Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

surge protector

Any one installed a surge protector hard wired into the motorhome? what kind did you get, looking for one but this one will need to be wired in. its a 2010 winnebago tour 40cd.
bad1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You might be able to find something here. The higher the joule rating the better. That being said you might have to just go with something that fits or do a lot of rearrangement of the electrical bay to get it hardwired.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I hard wired a SurgeGuard 50 amp in my 2002 Ultimate Advantage ---- it fit in the electrical compartment very well. In order to be able to still use the coach in the event of a failure of the SurgeGuard (not likely but could), I put a plug like the coach plug on the incoming side of the SurgeGuard so the shore line could plug into that. On the outgoing side of the SurgeGuard, I put a plug like the end of the shore line coming into the coach that would fit the plug in that is permanent in the coach. This way, if I had to, I can still plug the shore line into the permanent connection on the coach and take the SurgeGuard out of the circuit. Hope this helps
Old 08-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

If you would like to have pictures, send me a pm and I will send back pictures of the install.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Here is some good info about surge and different types.
Pictures of installations will vary by whats in peoples electric bay.
If your going to hard wire you will need Auto Transfer circuit info.
Progressive install
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Depending on which side of the auto-transfer switch you put the surge protector will determine if your electrical system is protect while just on shore power or shore power and when the generator is running. Most people wire it to protect the system while on shore power.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have a Surgeguard 50 amp hardwired into my 07 Ellipse and it fits nicely... but I sure like Dave's idea.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Tho I have a 5er I hard wired my surge protector so that the system is covered past the auto transfer switch for either shore or gen power. If you find it necessary the cables can be extended to allow surge protector to be located elsewhere
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Here is my installation:

I have a hard wired unit that I made removable as someone else posted.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Yup, I did exactly what Dave did on one coach. Cut your power cord male and female connector and you can remove it out of the line. On another coach I had it totally hard wired and lost it when I sold the coach. NOW , i have it locked on the power cord and use it at the power pedestal. I know the wire could be cut and its gone, but I believe that most campers are basically honest. So far so good...There are lots of ways to skin a cat..Be Safe
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #11

I question the need for a surge protector; We thay owned 7 motorhomes Several trailers/campers. Been in some lighting storms that were the worst; At times there were 1600 coachs; one time one was a direct lighting hit ; To the information that was given us it done severe damage to the coach, That would be expected; First hand I have never been were A surge protector was required. It's allways been told by a friend of a friend that had it happen to that;; Voltage is the pressure behind the amperage; the voltage is the result of .707 of 180 , Just what does a surge protectur does is quite Questionable. {the guy parked next to me said he has never had any problem, couse he has a surge protector)) HELLO:: I have never had any problem and I do not have a Surge protector,, It they were a big issue the Manufacture would install them. Life is good.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
I question the need for a surge protector; We thay owned 7 motorhomes Several trailers/campers. Been in some lighting storms that were the worst; At times there were 1600 coachs; one time one was a direct lighting hit ; To the information that was given us it done severe damage to the coach, That would be expected; First hand I have never been were A surge protector was required. It's allways been told by a friend of a friend that had it happen to that;; Voltage is the pressure behind the amperage; the voltage is the result of .707 of 180 , Just what does a surge protectur does is quite Questionable. {the guy parked next to me said he has never had any problem, couse he has a surge protector)) HELLO:: I have never had any problem and I do not have a Surge protector,, It they were a big issue the Manufacture would install them. Life is good.
I'm not entirely sure I could tie all that together, but there are lots of gambles people chose to take or not. Surge protectors, water filters, changing tires at 6 years instead of waiting for the tread to wear thin are just a few. It's all about those "choices".

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

After having the electronics in 2 MH's fried by electrical gremlins, I will not plug my RV in without surge protection.

To each his own.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

The service manager at my dealer has not had a repair in 2 years to an electrical system without a surge protector. This is what he told me when I asked if I needed one. ???
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #15
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
That is your choice to make and should be respected. Good luck with your decision. Our coach has been covered from day 1 with a 50a Surge Guard. It has saved us several times with low voltage, high voltage and a nearby lightening strike that took out a guys inverter.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I hardwired a 50 amp Surge Guard in my 05 Journey. It only took about 1/2 hour to install really simple. There was plenty of room in my electrical bay to install it. I just cut the existing cord leaving enough on the coach side to hook it to the Surge Guard and then hooked the remaining cord and plug to the input side of the Surge Guard. I then used cable clamps to fasten the cord to the electrical bay wall. Works fine. I would not plug into a campground electrical system without some form of good surge protection. All it takes is one bad electrical hookup to fry all your electronics in your coach. Ouch! Good Luck!
Jackhal1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #17

I totaly Respect everyone Opion;; The Facts are not my opinion But facts. The voltage comming into the park May will be near 20000, volts maybe 10 amps, It goes into the coil transformer and gets stepped down, Because they are inverse when the voltage is stepped down the amperage goes up . it could be 120 volts and 2000 amps; the surge must occur Between the transformer and your coach, as a lighting strike. unless you accadently Feed the wrong voltage in, Bad wired fuse box inserting the wrong plug; I know there are a lot of readers that will not agree. thats fine, I respect everyone opion, Be it right or be it wrong.Oh if you feel you need a spike protector by all means have one installed; In our 70 years we have not had the use for one, And have had NO electrial problems, Oh many parks have low voltage which the air conditioner does not like. We have a winnebago ultimate 38' 330cat. basement air that likes a lot of voltage and amps;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I put in a hardwired surge protector not only to protect the coach, but all the expensive crap I have plugged into the coach - laptop, two GPS systems, back up hard drive, cell phones, video camera, regular camera, radios, scanner, ipad, etc.

You don't want to be the guy who breaks the service manager's two year lucky streak...
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad1032 View Post
Any one installed a surge protector hard wired into the motorhome? what kind did you get, looking for one but this one will need to be wired in. its a 2010 winnebago tour 40cd.
Definitely check out the Progressive Industries EMS units with Surge Protection. It will monitor the pedestals power quality and give you thousands of Joules surge protection.

Here's their web site.

EMS-HW50C

I am assuming you have a 50 amp coach.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:30 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Yep I will be getting one soon, just trying to figure out the one for me, thanks for all the input, rather be safe then sorry.
bad1032 is offline   Reply With Quote