Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sony backup monitor blows fuses

Have a 2001 adventurer that has a sony b&w backup monitor. We just purchased the coach used a week ago. The backup camera system blows the fuse. It did it at the dealer last week. They replaced the fuse. It worked fine till this weekend and blew again. Any clue as to why it would do that?
Old 10-11-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwj212 View Post
Have a 2001 adventurer that has a sony b&w backup monitor. We just purchased the coach used a week ago. The backup camera system blows the fuse. It did it at the dealer last week. They replaced the fuse. It worked fine till this weekend and blew again. Any clue as to why it would do that?
on my '01 35u adventurer, the sony bw backup cam monitor uses the same fuse as the ''coach heater'' blower. the switch is a 3 position switch located on the dash. the middle position is off. i removed the hot wire from the switch. ims it is the center wire on the switch.
the basket on my blower was hitting slightly on the housing causing too much current draw and the fuse would blow frequently when i inadvertently turned on the coach heater fan.
it is a real pita to get to the blower to correct this situation. use the search function of this forum to get the scoop on remedying this problem. it seems that in most cases, the blower basket is not secured properly to the motor shaft and migrates enough to hit the housing. sometimes the basket can be repositioned and epoxied to the shaft. sometimes the motor must be replaced. i think my motor is kaput.
i have been getting along fine without the coach heater for over 4 years. i have driving/fog lights that i am going to install and may use the dash blower switch to control them.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I just found the fuse that the backup camera is tied to. It is in the step alarm circuit. The workhorse chassis manual shows that fuse as a 5A. There was a 15A in there. I replaced it with a 15 as before and it works. Not sure how to proceed. Is the step alarm at fault? I didn't know it had a step alarm. Is it the monitor?
Old 10-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

In my ’04 Suncruiser, the fuse in question is 15A. It is labeled STEP ALARM, and it powers the entry steps' auto-retract feature. Many others have reported that their rear view cameras are on this fuse, too. I posted info on my problems with this fuse in a couple of other places, including “Water Heater Removal & Coach Heater Repair” on the Files tab under Heating and Cooling. If your Coach Heater switch is on but blows no air, the fuse will blow. With such blower problems, it is also possible to burn out the resistor (in the blower assembly) that gives you the Low speed function.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmoxness View Post
In my ’04 Suncruiser, the fuse in question is 15A. It is labeled STEP ALARM, and it powers the entry steps' auto-retract feature. Many others have reported that their rear view cameras are on this fuse, too. I posted info on my problems with this fuse in a couple of other places, including “Water Heater Removal & Coach Heater Repair” on the Files tab under Heating and Cooling. If your Coach Heater switch is on but blows no air, the fuse will blow. With such blower problems, it is also possible to burn out the resistor (in the blower assembly) that gives you the Low speed function.
Thanks for the info! I just downloaded the file and will look it over.

I am new to this forum since we purchased our 2001 Adventurer a couple weeks ago. Lots of excellent info!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My fuse problem is for sure related to the coach heater. The second I hit the heater switch, the fuse blows and I lose the rear camera video. It was like that when I purchased the coach but I didn't know it at the time. It's back at the dealer.

The electric side of the water heater doesn't work either, as far as I can tell. There is no amp draw on the EMS when I turn on the switch. Related?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwj212 View Post
My fuse problem is for sure related to the coach heater. The second I hit the heater switch, the fuse blows and I lose the rear camera video. It was like that when I purchased the coach but I didn't know it at the time. It's back at the dealer.

The electric side of the water heater doesn't work either, as far as I can tell. There is no amp draw on the EMS when I turn on the switch. Related?
the electric water heater is probably not related to the coach heater fuse.
on my moho there is a 110v circuit breaker for the water heater. there is also a second on-off switch located behind the water heater. it was on the forward side of a small box on mine and i needed a mirror to see it. there is also a push button ''eco'' overheat reset on the back of the water heater. the switch is on pg 6, fig 11 of this atwood manual.
someone may have turned the water heater power on with no water in the tank. if the eco switch did not open quickly enough, the heater element would have burned out. the part number for my 10 gal wh element is 0711 1400w12v r101901412.

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/operating/atwood1.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATWOOD H20 HEATER LOCATONS.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	15266  
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote