Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Surge protectors.

I am going to be purchasing a surge protector in the very near future. I think I have narrowed it down to the progressive industries EMS-PT50X or the Hughes power watchdog 50 amp smart Bluetooth surge protector with auto shut off. I was wondering if anyone uses either one and if so is one better than the other. Any recommendations or input would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Lefebvre
Cubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have the Progressive but the 30 amp version. I have had no issues with it. I cannot compare it to the Hughes as I am unfamiliar with that one. Good luck!

Al
Old 08-01-2019, 06:24 PM   #3
Site Team

We have used the Progressive for over two years and it works like a champ. Bluetooth would be nice, though, as the LED on the unit is hard to read sometimes.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Step up to the Hughes Autoformer. It will protect you with low voltage from the pedestal and give you surge protection. Many older parks are notorious for poor or old electrical; often open neutral, reverse hot and neutral and open ground. Our 30A Hughes is wired directly and mounted inside the electrical bay. In our travels around the US and Canada, it's saved us on more than one occasion. You only need to burn out your AC from low voltage or a voltage spike to become a believer...the cost is far less than an AC or refrigerator or computer replacement. Don't believe the stories about parks not allowing the Hughes Autoformer...they'll never know you have one. And, it does not damage or draw more power from the park.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have been using the PT-50 for over 10 years. It does what it says it does and has protected me on different occasions. The company stands by its product.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I recently bought a Hughes 30 amp surge protector, $100, which lacks the auto shutoff feature. The Hughes Power Watchdog provides voltage, current, watts, and total KWH power usage by means of Bluetooth on your phone or tablet. This also lets you check the voltage BEFORE you connect your shore power cable. It sends a notification if the voltage drops below the level you have selected, but there seems to be a delay of about a minute before the notification is received. Another nice thing with the Hughes is that the surge module can be user-replaced, which apparently requires a trip to the factory for other brands.
NormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:14 AM   #7
Site Team

We've got the hard-wired Progressive 50amp unit. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I think it took me about an hour to get wired in. I did not cut my existing cable as the instructions mention rather I bought a short piece of the correct gauge underground cable and installed that between the transfer switch and the PI box.