Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Solenoid question

The battery boost switch seems to have no affect and it also looks like the house batteries do not charge from the alternator. This sounds like the aux start solenoid? If so before I open up the panel in the electric bay is there a part number and/or can I get one that will work just as good from an auto parts store? Did a few searches here and I'm still a little confused.

I plan to tear into it anyway but any advance help is appreciated.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yes, you can get one from an auto parts store. just make sure it is continuous duty and preferably rated for 200 amps. There are three connector and 4 connector versions depending on whether or not there is a separate ground lug or if it is grounded through the solenoid frame.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Trombetta makes the solenoid Winnebago uses. They have a much better series called the Bear series that is much more durable. When I replaced mine I bought one and then discovered I just didn't have the space for it - it is larger than the old one.
I had a heck of a time doing the replacement with the one that fits. It was very hard to get into the space and I could only use one hand at a time.

In any case a number of people have used a Bear replacement and I have not heard of any that have failed.

SEE HERE

Trombetta only sells through distributors. The one I used gave me very good service.

MurCal
41343 12th Street West
Palmdale, CA 93551
Phone:800-321-8386
Fax:661-947-7570
Old 09-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Here's an old thread with a bunch of good info: Yet another solenoid bites the dust! . It's a bit long, but has pictures and is worth reading. I ended up replacing the solenoid with the silver contact version and adding some resistors in series to drop the activation voltage a bit--It's still happy today.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You should be able to take the original one apart and clean the contacts inside. It will work like new again.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Sometimes these soleniods Get stuck from not switching , it works sometimes to tap on top lightly to activate .

Hope this helps,

James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
The battery boost switch seems to have no affect and it also looks like the house batteries do not charge from the alternator. This sounds like the aux start solenoid? If so before I open up the panel in the electric bay is there a part number and/or can I get one that will work just as good from an auto parts store? Did a few searches here and I'm still a little confused.

I plan to tear into it anyway but any advance help is appreciated.
HD4Mark,
Well Sir, sometimes the battery boost solenoid is used for charging the house batteries from the alternator and sometimes it's not. Before I'd go tearing into anything, I'd confirm if yours does or not. And, from the ones I've seen and worked with, those solenoids are about 3 times the size of the ones you'll find in the average auto parts store. They carry a serious amount more amperage. You've been given some good answers but, some thorough investigation of the system is needed prior to just replacing parts as a guess.

Now, you didn't say what kind of rig, engine, chassis, etc. you have so, I'll have to surmise that it's the one in your avatar, correct? And, if it's the 40 KD model and, on a Freightliner Chassis, I'll also assume your solenoids for both battery disconnect and auxiliary start, are both inside the left rear, just behind the duals compartment, correct? I could be way off here, just guessing. I too would like to know the outcome of what you find is the problem since our rigs are somewhat close in design and equipped.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

As described in the long thread I linked in above the basic problem is that the contactor that Trombetta sell to Winnebago is designed as a strictly 12 Volt continuous duty unit and when operated in a coach winds up with 13.8 to 14.4 volts across the coil the whole time the engine is running. This causes it to draw too much current and severely overheat.

Switching to the silver contact version of that contactor/solenoid and adding a couple of diodes or resisters in series with the activator power lead (which will reduce the voltage across the coil by a few volts) seems to solve the problem. Details are all in the above linked thread.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys for some great info and lots to read up on. This will be my next project as I am in the middle of replacing the coolant temperature sender on our Onan Quiet Diesel 7500. Not an easy task I am finding.

I will bring this thread up as soon as I get going on it
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Thanks guys for some great info and lots to read up on. This will be my next project as I am in the middle of replacing the coolant temperature sender on our Onan Quiet Diesel 7500. Not an easy task I am finding.

I will bring this thread up as soon as I get going on it
Except for a fuse, the only thing in the Boost circuit is the Isolator Solenoid and the switch. On some RVs, the same Solenoid is used to charge batteries thru a BIRD circuit.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
As described in the long thread I linked in above the basic problem is that the contactor that Trombetta sell to Winnebago is designed as a strictly 12 Volt continuous duty unit and when operated in a coach winds up with 13.8 to 14.4 volts across the coil the whole time the engine is running. This causes it to draw too much current and severely overheat.

Switching to the silver contact version of that contactor/solenoid and adding a couple of diodes or resisters in series with the activator power lead (which will reduce the voltage across the coil by a few volts) seems to solve the problem. Details are all in the above linked thread.
What he said!! Chris has been there, so have I. There is a wealth of info in the referenced thread.

As mentioned, it is not the contacts; it's the relay coil itself. Too much voltage.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

In my case the contacts failed, not the coil. I could hear it activate but the contacts didn't make.