Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Solar panels recommendations...

I'm looking to add another solar panel (to the one we already have) to our 2016 Winnebago Navion 24G. Figured this might be a good first step in increasing our battery capacity and not having to use the LP generator.

1) Asking for recommendations on another panel for the roof

2) It has NAPA batteries in it now. Other good battery choices?

I'd like to do this at a reasonable cost. I'm not looking to break the bank.

thanks.
wshardlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
Site Team

I’m not sure how much space you have on your roof, but my Adventurer came with one 100 w Zamp panel and was pre-wired for up to two more 100 w panels. I went with two Renergy panels because they were 1/4 the price of Zamp branded panels. They’re working fine together.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Solar panels are really a generic item these days so you should shop around. If you are going to change your house batteries, consider the 12v AGM batteries at Sams Club. Mine are 4 plus years old and still performing well with my 400 watts of solar keeping them continually topped up. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I ordered this... Renogy 160 Watt/150Watt 12 Volt Solar Panel (2 Pack/160 watt) from Amazon.

My project showing roof layout.
http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...ll-351641.html
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Adding additional solar panel suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshardlow View Post
I'm looking to add another solar panel (to the one we already have) to our 2016 Winnebago Navion 24G. Figured this might be a good first step in increasing our battery capacity and not having to use the LP generator.

1) Asking for recommendations on another panel for the roof

2) It has NAPA batteries in it now. Other good battery choices?

I'd like to do this at a reasonable cost. I'm not looking to break the bank.

thanks.
I just added a 100 watt panel to the two I had. All are from RENOGY in Ontario Calif. They have great prices and great on-phone engineers to assist you. Duplicate the type and model you have installed: Poly or Mono. You will most likely NOT need to change any charge controller or wiring as the 100 watts is approx. 6 amps installed. cost about 100- 150 bucks.
Moonie
moonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via MSN to e4services
I don't know what was pre-installed for a charge controller, but if you are adding output capacity, you better upgrade the controller also. Not just because of Watt capacity, but for the health of the batteries.
As an RV tech and retired Areospace Engineer, have ended up using this
EPEVER 20A 30A 40A Solar Charge Controller MPPT 12/24V, an inexpensive true MPPT controller
AND
I started buying 24V panels, not 12V. Why? If using a controller capable of 24V panel input, it will be able to hold a full BULK charge when it has sun, not just a , maybe, 13V charge under load.
That is my experience
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I found that Home Depot's online store had a good selection of reasonably priced panels. I ended up with two Grape Solar180-Watt monocrystalline panels for $258/ea and free shipping:

https://www.homedepot.com/s/solar%2520panel?NCNI-5
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I’m not sure how much space you have on your roof, but my Adventurer came with one 100 w Zamp panel and was pre-wired for up to two more 100 w panels. I went with two Renergy panels because they were 1/4 the price of Zamp branded panels. They’re working fine together.
I also have the Zamp panel and prewired for up to two more 100w panels. Wondering if I could just add a 100w Renergy panel to the roof (I have enough space) with out any issues? Thanks.

wilbur
wshardlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

According to this article, it all depends on the electrical characteristics of the two panels, not who made them:

https://solarpanelsvenue.com/mixing-solar-panels/
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:11 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshardlow View Post
I also have the Zamp panel and prewired for up to two more 100w panels. Wondering if I could just add a 100w Renergy panel to the roof (I have enough space) with out any issues? Thanks.

wilbur
In general, yes, but there is one issue. The Renergy uses a standard MC4 connector while the 3-port Zamp portal uses SAE connectors. So you’ll need to either buy converter cables or simply change the Renergy panel wiring to SAE. Also pay attention to the polarity of the cables. Zamp has their own way of wiring the SAE connectors.

It’s any easy fix but you’ll need to be aware of this.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I'm hoping to upgrade the NAPAs mine came with to a pair of 12V lithium LiFeP04 batteries, probably from Battle Born. They are very pricey, but there are some good videos on the net comparing FLA/AGM to LiFeP04. The advantages of lithium make the initial cost worth it, imo. They may not be for everyone, and the opinions on them vary widely, but that's normal.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via MSN to e4services
I am curious about this, never looked into to Lithium but it sounds like you have done your research.
I googled LiFeP04, I guess it is a manufacturers name. I am guessing you meant LiFePo or Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. And I did find there is a 100Ah one, looks about the size of a marine deep cycle.
Doesn't the charger or Inverter/Charger have to be able to support Lithium? What have you learned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I'm hoping to upgrade the NAPAs mine came with to a pair of 12V lithium LiFeP04 batteries, probably from Battle Born. They are very pricey, but there are some good videos on the net comparing FLA/AGM to LiFeP04. The advantages of lithium make the initial cost worth it, imo. They may not be for everyone, and the opinions on them vary widely, but that's normal.
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Not an expert on lithium - the chemical formula for most of the newer non-exploding lithium battery options is LiFeP04, as far as I know aka lithium iron phosphate as you suggest - per many websites. Semantics aside, there is a manufacturer known as LifeBlue that is based in Florida, but I've been dealing with Battle Born, in Reno, NV, out your way. I've emailed them a few times with some questions, and asked whether my PD9245 stock converter/charger plus the Zamp ZS-30A PWM solar controller in my Navion will do the charging - the answer was they'd be just fine according to them. The ZS30A has a lithium setting/charge algorithm to handle anything the PD9245 can't do. Keeping them warm is another lithium challenge, as they don't charge well at colder temperatures. Would need to find space inside the coach somewhere, like under the sink to cross that hurdle. Cold weather discharge works fine.
I've also asked about BB distributors and retailers, and have found that they are few and far between. Their 100 Ah option is a GR31 sized box IIRC, so that has to be considered as well. I'll probably get 2 of them, or might try a single 300 Ah model. Power source redundancy versus space available? Still thinking that one over.
Try searching the net for "Battle Born batteries" and "comparing FLA to Lithium batteries videos". There are some good ones out there that discuss the pros/cons with switching to them, price being the biggest con to current available lithium iron phosphate deep cycle batteries. However, over time, the lithium batteries have more than enough pros to make me consider them as the next upgrade I'll be doing to my Navion.
So, not an expert, just curious, and have sent a few emails.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel