Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Solar panel installation

I just purchase a 2002 Winnebago Brave and want to install a solar panel or 2. Does anyone know where I should mount them and how to fasten them down?
jdmaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

TLI too little information What is your goal with solar, to eliminate the use of a noisy generator, keep batteries toed off...? Mount them where the will be be shaded by AC or raised roof vents... Depending on roof, Z mounts or if it is a solid, i.e. aluminum or Filon, You can use plastic mounts with 3M VHB tape.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the Forum. You will find lots of help here solving RV issues.
To get started with solar, you should first decide how much power you want/need, how many and what size of panel you will use and then how much suitable room you have on the roof to mount them. You can then determine if you can install what you think you need. You will then need to figure out where you want to mount the controller and how you will get to it and the batteries.
You should also understand the capacity and health of your battery bank. Your best bet is to try and sort out these issues in your mind and then you will better relate to the experiences of others who have installed and use Solar. The simplest option is installing a single panel to keep you batteries full while in storage.
Not sure this helps but it should get you started thinking.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmaag View Post
I just purchase a 2002 Winnebago Brave and want to install a solar panel or 2. Does anyone know where I should mount them and how to fasten them down?

Mount them on the roof, with screws. (sorry)

When I was researching solar, I did see a demonstration where a tiny corner of a panel was shaded by a roof AC cowl, and it made a HUGE impact on power output. So spending the time and effort to mount them thoughtfully pays off big time. If I can find it, I'll post and link it for you.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Welcome!

Suggest to use the search feature on this forum - lots of great info.

Here is an excellent site with a lot of common sense info.
AM Solar's Educational Pages for RV Solar Systems
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Sorry guys I guess I did give to little info. I know what I am doing as far as solar goes. I have 24 panels mounted on the roof of my house. Anyway my main concern is securing the panels to the fiberglass roof. I have seen comments on screwing them down or just taping them down. If I screw them down I do not want it to crack and the crack continue to grow thus causing a leak. If I tape them down with 3M vhb tape there is a possibility they might come off but I have not seem any comments on them coming off. So what do you think is a good way to go.
jdmaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I din't think there is much chance of the fiberglass cracking with screws, especially if they are predrilled. There is a layer of thin plywood and foam under the fiberglass. I haven't met or heard of anyone that had a panel come loose when laid in Dicor and screwed. I used TBT20 under the mounting brackets and then screwed them down.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I used butterfly bolts on mine, then made sure I caulked around the holes. After a year--so far so good.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

On my previous coach, I had 3 huge panels mounted. I used rubber plugs that I bought from Home Depot. Each of the plugs is about 1/2" in diameter and centered and molded to the rubber were 1/4 x 20 nuts. Drill a 1/2" hole in the roof, push in the plugs and as you tighten the bolt, it expands the plug and they won't pull out. I then applied roof sealer to each of the bolts.

In addition, I originally used 10 gauge wire but later a friend gave me several hundred feet of 6 gauge wire. I replaced the wire using the 6 gauge and the output to the batterys rose approximately 30%. The bigger the wire, the more current will pass.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
On my previous coach, I had 3 huge panels mounted. I used rubber plugs that I bought from Home Depot. Each of the plugs is about 1/2" in diameter and centered and molded to the rubber were 1/4 x 20 nuts. Drill a 1/2" hole in the roof, push in the plugs and as you tighten the bolt, it expands the plug and they won't pull out. I then applied roof sealer to each of the bolts.
I believe those "rubber plugs" are called "well nuts".
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

solar panel installation

Thanks guys for all your help. I think I will screw them down with SS screws and seal it.

Tags
install, solar