Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2018, 01:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Solar Ready?

My new Winnebago Mini Travel Trailer 1808 FSB says it is "Solar Ready." So there is what looks like a SAE Zamp plug-in port on the side of the trailer. My question is twofold.

1. Is there a charge controller somewhere between that plug in and the batteries? Or is an external charge controller required?

2. If it is a Zamp plug-in, is it "reverse polarity" from normal panels such as Renology, which I consider a better buy than the expensive Zamp systems.
minerjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:59 AM   #2
El Rancho Nogotto

You will need a charge controller.
You will need an adapter if using Renogy connectors as Zamp is reverse wired.
hollerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Zamp Solar input

Thank you for that. So, to be clear, one of those panels with its own charge controller built in would be what I would want, and I would have to reverse the leads coming from the solar panel to match the Zamp input port.
minerjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:19 AM   #4
El Rancho Nogotto

You are correct. I believe Zamp sells the adapter that reverses polarity at the trailer connection.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #5
El Rancho Nogotto

I have the Renogy 100 watt Portable Suitcase for my t/trailer. Essentially plug-n-play, well constructed, nicely padded case included, and does a great job keeping my dual lead-acid batteries charged when boondocking. Buy the longest extension cables available when purchasing. This allows for greater flexibility when placing your panels around the rig.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Did you need to buy a separate adapter for the zamp plug and where did you purchase the suitcase and adapter, I was checking amazon? Thanks!
Rosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #7
El Rancho Nogotto

I purchased the portable solar suitcase directly from Renogy.com. My t/trailer is a 2016 model year and not “solar ready”, therefore I had no need for the Zamp adapter. At an RV show, I saw Zamp products on display and the adapter was available through them (Zamp).
Old 03-20-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Most of the panels are just 10 ga wire. When I installed mine I cut those fancy ends off. I crimped and solder in wire connectors and covered with marine grade shrink tubing. Doing it this way I could cut the wire to the length needed. I went an additional step and put the wires in metal conduit to protect them from the Arizona sun.
Tucsontoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar