Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Skype™ to nancyvideo
Suggestions?

The GFI electric switch in my bath, which controls kitchen and desk lights, won't work. Anyone have this problem.
Is is just a simple matter of having an electrician replace the GFI switch - or could this be something else?
2005 Winnebago Aspect
nancyvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I assume when you say the GFI won't work, that you've already tried to push the button on the switch to reset it?

If you've tried that with no luck then I would make sure that there weren't any breakers tripped in the coach before replacing the GFI outlet. They're really pretty easy to replace but if you're not crazy about messing with electrical stuff getting an electrician would be a good idea.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

A GFI wont reset until there is power to it.
If the breaker or fuse is tripped, or you not plugged into shore power, the GFI wont reset.

Note: Most inverters only power some outlets, so you may have a situation where one outlet has juice, and the one next to it doesnt. It drove me crazy when it happened to me...
Old 08-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2007 Journey and the GFI outlets in both the bathroom area and kitchen areas seem to be very sensitive. They will trip when shutting off a fan plugged into the outlet or maybe when the coffee maker shuts off. This sounds similar to nancyvideo's problem. I could use suggestions also.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Nancy, I am guessing that you probably have one of the above suggestions causing your outage. I would try the following:
1. Either plug into shore power or fire up your generator. Try pressing the button on the receptical and see if it resets. If not, go to step 2:
2. Check your AC breakers and see if one has tripped.
3. Have an electrician or RV serviceperson check the incoming power to the switch and see if it's hot. If it is, you've got either a bad GFCI receptical or you've got a short on the load side of the GFCI.
Let us know what you find.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Bad GFI's are more common than we think. They are very sensitive to the current flow and can default. If nothing else is obvious, it may be the GFI. We bought a new house once that was located not to far from RR tracks. Everytime a train went by, it tripped the GFI thru ground vibration. Weird. Hope you have figured it out by now.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I hate it when the resolution is never posted.

But a resolution not posted, is much better than a resolution not found!