Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2008, 04:09 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Our Sightseer has switches by the door that 3 yr old Grandson cannot resist. It took me awhile to learn that if, when I started, nothing 12V would work, that I had been Eli'd .

Has anyone found a cover that might at least slow him down? There are 2 together that I rarely use (master 12V and retract jacks) and there's one in a diff location that controls the steps. Thanks! Steve
Old 10-12-2008, 04:09 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Our Sightseer has switches by the door that 3 yr old Grandson cannot resist. It took me awhile to learn that if, when I started, nothing 12V would work, that I had been Eli'd .

Has anyone found a cover that might at least slow him down? There are 2 together that I rarely use (master 12V and retract jacks) and there's one in a diff location that controls the steps. Thanks! Steve
Old 10-12-2008, 05:46 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

There are several different designs for lockable switch covers from electrical supply places. Also might look at a lockable thermostat cover.

The easiest thing would be to teach him to leave the switches alone.

Ken
Old 10-12-2008, 06:00 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You haven't been around a 3 year old in awhile . As my son-in-law says the diff between a 3 year old and a terrorist is that sometimes you can reason with a terrorist. He's a good kid and gets his share of discipline...there'd be something wrong with him if he didn't try and push the envelope.

Thermostat cover is an excellent idea! Thanks
Old 10-12-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Oh, but we have...our youngest grandson will be 4 in February and we had the same issue with him. After he got his hands slapped a few times, he understands that you do not touch certain things without asking first.

Ken
Old 10-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The title of my post was switch covers. It was not raising of my grandson.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
I helped | retired moderator

Posts have been edited and deleted as personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Let's stay on topic, please.

iRV2 Administration

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

The only problem with the edit/deletion is that it appears that I was offended by Ken's post. Not at all...he answered the question with an excellent idea. The deleted post is what I took exception to. Thanks Ken, ... and Admin. Steve

PS: ....and by the way, my Bride has hit that switch by accident too...I'll discipline her too
Old 10-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

How about some good ole Dect tape over the switches until your Grandson gets a bit older.
They grow up too fast, enjoy them, love them.

Thats Duct tape.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Maybe duct tape him...but he'd get out of it. Thanks Ron...you're right re enjoy them because they grow so fast. He gets his behind gently swacked, in fact 5 min ago, and is a great kid. He now leaves the cockpit area alone.

His dad is in the hospital recovering from surgery for colon cancer (at age 37) and his mom (our daughter) is working a lot so we're here to help, not engage in discipline training at this time when he misses his dad and his mom is dividing time between work and being with her husband.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:26 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Belgique, never meant to of cause problems. Our youngest grandson is very mechanically inclined and he can figure how to operate lots of things. I have yet to figure out how he manages to figure out the On/Off switches when he cannot read. It is not by pushing buttons until it works, but he will study it and push the right on the first try.

My wife came up with the idea of getting him to point and ask if he could touch something. Pretty soon he got the message and it has been working for some time. Now he knows what he can and cannot touch until he ask first.

They do grow up so fast. We only had the one daughter, so boys are new to us (two grandsons)...makes me thankful that we had the girl and she was a pretty good kid and caused no problems.

Hope the family gets the medical issues behind them.

Ken