Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

surge protector?

You mean a $150,000 Winnebago does not have surge protection built in? Shame on Winnebago!!
02rld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Actually I would rather put in a unit that I know of vs. some lowest unknown cost bidder the manufacturer might select. Such as those from Progressive Industries.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I'm not sure how high the price would go or which brand you would be in to find factory installed surge protectors. No matter ~ $350 and you're in with Progressive Industries. Don't leave home without it!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rld View Post
You mean a $150,000 Winnebago does not have surge protection built in? Shame on Winnebago!!
Ok, so which manufacturer installs a surge protector on a $150K coach?? Just wondering!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #5

Lets not Condem Winnebago;;; Ask yourself;; What needs a surge protector;;; The stove. IT don't care The water heater It don't care, The freg.It don't care. The actual voltage In any camp ground may varie 5 to 20 volts. The appliance most affected is the computer; And they have a small tollerance.. Now in electrial storms WE all should know to unplug The coach. Because if it gets a 70,000 volt surge . NO surge protector will be any good;; Go to Wal-Mart Pick one up They are cheap. Plug your Computer in, You are set to go. Who once said, The buck stops here ???
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Bachler - not gonna argue the point with you as it seems to work for you so far. I would not take your advice however and would not recommend following it. 'Nuff said.

OP - search the site. Plenty of discussion on this to read. Can't say for sure - but the consensus is nowhere near 50/50. Do yourself a favor and read up and then get one. Lifetime Warranty by Progressive Industries makes it my choice.
Steve
Old 06-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
Because if it gets a 70,000 volt surge . NO surge protector will be any good
Really? I thought that's what they were for.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I recently upgraded from a MH with 30 amp service to a MH with 50 amp service, meaning I have to buy a lot of new stuff. The very first thing I purchased was a surge protector. Got one from Progressive Industries on Amazon at a good price.
About 30 years ago I was watching TV and fell asleep. A storm came up and lightning must have hit the motorhome because when I woke up the TV would no longer work. I tried to get it fixed but the repairman said it was fried.
I will not be without my surge protector!
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #9

Haveing spent years in engineering school. along with computer classes; I would like to pass somethings On.. There are some that dissagree . That is Good. However I will pass on the hard facts... First you ask someone about What the voltage should be It is somewhere from 108 volts to 135 volts,, You have Applied voltage. You have apperant Voltage, You have Working voltage ;; Now these are all different; Those are the measured Facts. And can not be argued... The True voltage Is like this. (it will bore some) 360 degrees, devided by 2= 180. (as we only see that much) 180X .707 (that is only the useable power) = 127.26 That is the Voltage That is at the outlet; Applied; Because Voltage is The applied pressure The more used it will drop in pressure So what was once 127.26 may well be 112. AC volts.... Now the real Kicker. we have tested computers with voltage as low as 100 Volts and as high as 130 Vlots No problem. And That with the Exception of some recording equipment that cares about voltage;; Some will mention the Frig. water heater. Batteries;Radio.ETC.. It is only a Spike . That will have to be Quite High.. We have all heard the Story. A friend of a friend. Or I know some one.. In our travels, we learned one thing . In a storm Unplug. When you think threr is a storm UNPLUG; we have Parked For 7 days Boondocking No problem. Yet there are some that cannot go for a few hours unpluged. As I stated befor. Buy one and you shell feel better.. My experiances. Life is good . as we all make up our own minds.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #10

I Forgot To post The most inportat Point. As stated By A prior post. Following My 73 years of living/experiance, Owning Motorhomes Since 1972 ; The poster recommends NOT following My advice, ??????? I will say THAT is GOOD advice;;; AS someone KNOWS
Old 06-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

There will always be folks on different sides of the fence (some with many years on their side) that profess to know all there is about a given subject -- I can attest that surge protectors have saved our systems in the past and I would not be without one and also a voltage regulator. Progressive Industries guarantees their for 'Life" -- no questions asked. Reminds me of the folks who swear that a modified-sine wave inverter is just as good for their electronic components as a true-sine wave. I prefer to err on the side of caution.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Haveing spent years in engineering school. along with computer classes; I would like to pass somethings On.. There are some that dissagree . That is Good. However I will pass on the hard facts... First you ask someone about What the voltage should be It is somewhere from 108 volts to 135 volts,, You have Applied voltage. You have apperant Voltage, You have Working voltage ;; Now these are all different; Those are the measured Facts. And can not be argued... The True voltage Is like this. (it will bore some) 360 degrees, devided by 2= 180. (as we only see that much) 180X .707 (that is only the useable power) = 127.26 That is the Voltage That is at the outlet; Applied; Because Voltage is The applied pressure The more used it will drop in pressure So what was once 127.26 may well be 112. AC volts.... Now the real Kicker. we have tested computers with voltage as low as 100 Volts and as high as 130 Vlots No problem. And That with the Exception of some recording equipment that cares about voltage;; Some will mention the Frig. water heater. Batteries;Radio.ETC.. It is only a Spike . That will have to be Quite High.. We have all heard the Story. A friend of a friend. Or I know some one.. In our travels, we learned one thing . In a storm Unplug. When you think threr is a storm UNPLUG; we have Parked For 7 days Boondocking No problem. Yet there are some that cannot go for a few hours unpluged. As I stated befor. Buy one and you shell feel better.. My experiances. Life is good . as we all make up our own minds.
Not sure what all that means nor how it supports the statement that NO surge protector will help with a 70,000 volt surge.

I understand your point is that you just unplug when there is a storm in the area but what about one that comes up in the middle of the night or while we're out exploring in our toads?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #13

I watch Judge Judy, ( my wife is loyal to her) I like one statement of hers;;; It says Stupidity can not be fixed;;; I love it So with that in Mind lets all Move the blame around Just make sure It don't stop With me;; It"s allways someone elses Fault;; So check How much voltage the spike resistor will stop.. Some rejected the Figure of 70.000 volts; Ha ; Come to the real world. A spike will be good for a lot less then that..
Old 06-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Well, I have had Progressive EMS systems in last two units. Both have tripped for over and under voltage but no surges so far. It has also indicated bad wiring a few times at the campground.
And yes, low voltage will damage an AC unit....I have experienced this..thus the EMS now.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk
Well, I have had Progressive EMS systems in last two units. Both have tripped for over and under voltage but no surges so far. It has also indicated bad wiring a few times at the campground.
And yes, low voltage will damage an AC unit....I have experienced this..thus the EMS now.
And this is why I and some others have added a PowerMaster Voltage Controller VC-50 in front of my PI SP. Both have surge protection to 3,580 Jules. While there is a formula to convert Joules to Volts you need another charge or coulombs to get there. Personally I feel no need to theorize what the volts of the direct lighting hit might be. Lighting voltage can vary widely and is lower probability event. I'm good with the protection I have up to the point of 2 3,580 SP's failing, having the Voltage Controller correct low/high voltage and the PI SP keeping me safe from open ground, neutral etc. And all of this happens after I check the power post and before i plug in with this....
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2597344924.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	511.2 KB
ID:	41208
Old 06-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I watch Judge Judy, ( my wife is loyal to her) I like one statement of hers;;; It says Stupidity can not be fixed;;; I love it So with that in Mind lets all Move the blame around Just make sure It don't stop With me;; It"s allways someone elses Fault;; So check How much voltage the spike resistor will stop.. Some rejected the Figure of 70.000 volts; Ha ; Come to the real world. A spike will be good for a lot less then that..
That clarified it. Thank you.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #17

We can all have Some Title . Judge Judy . Community M;; Adjatator Or what ever turns your crank. I only Point Out Facts. Others Think they do...
Old 06-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
We can all have Some Title . Judge Judy . Community M;; Adjatator Or what ever turns your crank. I only Point Out Facts. Others Think they do...
Yeah, it's those who hold that title of "Adjatator" we all have to watch out for.

Thanks for the input and good luck fixing whatever needs fixing.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Unplugging your coach when a storm come up is a good idea, I guess. But what do you do when you've taken a day trip, your 100 miles from your coach and a storm comes up. The electronics on my coach are way to expensive to replace over a $300 surge protector.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Testimony.

Bought my PI PT-50C. About a month later lightning struck the transformer between my rig and the neighbor. He lost $3500 worth of stuff while my PI simply dropped my power. Neighborhad a looong wait before insurance coughed up.

In Maine on the far end of the wire, had brown outs due to all the A/Cs running. The PI dropped my power at 103. It went down to 85. 3 A/C motors fried. That is all I know about that one.

But I know enough.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote