Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Some electrical outlets not working...

Evening all, we have a 2016 Vista LX 30T. Our question is for whatever reason most of our electrical outlets are not wworking. The fuses and breakers appear to be ok. Also the front tv and bedroom tvs are not working either.

Could not find anything in the manuals. Any ideas?
JoeLui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Shore or generator power?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Power comes in from either the shore cable or generator to a transfer switch.

There is a 30 amp breaker in the generator.
There is a 30 amp breaker in the shore power.

The transfer switch feeds a 30 amp main breaker in the electrical box.

There if are problems with any of the above you will have no AC power in the RV anywhere, except for a few outlets fed by the 1000 watt inverter if you have the invererter on.

Easy way to see if you have AC power to the breaker box is to see if you have the Clock display on your Microwave on. If so you are getting AC into the breaker box.

Past there, there is nothing that would break "most" of your outlets. But there are things that can break "some" of your outlets.

There are two circuit breakers that feed all of your convenience outlets, and part of all the convenience outlets on one of those circuits will be fed thru a GFCI outlet. In my Vista the GFCI outlet is by the kitchen sink but it may be somewhere else in yours as you have a different model than I do.

The outlets fed thru the inverter are fed by a GFCI in the end of the Xantrex inverter.

My money's on one of your GFCI outlets has tripped and you need to push in the RESET button on it.

Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Since you say MOST of the electrical outlets are not working, which implies that some of them are working, my bet is on either a tripped GFCI outlet or a tripped breaker on the inverter.
Outlets are often daisy chained off an apparently unrelated (not nearby) GFCI outlet.
If you have an inverter, it probably has a pass through function for shore power. If the inverter has a tripped breaker (very small buttons on one side or the other) then it won't pass the power through to the RV.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Shore.
JoeLui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #6
Veteran & RV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLui View Post
Evening all, we have a 2016 Vista LX 30T. Our question is for whatever reason most of our electrical outlets are not wworking. The fuses and breakers appear to be ok. Also the front tv and bedroom tvs are not working either.

Check all your GFCI breakers! I had the same issue with my plugs in the living area not working. Found the GFCI in the kitchen was tripped and when reset all the plugs in the living area came alive.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Here are the full wiring diagrams for your coach (pick the correct one based on your coach SN) and the specific 110V one of interest here:

30T (Serial Number begins with 10E42U1) Wiring Diagrams:
Body, 110 Volt Wiring Installation/Diagram
30T (Serial Number begins with 10E42U2) Wiring Diagrams:
Body, 110 Volt Wiring Installation/Diagram

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:32 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Look for the GFI plug(s) and I am willing to bet that one or more is tripped. That or the breaker on your inverter has tripped.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

This happened to me check the GFI in the kitchen or bathroom.
Jpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I had a similar problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLui View Post

I had a similar problem with my Itasca Sunova 33C. No breakers were tripped but some of the outlets were not working. We (I had help from professionals) found a continuity break in a junction box behind the control panel in the hall.

Winnebago uses "V" shaped quick wiring connections that work with a punch tool. One of the connections, possibly from the vibrations of being on the road, worked itself loose, taking out several important electrical outlets in the coach.

If checking all of your GFI outlets to make sure that none of them are tripped and making sure that the breaker on your inverter has not tripped does not resolve your problem, it may be a failed junction box connection similar to mine.
lewisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

i too think the next thing to check is the GFIC. I had these symptons and eventually found it was the GF, side wall of the kitchen sink in my 2017 FUSE.
highfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Always carry a "Chinese chop-stick" in the coach. Go to your GFI outlets and push the reset button all the way in with the chop-stick. You will most likely reset the switch and all the effected outlets will work.
Moonie
moonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Please more about junction box

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisedge View Post
I had a similar problem with my Itasca Sunova 33C. No breakers were tripped but some of the outlets were not working. We (I had help from professionals) found a continuity break in a junction box behind the control panel in the hall.

Winnebago uses "V" shaped quick wiring connections that work with a punch tool. One of the connections, possibly from the vibrations of being on the road, worked itself loose, taking out several important electrical outlets in the coach.

If checking all of your GFI outlets to make sure that none of them are tripped and making sure that the breaker on your inverter has not tripped does not resolve your problem, it may be a failed junction box connection similar to mine.
I am intrigued by the Junction Box in the hallway. I have a 2011 Sunova 33c and don't know where this is. Unless you are taking about behind the OnePlace panel? On the wall backing the shower?
Old 12-26-2018, 11:35 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Most RV makers use self contained Speed Outlets and Junction Boxes that don't need separate outlet boxes, for their 15 amp 120 VAC outlets. One common brand is Diamond Group Speed Box. They are thinner and are factory installed using a special tool to open up the romex and stab the wires into the channels, which have copper prorngs that provide the connection to the outlets. The whole thing is closed up with a plastic rear cover. If the wires don't get properly pushed on to the stab prongs then if a large load like a 1500 watt heater or large cooking appliance then they overheat and fail, without tripping the breaker.

They are also used as junction boxes to splice romex together. They even make some without outlets on the front for the junction box purpose.

They can be manually installed without the special tool, if one needs to be replaced. But find and read the instructions on the internet so you do it right. Just takes a sharp knife, needle nose pliers, and a larger pliers like water pump pliers to snap the back cover on, when you install one manually.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:26 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

My receptacle in the back that can work off the inverter or shore power....is only working when the inverter is on. It doesn’t work on shore power��*♀️
Birdie2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:33 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie2017 View Post
My receptacle in the back that can work off the inverter or shore power....is only working when the inverter is on. It doesn’t work on shore power��*♀️
Have you considered how much easier it would be to figure out if we knew what kind of RV you have?
Old/new, trailer/motorhome, what model and what length? There are just a lot of different RV out there and they all have their own special little points to consider.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:56 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Morich....I have a Winnebago VIA 25t.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:30 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie2017 View Post
Morich....I have a Winnebago VIA 25t.

Okay, I did a look at how some of the via 25 T are wired but not certain of which one but I can give some general help, perhaps.

This is the group of drawings which we need to use to trace out where the power comes from and what route it takes to get there:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

If you go to those drawings and sort out exactly which year, make and model of
RV, it takes you to a list of all the different electrical in your specific unit, where you can then choose to look at the 110AC wiring. I chose the 2015 year at random as an example, so be aware this may not be the same if you have a different year, but the idea is the same.
The first picture is from sheet two of this drawing and shows an outlet in the back near the bed and how it gets power:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_186250.pdf

Sheet four may be the more useful page (If you know where things are in the RV?) as it shows how the wires tie things together. The second picture shows the power comes in to a 30 amp breaker at the load center and that breaker then feeds the smaller 15 amp breakers. the third breaker from the left leads to the inverter and the bedroom outlets, so that is one place to check as easy.

But knowing if the other outlets on that line are working normal will tell you if the breaker is tripped as a tripped breaker will kill the whole line. But if the inverter has lost the 110 ac it normally just passes on to the outlets, it may still be connected to the batteries and make 110 AC for them!

So things to check are that the breaker is okay and then it is possible the inverter has a cord which has come unplugged. That cord often has on outlet right next to the inverter and they can come loose.

Since you are getting power to the outlet from the inverter, I would guess that the inverter itself is okay but maybe just unplugged?

So the 2015 had two different locations for the inverter as shown in the last picture. So can you find the inverter to check the plug? One location is shown as low under the stovetop and the other under the sink! One might get lucky and hear a small hum from the inverter, if you have not found it. But then it may be hidden under a cabinet, etc where you need to remove a small piece of panel, etc to get to it.

See if that helps and give us a report on what you find?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015via.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	178570   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015via2.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	178571  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015viainverter.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	178572  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:43 PM   #19
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Most RV makers use self contained Speed Outlets and Junction Boxes that don't need separate outlet boxes, for their 15 amp 120 VAC outlets. One common brand is Diamond Group Speed Box. They are thinner and are factory installed using a special tool to open up the romex and stab the wires into the channels, which have copper prorngs that provide the connection to the outlets. The whole thing is closed up with a plastic rear cover. If the wires don't get properly pushed on to the stab prongs then if a large load like a 1500 watt heater or large cooking appliance then they overheat and fail, without tripping the breaker.

They are also used as junction boxes to splice romex together. They even make some without outlets on the front for the junction box purpose.

They can be manually installed without the special tool, if one needs to be replaced. But find and read the instructions on the internet so you do it right. Just takes a sharp knife, needle nose pliers, and a larger pliers like water pump pliers to snap the back cover on, when you install one manually.
Exactly. Every time I work on a plug, or one of those “junction” boxes, I replace it with a real one that you’d use in a home. I hate those things.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:53 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

OMG!! You are soooo knowledgeable about this!! Thank you so much!! My VIA is a 2017. My son is an electrician and said he will help me figure this out. The drawings will be so very helpful. THANK YOU��

Tags
electrical