Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-08-2016, 11:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Strange Gen-Set Gremlin

I have a diesel Cummins Onan 10,000 in a 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD. The last two times I've run the gen-set the most peculiar thing has happened. I can't shut the dang thing off!

I hit the "off" switch at the control center, (mid-coach) and tried the switch on the dash also.....and it wouldn't cut off. I've even tried holding each "off" switch, no response. Here's the strange part.....first time it did this, I stood scratching my head for about 10 minutes, then for the heck of it hit the mid-coach "off" switch again, and it shut down. Tonight, I waited again a few minutes, then on the dash switch I hit "on" then "off" and it shut down. A minute earlier that didn't work.

It's never done this before the last two runnings. Been reading some on it, but haven't got to the bottom of it yet. Thought I'd see if anyone here knows what's going on, or has experienced this as well.

One time last year it was the reverse. I couldn't get it to start! What remedied that was disconnecting the wires coupling on (at) gen-set and reconnecting after waiting a few seconds.....it fired right up.

Any Ideas? Gonna hit the sack, I'll check back in the 'morrow. Thanks in advance all....
Best Regards,
W.D.
2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

That is strange! We've got a Onan 12.5 and I can't get the auto start nor manual start to work. I'm probably going to find a bad connection somewhere. Have you started checking for a loose/intermittent connection?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
That is strange! We've got a Onan 12.5 and I can't get the auto start nor manual start to work. I'm probably going to find a bad connection somewhere. Have you started checking for a loose/intermittent connection?
I'm going to check that coupling I mentioned (again). The contacts inside it looked clean as a whistle when I unhooked it before. But could be loose. I plan to have a visit with Onan CS too. I'll report what they think it could be. Easiest thing for them to say is bad control panel etc. We'll see. Any further guesses are welcome.

Regards,
W.D.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
I'm going to check that coupling I mentioned (again). The contacts inside it looked clean as a whistle when I unhooked it before. But could be loose. I plan to have a visit with Onan CS too. I'll report what they think it could be. Easiest thing for them to say is bad control panel etc. We'll see. Any further guesses are welcome.

Regards,
W.D.
W.D., did you pull the control harness connector apart at the genset yet? I recently did on mine just because. I frequently read of these gremlins and I wanted to be proactive. All looked clean and secure but I sprayed the contacts. I would also suggest a dab of electrical contact no-ox. I use this stuff on my power cord when I clean the prongs. I got it at HD. Mine is made by Ideal.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 06-09-2016, 08:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Rick, I have some contact cleaner I bought at Radio Shack, but I'll get some of what you use and give it a shot. I plan to get at that coupling tomorrow afternoon. Soon as I do, I'll then give it a test run and report back.

Best regards,
W.D.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
W.D., did you pull the control harness connector apart at the genset yet? I recently did on mine just because. I frequently read of these gremlins and I wanted to be proactive. All looked clean and secure but I sprayed the contacts. I would also suggest a dab of electrical contact no-ox. I use this stuff on my power cord when I clean the prongs. I got it at HD. Mine is made by Ideal.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Rick I got some of that no-ox goop by Ideal. I pulled the coupling apart, all looked pretty clean. The Vaseline looking grease the factory puts in these connectors is still there. I applied the no-ox to each pin and pin hole and snapped it back together. I also zip-tied the coupling to the frame of the front shield to hold it steady in place. I then fired up gen-set from mid-coach control center, (response was great) and let it run about ten minutes. When I hit the stop button the response was also instantaneous.....it stopped as it should.

So, at this point, it looks like this did the trick. It's amazing how a connection that to the naked eye looks clean can malfunction from even the slightest disruption in current/signal. Thanks for the recommendation!

Best regards,
W.D.
2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
Old 06-13-2016, 09:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Rick I got some of that no-ox goop by Ideal. I pulled the coupling apart, all looked pretty clean. The Vaseline looking grease the factory puts in these connectors is still there. I applied the no-ox to each pin and pin hole and snapped it back together. I also zip-tied the coupling to the frame of the front shield to hold it steady in place. I then fired up gen-set from mid-coach control center, (response was great) and let it run about ten minutes. When I hit the stop button the response was also instantaneous.....it stopped as it should.

So, at this point, it looks like this did the trick. It's amazing how a connection that to the naked eye looks clean can malfunction from even the slightest disruption in current/signal. Thanks for the recommendation!

Best regards,
W.D.
2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
It is so sweet when my suggestions actually produce fruit! Thanks for the success story.

This is a bit late but... My generator was stopping when in Auto Start mode and then restarting a few seconds later. It would only do this routine once each cycle. It was oil change time so I did that. When I do work on the genset I usually pull that connector open for safety. This is when I put the no-ox in it. I didn't like what I saw though, in most cases it would be considered good. Gensets are a funny bread. I have had no more issues.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 06-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Always a good idea to plug apart the remote connector at the generator to isolate the generator from the motorhome. If the generator starts and stops using the switch on the genset, the issue is in the connector or the motorhome.

If your generator with the Energy Command 30 Auto-Start runs for 10 minutes, shuts down and restarting in 10 seconds, you might need a software update. If you are coming to the GNR, Cummins Onan will be able to reprogram your control at the rally.
lotsoftoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoftoys View Post
Always a good idea to plug apart the remote connector at the generator to isolate the generator from the motorhome. If the generator starts and stops using the switch on the genset, the issue is in the connector or the motorhome.

If your generator with the Energy Command 30 Auto-Start runs for 10 minutes, shuts down and restarting in 10 seconds, you might need a software update. If you are coming to the GNR, Cummins Onan will be able to reprogram your control at the rally.
I hope you have been well welcomed to irv2. This is great information. We are first timers to the GNR this year. I'll check this out. Thanks.

Rick Y