Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-10-2007, 05:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi All,

I have a 2007 Access 31C that just smoked the inverter!

We were boondocking and had the Genset running. Fridge, Microwave and TV were all on electric so a decent load on the gen.

Loud pop from distribution pannel followed by lots of smoke and the gen shutting down.

The converter board is fried upon inspection. Shore power trips the converter breaker right away. Genset will not run and shuts down immediately.

Goes to dealer for service this week. I am suspecting the voltage reg or something on the gen went bad to take out the power converter.

Anyone else experience something like this??

Scott
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi All,

I have a 2007 Access 31C that just smoked the inverter!

We were boondocking and had the Genset running. Fridge, Microwave and TV were all on electric so a decent load on the gen.

Loud pop from distribution pannel followed by lots of smoke and the gen shutting down.

The converter board is fried upon inspection. Shore power trips the converter breaker right away. Genset will not run and shuts down immediately.

Goes to dealer for service this week. I am suspecting the voltage reg or something on the gen went bad to take out the power converter.

Anyone else experience something like this??

Scott
Old 06-10-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Sorry to hear of your drama. Not plesant having a trip end abruptly that way.

This particular scneario is one on me. I don't recall anyone posting anything similar in the last couple of years. At least nothing so dramatic.

I see looking at the specs for the Access the Onan generator is rated at 4000 watts which about 35 amps capacity. If the microwave was actually running at the time plus TV, fridge and a few 12v lights off the inverter I'd guesss you were drawing around 30 amps. If the microwave was idle then it'd be only 15 amps or so. Either way the system should have been able to handle the load.

Does the 12 volt system work at all right now?

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Could be a simple case of infant mortality since you have a fairly new unit (assuming everything was wired properly and worked at one time.)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

12v system appears to be working Ok. The converter board is fried and the AC breaker for it trips when connected to shore power.

The gen will not run now. Starts ok, but immediately quits.

Generator has about 200 hours on it and we have put about 8K miles on our rig since we bought it last June.

Hope the dealer can find and fix all the problems before we head off on a long trip to Floriday in July.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

It's fixed!!!

Our rig spent 7 days in the shop for them to troubleshoot, order replacement parts and repair it.

Lower control board of the Converter was litterly fried...burned black in the center with several components melted.

Genset was putting out too much voltage and caused the converter to fry. Controll board on the Onan genset was bad and needed replaced.

So we depart tomorrow for a three day trip with the renevated system. Hope there are no more hidden bugs!
Old 06-20-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Glad it was handled for you. Man, that had to be a pricy warranty repair. Make sure you turn on EVERYTHING electrical at least once before you leave. If it fried the converter there could have been a power surge just before it went. Turn and use all radios, all functions, all video switches, anything that uses power.

If something is not working or acting right, it's better to know sooner than later.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote