Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2019, 08:24 AM   #1
Shoregrass

Question solar charging hook up capabilities

We recently purchased a new 2020 Winnebago 29VE class A motorhome. Having the coach batteries under the step is a new experience for me. Can anyone tell my if this coach already has the capability to hook those batteries to exterior solar charging equipment, or do I need to try some sort of access to the battery compartment from underneath?

Frank Shaw
Shoregrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoregrass View Post
We recently purchased a new 2020 Winnebago 29VE class A motorhome. Having the coach batteries under the step is a new experience for me. Can anyone tell my if this coach already has the capability to hook those batteries to exterior solar charging equipment, or do I need to try some sort of access to the battery compartment from underneath?

Frank Shaw
Is there a "solar ready" option on your list of features that came with the RV? You should have sheet listing all features and options installed in the RV.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Not many Winnebagos come with solar prep unfortunately. WBGO is very slow to change. The company is big and does not want liability suits from sloppy roof penetrations etc. I would guess.

I am getting ready to install solar on my 2019 Sunstar 31BE. It was easy on my 99 Brave.

Pick a panel or two that will fit on the roof & buy a good controller, DIY the install or hire a local. There are several installers in our San Diego area. They usually run the wires down the refrigerator vent.

Be prepared to spend $1000-1200. For a +200 watt system. Install takes less than 4 hours complete. Best investment you can make if you camp in the boondocks. We have the most fun unplugged.

We camp a lot in the desert and at the beac so Solar is a must for our lifestyle.
Nickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Lots of info here, at IRV2.com, etc. If you have DIY skills and understand 12v wiring, it's not difficult. Many sources sell kits complete with panels, controller, etc. 200w is a good starting point, but make sure your controller can handle expansion. If you have a residential fridge, it's a different ball game. There are a number of sites that will help you calculate your daily needs and size your system.

Home Depot has a good selection of panels and kits on line.

My advice is to keep it simple and don't obsess over every variable or you'll either never get it done or spend too much.

And don't skimp on wire gauge. There are online calculators for this as well.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, solar