation for any brand but I will recommend against two. and on one its provisional.

VIZO (Provitional against) can be very hard to find the signal strength meter, You really need to be able to find that. You will need it, so make sure you can find it (READ THE FINE MANUAL (before you buy), See note below.

LG: (Includes Zenith and some other brands) EVERY LG product I have ever dealt with was junk.. This includes a Zenith VCR that would not pull tape (Simple adjustment but the cost of an hour of a technician's time or the tool to do the adjustment with is greater than the Panasonic VCR that replaced it and worked perfectly, and which has since been replaced with a DVR that is working as I type, and also cost less than the tool or tech)., Two microwaves, (one a Dometic, this one the turntable did not work and in fact would not work by design (The motor shaft did not properly engage the shaft) I modified it by replacing the motor with a GE part and other mods, thankfully within my skill and training. It now works,, the other one was in the office where I worked, and by design caught fire and had it not been for someone with a fire extinguisher would have burned the place down.
And Computer monitors (I used to sell computers) That were #1 on the returned under warranty list,, Monitors are like TVs.

And more.

So I preach against LG,, Vizo though if you read the manual is ok.

NOTE: Download the manual when you find a model you like and read it BEFORE you buy.

Now: continuing

I removed the back breaker (Big-Heavy CRT) and slid the new Wide Screen in the hole, used the same mounting brackets.

Then I marked the sides (inside the cabinet) and cut the bottom out of the box it mounts in, lifted the bottom and re-nailed it in place so it's now flat bottomed, Cut the face trim down by the same amount.

I had to add as trip of black (Gorilla) tape to the bottom of the set to fill in the rest of the hole but the job looks professional, very nice.

Plans:
Remove the TV and re-mount on a door, finish the inside of the compartment and turn it into DVD/CD storage.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

To the above I would add:

After reviewing the manual and watching/comparing in a store, try the TV in your RV just sitting on a table ... be sure you are happy with the sound and picture in the environment of the RV ... THEN remove the old one and install the new one.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have two 32" Vizio's installed in our coach. Haven't seen the signal strenth indicator on either but that has not been a problem. I just change the tuner setting and do a channel search. If the one we are watching isn't working well I just twist the antenna a bit until it is. First flat screen I installed was an Emerson ...it died after a few uses. The bad power supply was obsolete/unavailable, and cheaper to replace than fix anyway ...for warranty coverage I would have had to drive it a couple hundred miles to be looked at.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

TV install

I installed a 32 inch Samsung ( on sale now at Wallyworld) LED LCD. I have a PDF of the installation process with photos. I have sent this to over 100 fellow RV'ers. I have also installed in 2 different Winnebago coaches. I can not download the PDF to this site, but if you send me your EMail address I can send it to you.
My installation does not make the space behind the TV a storage area. I actually removed the old big box and old pleated curtains, so I could have a pull down blind like the new coaches
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasouth View Post
I installed a 32 inch Samsung ( on sale now at Wallyworld) LED LCD. I have a PDF of the installation process with photos. I have sent this to over 100 fellow RV'ers. I have also installed in 2 different Winnebago coaches. I can not download the PDF to this site, but if you send me your EMail address I can send it to you.
My installation does not make the space behind the TV a storage area. I actually removed the old big box and old pleated curtains, so I could have a pull down blind like the new coaches

Yup ... between Wallyworld and Bestbuy (Thursday night specials) there are a ton of decent TVs for not much money!!
Old 11-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I installed two Vizio's at the time the networks went digital.
At the time, my research and input from others, suggested that Vizio was a robust brand that was well suited for the RV environment.
Mine have functioned flawlessly so far.
I am not sure what the reference to signal strength issues is about.
I have a Travl'r with Dish and a Jack OTA. Our reception is great on either antenna. I replaced the coax to both antennas, which improves digital reception. The new TV's have multiple inputs to function with various components. which eliminate the function of the Winegard unit as a component cross connect. I got rid of the bat wing so I didn't need any of it.
I have contacted Vizio Customer Support a few times and found them to be extremely helpful with my questions. If I need a replacement unit in the future, I will look at Vizio first based on my current experience.
Before you spend any money I would decide exactly how you want to mount them. The various brands have different dimensions and shapes on their back sides that might influence your choice.
Several of us did a very similar conversion on the front TV that has been very satisfactory for my purpose.
There are old posts on here that you can review to get some ideas.
Many of us have pictures if you are interested.
Have Fun!
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

install pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasouth View Post

can you forward the PDF on tv I am getting ready to tear out and update to digital. send to [email protected] and what did you use instead of the pleated curtains?

thanks
wguckeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Its a good thought to make sure your new TV has forward facing speakers unless you plan to run your sound with your on board amp and speakers, Down or semi rear firing speakers sound fine in a home environment but were very difficult to hear and somewhat muddied when installed in our old units modified front upper cabinet (2004 Coachman Epic). We switched to a forward firing Visio and the sound improved 100%. We also put our TV on a new extending/pivoting/tilting mount to help with the neck strain associated with look left viewing. Replacing our old Winegard with a Jack on the mast completed our upgrade.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I just finished our front changeout to a Samsung 32" from Costco. I removed the old CRT and the steel tub it sat in. I fashioned some mounting brackets out of wood and aluminum angle stock and the tv fits beautifully between the two side cabinets. I was able to take the old wood trim and rip it down to form two side pieces which really blends the unit into the cabinetry. I kinda of followed "Pusherman"s lead. Very happy with it.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:33 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

My 2007 Adventure has a corner cabinet TV over a fireplace. Similar to 38J. Remove the fireplace, to access the bolts, behind the fireplace, holding the TV in place. Pull out the TV an pry off the sticky tape stuck to the TV holding the metal strap. I then built a sliding draw with a panel to attach a 32" Samsung TV. Keeping the "folding door covers" during the process. Replace the fireplace.

Attach photo of result:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old orgional TV (2).jpg
Views:	211
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	81451   Click image for larger version

Name:	New MH TV installed.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	81452  

Name:	New MH TV  (2).jpg
Views:	201
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	81453   Click image for larger version

Name:	New MH TV  (3).jpg
Views:	215
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	81454  

Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:27 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Every TV (2 MH and 4 sticks & bricks) and computer monitor (2) are Samsung because of the picture quality.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I have an '05 Winnebago Adventurer 35U and am looking for info, specific to that year and model, on how to get at the Sony to remove it. Remove the plastic housing below &/or the wood trim surround?
Once that is established I'll take it from there. Just don't want to disturb any of the
panelling etc. if not necessary.
Thanx
simbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

simbil: Most of the Winnie TV mounts are bolted from underneath the TV. On mine. there were two large bolts. When removed, the TV could be pushed (to break it free from the two-sided tape) and then slid out from the front. Once the TV is out you can disconnect cables and power and pull out the large mounting bracket. I did not have to remove any of the wood trim in my circumstance.

We initially installed a Vizio -- didn't like the picture or the way the tuner worked. Replaced with a Samsung. Very happy with the Samsung.

\ken
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SamsungTVMountedc.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	82330  
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:43 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thanx for reply Bumps.
Looks like I will be removing bottom shell & taking it from there.
Stay warm!
simbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Yes, I would be interested in your pdf on installing a replacement TV.
[email protected]
Thank you
Old 01-04-2015, 11:02 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Here is a good thread ... I think there are 3 pages ... there are pictures on the second page of what to expect on your unit

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/tv-removal-121532.html

My install is pretty much like the one in here ... TV is in front of the cabinets ... and the "bathtub" is gone ...

My TV is a Toshiba ... the speakers are on the bottom ... it is not connected to the surround sound
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Simbil
If you're still looking for input, I have the same motorhome, and have changed the TV.
Remove screw covers from the bottom cover, then remove screws.
Remove wood screws at the bottom of the wood surround from inside the cover.
Remove two wood screws each side from the wood surround, located inside the cabinets holding the video player and other components.
Slide wood surround down, disconnect top speaker wire, then slid down and remove.
Now you're ready to remove the bolts from the steel frame holding the TV in, BE CAREFUL, once they're removed the TV will self-eject and it is heavy. You need two people at this point. email me if I can help
mossparkcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:05 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Here's John Canfield's writeup of his replacement of the 27" Sony in his 2005 Horizon. It looks like you've got the same TV in the same location in your 2006 38J, so this may prove helpful.
The glass monster in the salon finally gets replaced with an LCD TV

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote