Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 09:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

suitcase solar panels?

I have a new 2108DS TT with an extra battery added so two instead of the usual one that the factory puts in. Does anyone know if a 140W suitcase solar panel would be enough to keep my batteries powered while dry camping? Water heater and refrg will be on propane so basically just water pump, lights, awning whatever runs on DC. I will be actively conserving battery power by using power only when needed. Thanks for any tips on this.
thebunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

If you are judicious in your use of power you'll probably be OK, depending on the weather. We camped for several years with a roof top 100W panel on our TT along with a set of two 6v gold cart batteries. On our subsequent trailer we had 200W which was better. The suitcase panel might be a little more efficient since you can optimize its orientation.

You really won't know until you try it.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:39 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

It depends upon the size (capacity) of the batteries your use and how much sun and the kind of panels you get. You will also need a controller set for the type of batteries you have.

I have 2 Lifeline AGM batteries and 200w solar and the solar mostly keeps up with daily use, if needed I can always turn on the gen.

Most rigs also have parasitic draw on the battery from many devices. The fridge will use a small amount even on propane to run the control board and ignitor. The propane switch is probably electric, etc. so it uses electric all the time.

I know there are formulas for how many panels and how many hours of sun you need for so many amp hours of battery. Then you need to figure out how many amp hours you think you will be using..... the prices of the suitcase charging systems have come down over the years.... perhaps just purchase one and test it out as BobC said.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the advise. It seems like you say figure as close as you can and then just try it.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:48 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunker View Post
Thanks for the advise. It seems like you say figure as close as you can and then just try it.
Absolutely! There are simply too many variables for any of us to be able to answer your question with authority.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

And, if it's not enough, and you add a larger roof-mounted system, you can always use it for those days your roof-mounted system is in the shade.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have 200 watt panel and 3 12 volt rv batterys still have to run gen about 1 hour am and pm to keep up with our dry camping.
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Are you in a small TT similar to a 2108DS?
Old 06-02-2019, 06:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2250DS. I installed two 100ah AGM batteries, a dedicated 30 amp charger, and we use a 100 watt Renogy solar suitcase along with an EU2200i Honda generator. We prefer boon docking and our system works well for us. According to our BMV712 battery monitor, we use between 30 and 50 AH each night which includes making a pot of coffee using the inverter. Temps have been generally down to the 40’s and the furnace has run a number of cycles.

Once the sun comes up, I’ll position the solar panel and start charging, but the heavy lifting is done by the generator and charger, usually with about a one hour run sometime in the morning. The generator puts back about 75% of what we used, but then the charging slows down. This is when the solar suitcase works extremely well — it puts back the last 25%, generally by lunch time. I do reposition the panel a few times per day, but I find it to be very rewarding to see how much power we’re producing on the Victron app on my phone.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Lithium batteries are a great but pricey addition. BUT........faster rate of charge, they can be taken down to 10% charge w/out damage vs 49% for wet cells, AGMs.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I ended up getting a Renolgy two hundred watt suitcase drove from Austin TX to Maine over a two week period dry camping in Nat Forest and staying in some state parks. The two hundred watts seems totally sufficient being able to position to the sun is a big plus. Put them out at 8 this morning the controller showed 100% at 1 pm. That said, I hand grind my coffee and use a French press not a coffee maker. I have used the gen for AC the first week of the trip but then it cooled further north.
Phil Bunker

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel