Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Step-cover moving sloooow/incomplete cycling

My step-cover moves very slowly and will not lock in the extended position sometimes. When retract button is pushed it will unlock but not retract. I must use the manual switch, then pull the cover into the floor dock. Camping World replaced all the components last summer and it worked as designed. Since cold weather arrived the first 2 sentences apply. It's almost like inadequate air pressure is the problem.
Anyone know what is happening and why?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We are sitting at -5 C and I am noticing that the steps are slow to extend and retract. Everything slows in this weather, even me!
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Mine step cover was very slow until I sprayed some lubricant on the moving parts. Made a huge difference.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

irv2 put me onto a CRC spray lube that has changed all of the problems with squeaking and moving slow to success stories. Though I don't recall who put me onto this product, I bless them every day. CRC Power Lube Industrial High Performance Lubricant with PTFE, 11 oz Aerosol Can, Light Amber/White: Amazon.com: Automotive

I am on my second can. I have used it on the awning, steps, step cover, jacks, hinges and anything that shows rust. What a difference! If it is sticking this stuff will free it up and keep it working without picking up dirt.

For instance: Cleaned the jacks with WD40 and used the CRC on them. Experiment: 21* this morning and jacks came up in about 1 1/2 minutes! All 4!!!!

Awning sounded like fighting cats when we first got the coach. Now it is a quiet as a purring kitten.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
voltage and lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
My step-cover moves very slowly and will not lock in the extended position sometimes. When retract button is pushed it will unlock but not retract. I must use the manual switch, then pull the cover into the floor dock. Camping World replaced all the components last summer and it worked as designed. Since cold weather arrived the first 2 sentences apply. It's almost like inadequate air pressure is the problem.
Anyone know what is happening and why?

I found that low chassis battery voltage may make it slow but lube on moving parts really helps. Also found that sometime it looses memory so I have to unplug the connector under the step to reset the relay.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

La Dagobabo, my step-cover is air-operated, no electricals involved. I'll buy a can of CRC and do the lube thing, when the roads clear so I can drive to town.Thanks for that tip guys!
I'm aware that Kwikee states to lube the outside step monthly for proper operation, fact is, I spray-lube the Kwikee step weekly if I drive in rain.
We planned to leave for Key West in the morning, but the weather stopped that cold.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
La Dagobabo, my step-cover is air-operated, no electricals involved. I'll buy a can of CRC and do the lube thing, when the roads clear so I can drive to town.Thanks for that tip guys!
I'm aware that Kwikee states to lube the outside step monthly for proper operation, fact is, I spray-lube the Kwikee step weekly if I drive in rain.
We planned to leave for Key West in the morning, but the weather stopped that cold.
Hey Ray. Your coach is unique to me. I have never heard of air-operated step cover. This may be something Winne tried at one time. I wonder if there is a filter on the motor somewhere that is plugged? I doubt if Spartan can help. This is a coach related problem. Do you have a separate air pump that operates for the cover??

You, my friend, have some unique problems with the creeping coach and air cover. WoW! Love this. Good learning sessions.

Rick
Old 12-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Ray,

I just found this tidbit that may be the answer: "The step cover movement is powered by air pressure from the air brake/horn system. If system air pressure drops below 60 psi (shown on gauge in lower center of instrument panel), the step cover will not operate properly. If the air pressure is too low to retract step, use the Emergency Air Release Valve as described below."

You can find this on page 2-8 of your owners manual. Sure made a monkey out of me. I was doubting the "air" cover. Shame on me.

I hope this is your problem. What a simple solution. Start the engine and charge up the air!

Rick
Old 12-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

The entire step-cover sysem was replaced last summer, and worked perfectly afterwards; until cool weather set-in (above freezing). Then it moved very slow, enough to not lock in travel position. I had to use the release valve to pull it back under the floor when we arrived home, it would unlock and stay there.
I'm down with back issues now or I would extend genset and crawl underneath to lube everything (re:CRC) related to mechanical cover movement, and inspect air lines for pinching/kink/ aged, collapsed line.

Owning and maintaining a MH is challenging. I always suspected they were quite complicated, now I know enough to be dangerous.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The entire step-cover sysem was replaced last summer, and worked perfectly afterwards; until cool weather set-in (above freezing). Then it moved very slow, enough to not lock in travel position. I had to use the release valve to pull it back under the floor when we arrived home, it would unlock and stay there.
I'm down with back issues now or I would extend genset and crawl underneath to lube everything (re:CRC) related to mechanical cover movement, and inspect air lines for pinching/kink/ aged, collapsed line.

Owning and maintaining a MH is challenging. I always suspected they were quite complicated, now I know enough to be dangerous.
You need a good neighbor. If I were next door or close by I would certainly offer a hand. Are you anywhere near Dallas east?

I have suffered many setbacks with back problems. I truly feel for you.

Hope things work out better and soon for you.

Rick
Old 12-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Thank you for the offer, Nope, Indiana-- for now. My back problems began with a motorcycle crash, I covered it up while in the Army, no-one knew. Bone cruncher today, I feel a lot better(slipped disc), just have to remember to stay quiet until next appt.
Tomorrow DW will help me do some of that stuff, and load MH, if I don't lose her in that 7" snow between house N garage.
I have decided to go with coach as-is, and leave for NASKW this Weekend, back should be OK by then.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thank you for the offer, Nope, Indiana-- for now. My back problems began with a motorcycle crash, I covered it up while in the Army, no-one knew. Bone cruncher today, I feel a lot better(slipped disc), just have to remember to stay quiet until next appt.
Tomorrow DW will help me do some of that stuff, and load MH, if I don't lose her in that 7" snow between house N garage.
I have decided to go with coach as-is, and leave for NASKW this Weekend, back should be OK by then.
And I am whining about 22*?

Sorry your back is from a crash. As we get older the healing reverses. If I don't keep active, but with lots of wisdom, I end up bed ridden for a few days. Hate that.

For those of us uneducated to acronyms....NASKW?

In any case, happy and safe trails.
Rick
Old 12-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Naval Air Station Key West/NASKW; has a campground with about 80 FHU and almost unlimited dry camping on base. Active-duty, Retired(me), and 100% disabled veterans have access.
I'll fire up the MH tomorrow, lower jacks until just touching floor without dumping air bags; then open slide and observe for coach settling down. If it doesn't, it will prove the theory about the air-ride leveling system compensating for slide weight by causing the leveling system to dump air in an attempt to maintain level. I'm leaving the coolant heater on all night so the engine will start/start easier at 9*F in the morning. I'll try to extend the step-cover and crawl underneath with my can of CRC and try to lube all the cover mechanicals.
Roads are now clear, time to finish packing and get out of here, hopefully Saturday.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:54 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Naval Air Station Key West/NASKW; has a campground with about 80 FHU and almost unlimited dry camping on base. Active-duty, Retired(me), and 100% disabled veterans have access.
I'll fire up the MH tomorrow, lower jacks until just touching floor without dumping air bags; then open slide and observe for coach settling down. If it doesn't, it will prove the theory about the air-ride leveling system compensating for slide weight by causing the leveling system to dump air in an attempt to maintain level. I'm leaving the coolant heater on all night so the engine will start/start easier at 9*F in the morning. I'll try to extend the step-cover and crawl underneath with my can of CRC and try to lube all the cover mechanicals.
Roads are now clear, time to finish packing and get out of here, hopefully Saturday.
Getting out sounds like a plan! At that temp I can understand the slow movement. If I recall correctly the old Corvettes and other cars with vacuum headlights often had trouble in cold weather. I wonder if this is similar in your case. I hope the CRC at least helps.

Safe travels to the Keys. The last winter I was in the Keys it did nothing but rain and was miserably cool.

Thanks for your service and many blessing.

Rick
Old 12-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Don't know if the step cover on mine is air operated or not. I've never had a problem with it. I don't hear a motor when it is moving, but we do not have the visible release valve control I have seen on others.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Ray,

Mine is also slow to move and may be the cold too (in Kentucky right now). I have never lubed mine and not sure how to access to do it. You mentioned sliding the gen set out, is there an access panel for the steps? My gen set is not on a slide but maybe I can get access, just need to know what I'm looking for.

Phil
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Paul, both my step-cover and my genset slide are air-operated, the genset slide works OK.

Phil, access to my step-cover innards is directly above my genset, thus I have to extend its slide mechanism to even see the access panel. I don't really know what to look for either. Tomorrow we return to Camping World to have the problem fixed. They have a work pit, like the old grease/oil change pits.
Today I played with the step-cover and discovered I can hear air escaping when I move it by hand, so I suspect an air leak. It barely moves with the switch and can be moved either way by hand without using the emergency release valve.
Hopefully CW gets it fixed early tomorrow, we're supposed to get several inches of snow late tomorrow, I'd rather be home before then.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #18
KIX
Winnebago Master

Ray, We also have the air operated step well cover with the bypass "switch" in front of pax seat. On ours there is a MAC valve on the "firewall" driver side. It's mounted vertically with the open and close solenoids on top and bottom. This is a very common part available at truck parts stores like NAPA for $25 or so. I am told that the solenoid plunger inside the valve sticks sometimes. It was suggested to me when we had problems that I remove one of the exhausts (2 small on side of valve--screw in) and spray some lube of some kind in then replace the exhaust. Ours started working before I had to do that. Hope this info helps you. Travel safe and enjoy NASKW.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

UPDATE:
I was totally wrong. The step cover is NOT air operated, it operates by Vacuum per Camping World/Winnebago. The problem turned out to be; everything in the cover well was very dirty and blocking easy movement. The technician cleaned out the well and lubricated the needed parts. Apparently part of the problem was the dash heater vacuum stuff, the tech replaced all the valves today too. Step cover now works as designed again.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help! Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I hope you can get on the road tomorrow. It looks like you will get a pretty good snow event this morning and tomorrow. Drive safely and hope for above freezing temps after only a couple of hours on the road.