Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Still having trouble with tail lights

Minnie Winnie 27Q

I have no tail lights or running lights. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have checked the fuses under the hood of my e-450 ford cab.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Terriblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I had a problem with one of my E 350s and found the headlight switch was going bad. You could jiggle it and get them to light or work the switch back and forth and the would sometimes light. I eventually replaced the switch. Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

There could be more than one cause.

The first thing I would do is clean the metal contacts. (Both the connectors and the bulbs). It would be unusual for both the right and left side to go out at the same time. After you clean the contacts...get a voltmeter and see if you have voltage when the headlamps are turned on.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hi ! Welcome to the forum! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't help with your question! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:09 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terriblet View Post
Minnie Winnie 27Q

I have no tail lights or running lights. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have checked the fuses under the hood of my e-450 ford cab.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
We had a similar issue several years ago with a 2005 Aspect E-450. Headlights and turn signals on the cab worked fine but nothing on the rear or the clearance lights at the top of the coach worked. After checking fuses, wiring and switches it ended up being a ground wire at the rear of the coach that had a bit of corrosion. My culprit was very easy to find as it was the main ground attached to a frame member within 2 feet of the rear of the coach on the driver's side frame rail. Removed, cleaned, replaced. If only I had started there!
Old 05-13-2017, 06:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The first place to start is welcoming you to irv2, and hoping once this issue is resolved, you enjoy the RV lifestyle for may years to come.

Now, to your problem. You did right by checking the fuses first.
Solo2 mentioned a grounding issue. This has been a problem with several of the E class FORD platforms.

I don't know how handy you are with a 12 volt circuit tester, but it is an essential tool when dealing with 12v electrical lighting and trailer wiring issues.

Let us know how things are progressing.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo2 View Post
We had a similar issue several years ago with a 2005 Aspect E-450. Headlights and turn signals on the cab worked fine but nothing on the rear or the clearance lights at the top of the coach worked. After checking fuses, wiring and switches it ended up being a ground wire at the rear of the coach that had a bit of corrosion. My culprit was very easy to find as it was the main ground attached to a frame member within 2 feet of the rear of the coach on the driver's side frame rail. Removed, cleaned, replaced. If only I had started there!
The most common cause of non-working 12V lighting is poor/missing ground. I was ready to just sell my cargo trailer when I couldn't get tail lights to work. I eventually found a ground wire broken, inside the intact covering, by accident. Moved the wire in the right place and lights flickered.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights