Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2008, 02:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I just purchased an 07 Voyage. This is my second RV and needless to say I'm so proud of it. I do a lot of boondocking and need to add solar panels to this new rig. On my first RV I had them installed out in Arizona. Seems you can have that done everywhere out west but here in Texas no one knows much about panels.

Does anyone know of some one around the Houston, Dallas, Ft Worth area who is knowledgeable about Solar Panels? Thanks for any help you can send me.
Dive-n-diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I just purchased an 07 Voyage. This is my second RV and needless to say I'm so proud of it. I do a lot of boondocking and need to add solar panels to this new rig. On my first RV I had them installed out in Arizona. Seems you can have that done everywhere out west but here in Texas no one knows much about panels.

Does anyone know of some one around the Houston, Dallas, Ft Worth area who is knowledgeable about Solar Panels? Thanks for any help you can send me.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

After posting I realized I did not make myself very clear. Being a sf I looking for someone to advise me AND do the installation. I found lots of panels on line and can order them (if I really knew what I needed on this rig). But the installation is another thing. Help......
dive-n-diva
Old 10-27-2008, 03:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

-

Welcome to the forum! This is a 'learning' place. There are very few things posted here that someone hasn't done - or tried to do. Great group of people.

We don't have solar panels -- since we don't boondock (haven't yet anyway); but I'm sure someone will be along that will help.

Rose
Old 10-27-2008, 04:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Welcome Dive-n-diva. I am also a sf and transferred the panels that were on my previous coach to my current one. I did the work myself with help from someone to get the panels to the roof.

Did you Google it? I saw PPL Motorhomes and PPC RVs in Houston both list solar panel installation on their websites. I don't know anything about either one of those companies but someone here probably does. Did you ask your dealer? A couple of ideas I hope will help.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

If you do a lot a boondocking a quality solar system is a must, I believe the best RV solar systems available are provided by AM Solar. They have the solar panels specially made to their specs for RV use, they also use a MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) charge controller that boosts the amperage coming from the panels for better battery charging.
The bad news is they are located in Eugene OR., here is a link to the company, AM Solar.

No matter what system you decide to have installed, find a reputable RV Service Center in your area to do your solar installation, ask them they will procure and a system with the components you specify, they should be will to do that.

Another option is to get a quote for the installation of a customer provided system. If they are willing to work that way, you can order the system of choice, have it delivered directly to installers shop. Once it arrives drop off your RV and you are done. This would alleviate any mark-up the installer may place on procuring the system you specify.

I have an AM Solar 300 Watt system connected to 4 - 6V batteries, with a 2000 Watt inverter. We have boondocked for up to 10 days with this system without running our generator. This was in weather that the daily temperature ranged from 45 to 90 degrees, sunny to partly sunny conditions. We used the normal hotel loads, wife ran blow drier and curling iron, TV and home entertainment system usage in evening for a few hours, toaster in the mornings on occasion, fantastic roof vent fans were set to automatically run when temp inside motorhome exceeded 75 degrees. Battery voltage in the morning never got below 12.1V the entire time. The charge controller for this system allows you turn the system off, or select 2 different modes of operation, plugged into shore power (limits the charging current going to your batteries) or no shore power available (full power to the batteries). This system has out-performed the systems I had installed on my previous 2 RV's by a large margin, those systems were also 300Watt systems. I am sold on their products.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I agree with Spike totally about AM Solar. I purchased my panels from them in 1999 after attending one of their seminars. They were very helpful then and again last Dec when I moved the panels to my new coach and needed a new controller and parts. They are very helpful with instructions also. They may be able to recommend someone in the area who could install one of their systems.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Also,check with Earth Solar in Amarillo,Texas.They have been in business a long time and have reasonable prices.I bought a 130 watt Kyocera and was happy with them. Lloyd
flash1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I hate to sound like a broken record but I have the exact same system that Spike does and would do it again in an instant. It's clean, straight forward, and no screwing around ordering every little screw and bracket. I would suggest you call AM Solar and ask who they recommend to do the install in your area. It's not at all a big deal, but you want someone that knows what they're doing regardless of what system you go with. In my case I don't trust any of em' (did it myself) ...

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

i am looking at a 62 watt flexible roll-up solar panel that i can deploy wherever the sun is shining and connect to the batteries with alligator clips. you can put it on the roof or on the ground and just roll it up and store it when you break camp. check out the global p3 at:
siliconsolar.com
sorry, the link did work right.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I have the AM Solar charge controller and wish I had their panels. They are great people. Also, they periodically have roaming crews/workers in RVs that might be able to meet up with you and get their system installed. This would be the best of all worlds.

Or, you probably need a shake down trip... try going to Oregon, very nice out there.. Oh, has anybody mentioned, AM Solar is out there and you could have it all done there at one time...

Enjoy...
Zbugsii is offline   Reply With Quote