Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Surge protector

Fairly new to rv'ing--is it necessary to have a surge protector?
CLYDE1890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLYDE1890 View Post
necessary no but highly recomended

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you do a thread search on "progressive" you will learn a lot.

Save your stuff! I did. Twice. With a Progressive Industries EMS.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

That is a question that will get many answers. I have just purchased one and have never used one before. I believe it is very much like insurance. We always buy it just in case! This forum has had a few people suffer some expensive losses for not having that surge protection. You can not always guarantee the power supply at a campground.
Some people don't use pressure regulators for their water supply either. Could just be a matter of time!
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLYDE1890 View Post
i have been using this progressive ind surge protector since 2006 with good results. the unit caught an open neutral 2 times on a cg power post before i hooked power up to the moho. that potentially saved me big $$.

SSP-50
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I was considering the same question a couple months ago.

Lot's of folks and stories about how a good EMS saved them. Fair number of people who also report years without one and no problems.

On my 2nd trip with my Newmar we ran in to electrical issues at a KOA that was fairly new.

I installed a Progressive EMS the following week.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Surge protector just saved us again.
Here at Onalaska, Tx (just east of Huntsville,Tx.
We had heavy rains and lightning. Had a strike neare the MH.about 4:00AM.
Tripped the EMS. on the 2103 Journey. The KOA. Where we are, had to,replace the
50 amp plugin. Just unplugged the power cable to the back of the EMS .monitor.
All is good. Paid for itself several time over.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Don't leave home without one...Progressive EMS has saved us a few times, bad neutral, low and high voltage, mis-wired outlet...
Old 10-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Here is a link to give some answers, it will save you money in the long run.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #10

Interesting subject, as stated in prior post It just keeps comming Up. If you Type surge protector in the Search box You will get a lot of information. our experiance is. Of 8 Motorhomes we owned our use and 3 we rented out. we Had no electrial problems over the years since 1974 and Never wasted Any money on things like Surge protectors. Now to be clear I am looking back, They were never needed. But Other then I know a friend of a friend.I Personaly have never stood by and seen where There has been a problem. I use a Small plug in surge prot. on My wifes Computer , Because someone has Poluted Her Mind. To each his own. If you think you need one . BUY ONE. Enough said; Life is good . Friends make it better.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

A good surge protector is really cheap insurance. If is saves you one time from an improperly wired power connection, a surge, a lost ground, etc, for a cost of a few hundred $$$, it will save you many times over that amount in lost electronics...TV, control boards, microwave, etc.

Ken
Old 11-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We have a Surge Guard 50 amp ( Surge Guard RV Power Protection | Technology Research Corporation ) it has saved us on 2 occasions. Both open grounds; one a KOA in Ohio and one a private camp ground in Alaska. I chose the 50 amp Surge Guard because of it high; 3350 Joules of power surge protection. It is a must to protect all of the costly electronics that Motor Homes have.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #13

I almost forgot . Our traveling buddy. Says He has had no electrcal problem In ten years He says it is because of his protector; I say good that is nice. But we have been traveling since 1974 With NO serge protector and have had no problems.. Also for some interesting facts a surge protector Has Internal/paresite current draw Not much but it is there.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
I almost forgot . Our traveling buddy. Says He has had no electrcal problem In ten years He says it is because of his protector; I say good that is nice. But we have been traveling since 1974 With NO serge protector and have had no problems.. Also for some interesting facts a surge protector Has Internal/paresite current draw Not much but it is there.
By this logic I should drop my insurance coverage as I haven't had a claim in over ten years.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #15

hear hear that insurance sure is expensive
spanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I traveled for years with no surge protection also. Finally got convinced I should have one after several folks in one area of our Winter Park had a major problem on the 50 amp lines. Those with protection had no damage, those without had some minor and major damage.

We visit family in a mobile home park in CA, we always park in the same spot. The second year I had the surge protector it shut down the MH with a code of open ground. This is 6 years going to the same spot, so you never know. I think it's "better safe then sorry".
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

My opinion: If a surge protector will actually do the job that they are designed to do they are most certainly worth the investment in protection. My smoke detector and LPG sensor have never sounded but I wouldn't be without them either.
1999 Winnebago Adventurer, Sam, Judy, Grand Daughter - Kenzie, 3 spoiled Pomeranians, Bella, Tinker and Aurora - 1 spoiled JR terrier, Mayzee - 1996 Ford Explorer, Sport 2 Door, 4 wheel drive, pulls 4 down like a dream.
Sam Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
Interesting subject, as stated in prior post It just keeps comming Up. If you Type surge protector in the Search box You will get a lot of information. our experiance is. Of 8 Motorhomes we owned our use and 3 we rented out. we Had no electrial problems over the years since 1974 and Never wasted Any money on things like Surge protectors. Now to be clear I am looking back, They were never needed. But Other then I know a friend of a friend.I Personaly have never stood by and seen where There has been a problem. I use a Small plug in surge prot. on My wifes Computer , Because someone has Poluted Her Mind. To each his own. If you think you need one . BUY ONE. Enough said; Life is good . Friends make it better.
I wish you the best of continuing luck.

I have never had damage but I have a PI EMS that saved me twice. 300 bucks invested compared to $3500 damages to one neighbor, and whatever a new roof A/C costs to another. But, it only actually cost them their $500 deductible and dealing with the insurance company and repair contractors for several weeks.

I risked $300 on an inexpensive and conclusively proven solution, and saved $1000 in deductibles, plus all of the wait time and headaches. Being ahead $700 is pretty cool.

We all gauge our risks in different ways. And some risks are more real than some wish to believe.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Surge suppression is only part of the equasion. You also need to consider low voltage protection. Campgrounds are notorious for sub standard wiring and brown outs that over heat RV systems leading to blower and compressor motor failures along with hard start unit failures. An AutoFormer boosts low voltage back to where it is supposed to be and prevents that type of damage. Most people attribute this type of damage to poor quality motors and cheap designes however many RVers experience this type of preventable loss.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

As others have said, a full EMS system. It's like fire insurance on our homes....we hope we never needed it but how many own homes without it?
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote