Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2016, 04:59 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Slide failure 2.0 - thinking it all through

Let me begin by saying I really have liked owning Winnebago products and have been impressed by what they offer in the RV marketplace. I have been a real fan of the company and their products.

I'm starting to struggle with those thoughts. We're really trying hard to love our 2016 Adventurer 38 Q. We find the rig so comfortable to travel in, and so roomy and relaxing when it works. Its our dream coach after owning 8 different RV's over 35 years.

We got the unit in March and ran into trouble immediately

1. The front left slide broke and ripped out the bolts holding the slide to the ram assembly.
2. We had significant leaks around the windshield
3. The pump on the bed failed and would not inflate the mattress
4. The bedroom bed lift lost its programming and had to be reprogrammed
5. A cabinet door was broken on delivery
6. The Ford engine was caught up in the ECM programming mess for 2016 chassis
7. On our first trip back to the dealers for service and attention to glitches 150 miles away, we rounded the corner at the dealers and the French door residential fridge fell out of its slot across the rig totalling the fridge, damaging the microwave, and ripping up a lot of woodwork
8. Somehow the factory missed keying the doors properly on the master compartment key and had to get a new latch and get it repainted.
9. Several pieces of molding came loose and had to be re-secured.
10 Being a southerner I- like others on the forum -am really struggling with the adequacy of the front A/C Unit. It just doesn't seem to have the horsepower to get the job done!
11. The Infotainment system GPS would not engage the wifi (it wasn't connected in the factory)
12. When the doghouse was installed at the factory a cup holder tray was installed. In doing so they drilled through the top of the doghouse and into a heater hose coming off the engine. An easy fix but until diagnosed was a real worrisome issue

Many issues - many of which I am not bothering to list here-I worked on myself with guidance from Winnebago and the dealer. I like maintaining and keeping my rig in good shape and operating well- much like owning a boat. And I don't mind a few glitches here and there with a new rig- its to be expected. But the big ones like slides and engines are out of my capabilities and are a problem-- especially when they keep failing.

Today brought another crushing failure. We've been traveling across the country coast to coast and all has been well after about 10 days of travel. Nothing has failed- until today. And it was a biggy.

Once again the driver's side forward slide broke and broke badly. This time the rear ram failed. All was well with the prep and set up to extend- the rig was properly leveled, all aspects of the movement were pre-cleared to assure no obstructions.

Upon extending the slide to open it up we heard this loud metallic cracking. I initially thought it may have been the same problem as I had experienced on the front ram where the ram broke away from the slide stripping the attachment bolts. Not this time. After crawling around under the rig I immediately saw the failure. About 4 teeth were shattered and missing from the gear on the motor shaft that actuate the rack and pinion assembly.

I was panicked, wondering if I was stranded for good or if there were enough teeth left to get the slide back in. I am literally in the middle of nowhere likely a good hundred miles from anywhere that could offer any type of service.

I went ahead and attempted a retraction- and while VERY erratic and jumpy, the slide fully retracted. I locked it using the top locking mechanism . I consider myself lucky to get the slide back in given about 20% of the teeth are missing on the turning gear.

I have been fortunate that I have had a supportive and responsive dealer to help me through many of the problems I have faced. But this is NOT a dealer problem. This front slide on this model either had a major design flaw, is not properly engineered, has poorly speced and substandard elements, or has been improperly installed. Or all the above. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Winnebago has been very attentive and helpful thus far to many of my issues. I like working with them and my dealer and I do appreciate their responsiveness. But I'm wearing thin and getting a bit too old to be sweating these kinds of failure on elements of the rig that should hold up well under normal circumstances and not be failing within the first 6 months of service.

I wonder what's next?
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

After all that, if it were mine, it would be sitting on a dealers lot traded in.

Thats just my opinion
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

americanrasc, thank goodness you got the slide in. I'm 30 days into ownership of a 2016 38Q and I've had some of the problems you've experienced. I hope your list is not a road map of what to expect. I'll be watching and hoping Winnebago steps up to the plate and makes things right for you. We're also on a trip but not moving as often as you are. As things fail I'm making a list and we'll see how supportive the dealer network is when I get home. Sorry the rest of your trip will be diminished with an inoperable slide. Good luck and safe travels.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I couldn't do it. Sorry but I am just not that strong. That baby would be sitting in the showroom at Forest City just passed the window I just drove it thru!!!
Old 09-11-2016, 11:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...32479545,d.cGc

Maybe WBO could adopt Discount Tire's advertising strategy.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:54 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Good work repairing all issues by dealer

As a refresh I'm the OP

The Oakwood, GA CW did a good job addressing ALL my concerns. They took a week and whipped the unit back into the shape I expect to to be in. All my items were addressed well and in a timely manner. I was pretty impressed with thier service.

Winnebago? Well the silence was deafening. While we love the design--- don't get me started about quality and engineering.

The slide ram was replaced in its entirety- the word I got was there was a batch of rams that came through with poorly manufactured and faulty pinions. Hope that's not too widespread for the world of slides.

All said I'll still always sleep with one eye opened worried about the slide on this thing
Old 10-19-2016, 08:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

That's good news Joe. Sounds like you've got a good Camping World service center. I've got an appointment at the St. Augustine Camping World Nov 7th and I hope I get the same level of service. Wishing you many miles of trouble free use because you've sure had more than your share of issues to date.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Very troubling as our friends have a 38Q also and just informed me they are seriously considering trying to sell it after all the problems they have had. We have had issues with the 37F but as you,, either I have resolved most of them or Forest City took their turn at it and fixed everything I had issues with and a few things more. All in all we love our coach, but always trying to be proactive with finding problems before they become a real pain.
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post
That's good news Joe. Sounds like you've got a good Camping World service center. I've got an appointment at the St. Augustine Camping World Nov 7th and I hope I get the same level of service. Wishing you many miles of trouble free use because you've sure had more than your share of issues to date.
If that doesn't work out for you I'd suggest you call RV Repair Florida - Alliance Coach They are in Wildwood, FL, about 3 hours SW of St Augustine.
I had major slide problems this summer and they were the only place that would take me in without a couple week wait. They resolved my problems, I was able to be with the tech while he was working on it, able to ask questions and get answers. Very nice that they have many overnight parking sites with 50 amp electricity. (They didn't charge me for the nights I was there, imagine that!) If I ever have problems when in Florida they'll be the first ones I call.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
If that doesn't work out for you I'd suggest you call RV Repair Florida - Alliance Coach They are in Wildwood, FL, about 3 hours SW of St Augustine.
I don't think they're a Winnebago dealer but I'll keep them in mind when I'm out of warranty. My next choice would probably be La Mesa in Daytona or Sanford.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:30 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post

Thanks Bob- looking forward to seeing it said here that the problems with your 38Q are in the rear view mirror.

Looks like there's a bit of a love-hate thing going on for 38Q owners. There is a lot of love when it comes to design ---- but when it comes to manufacturing quality and engineering--- well that's another story.

I just can't in my mind get over the cabinet miss- match and the leaks on mine. Its so indicative of the underlying problems.

I continue to work on sleeping with one eye open.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE=americanrasc;3300723]As a refresh I'm the OP

Winnebago? Well the silence was deafening. While we love the design--- don't get me started about quality and engineering.

Those of us stuck with Schwintek slide mechanisms truly feel your pain. Our Forza spent a month at the dealer at delivery and then 3 days at Forest City. Winnebago's feeling is they "solved" the problem by switching to Power Gear slide units.

What about all us owners of Orphan coaches with Schwintek slides no one wants?? I seriously pray every time we have to run the slides in or out
and dislike taking up Gods time for our personal issue. It's not a matter of will they fail, it's when. The long right slide juts out a the bottom 1-2" while traveling and the weatherstrip seal is negated. It cannot be corrected as there isn't any motor brake. They want to revert to the 1980's with mechanical slide locks, that is disgusting!! Besides, there is no physical room to get a bar slide lock on the rear inside, there is no room.

We have had numerous other issues and I've been attacked by the Winnebago lovers police for my negative opinions..... enough said.

I'd love to dump it, but cannot take the financial hit. The Freightliner portion has been great. We had thought we had purchased a quality coach from a quality conscious manufacturer. Shame on us?
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE=TarasParents;3303991]
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanrasc View Post
As a refresh I'm the OP

Those of us stuck with Schwintek slide mechanisms truly feel your pain. Our Forza spent a month at the dealer at delivery and then 3 days at Forest City. Winnebago's feeling is they "solved" the problem by switching to Power Gear slide units.

What about all us owners of Orphan coaches with Schwintek slides no one wants?? I seriously pray every time we have to run the slides in or out
and dislike taking up Gods time for our personal issue. It's not a matter of will they fail, it's when. The long right slide juts out a the bottom 1-2" while traveling and the weatherstrip seal is negated. It cannot be corrected as there isn't any motor brake. They want to revert to the 1980's with mechanical slide locks, that is disgusting!! Besides, there is no physical room to get a bar slide lock on the rear inside, there is no room.

We have had numerous other issues and I've been attacked by the Winnebago lovers police for my negative opinions..... enough said.

I'd love to dump it, but cannot take the financial hit. The Freightliner portion has been great. We had thought we had purchased a quality coach from a quality conscious manufacturer. Shame on us?
The mechanical slide lock works...I know it is not glamorous but I used it for 2 years while I had my Adventurer and had no problems with my huge slide...so it is what it is...I have since traded the Adventurer in for a 09 Tour with HWH slides...though it was not due to any slide issues...we wanted to go with a bigger coach with added gray tanks, a washer/dryer and large enough cargo space below to carry our recumbent trikes. If you are not using your mechanical locks I would recommend you do.
Best of luck!
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanrasc View Post
Let me begin by saying I really have liked owning Winnebago products and have been impressed by what they offer in the RV marketplace. I have been a real fan of the company and their products.

I'm starting to struggle with those thoughts. We're really trying hard to love our 2016 Adventurer 38 Q. We find the rig so comfortable to travel in, and so roomy and relaxing when it works. Its our dream coach after owning 8 different RV's over 35 years.

We got the unit in March and ran into trouble immediately

1. The front left slide broke and ripped out the bolts holding the slide to the ram assembly.
2. We had significant leaks around the windshield
3. The pump on the bed failed and would not inflate the mattress
4. The bedroom bed lift lost its programming and had to be reprogrammed
5. A cabinet door was broken on delivery
6. The Ford engine was caught up in the ECM programming mess for 2016 chassis
7. On our first trip back to the dealers for service and attention to glitches 150 miles away, we rounded the corner at the dealers and the French door residential fridge fell out of its slot across the rig totalling the fridge, damaging the microwave, and ripping up a lot of woodwork
8. Somehow the factory missed keying the doors properly on the master compartment key and had to get a new latch and get it repainted.
9. Several pieces of molding came loose and had to be re-secured.
10 Being a southerner I- like others on the forum -am really struggling with the adequacy of the front A/C Unit. It just doesn't seem to have the horsepower to get the job done!
11. The Infotainment system GPS would not engage the wifi (it wasn't connected in the factory)
12. When the doghouse was installed at the factory a cup holder tray was installed. In doing so they drilled through the top of the doghouse and into a heater hose coming off the engine. An easy fix but until diagnosed was a real worrisome issue

Many issues - many of which I am not bothering to list here-I worked on myself with guidance from Winnebago and the dealer. I like maintaining and keeping my rig in good shape and operating well- much like owning a boat. And I don't mind a few glitches here and there with a new rig- its to be expected. But the big ones like slides and engines are out of my capabilities and are a problem-- especially when they keep failing.

Today brought another crushing failure. We've been traveling across the country coast to coast and all has been well after about 10 days of travel. Nothing has failed- until today. And it was a biggy.

Once again the driver's side forward slide broke and broke badly. This time the rear ram failed. All was well with the prep and set up to extend- the rig was properly leveled, all aspects of the movement were pre-cleared to assure no obstructions.

Upon extending the slide to open it up we heard this loud metallic cracking. I initially thought it may have been the same problem as I had experienced on the front ram where the ram broke away from the slide stripping the attachment bolts. Not this time. After crawling around under the rig I immediately saw the failure. About 4 teeth were shattered and missing from the gear on the motor shaft that actuate the rack and pinion assembly.

I was panicked, wondering if I was stranded for good or if there were enough teeth left to get the slide back in. I am literally in the middle of nowhere likely a good hundred miles from anywhere that could offer any type of service.

I went ahead and attempted a retraction- and while VERY erratic and jumpy, the slide fully retracted. I locked it using the top locking mechanism . I consider myself lucky to get the slide back in given about 20% of the teeth are missing on the turning gear.

I have been fortunate that I have had a supportive and responsive dealer to help me through many of the problems I have faced. But this is NOT a dealer problem. This front slide on this model either had a major design flaw, is not properly engineered, has poorly speced and substandard elements, or has been improperly installed. Or all the above. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Winnebago has been very attentive and helpful thus far to many of my issues. I like working with them and my dealer and I do appreciate their responsiveness. But I'm wearing thin and getting a bit too old to be sweating these kinds of failure on elements of the rig that should hold up well under normal circumstances and not be failing within the first 6 months of service.

I wonder what's next?
You're not alone. There are others out there. We have had over 40 things wrong with our coach some pretty significant including the bedroom side. Only about a hundred cycles on the slide and the motor mount/housing broke. Apparently it is made of plastic, or so I was told. As of today, the coach has had a total of 61 days down time/service time since we took delivery the end February 2016. Based on the time frames the dealer gave me, it should be another two plus weeks.

I wonder when Winnebago sends out their Customer Satisfaction Survey. LOL
Old 10-22-2016, 08:53 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
You're not alone. There are others out there. We have had over 40 things wrong with our coach some pretty significant including the bedroom side. Only about a hundred cycles on the slide and the motor mount/housing broke. Apparently it is made of plastic, or so I was told. As of today, the coach has had a total of 61 days down time/service time since we took delivery the end February 2016. Based on the time frames the dealer gave me, it should be another two plus weeks.

I wonder when Winnebago sends out their Customer Satisfaction Survey. LOL
Was just remembering - I got the survey about a month ago and very little of it was focused on WBGO and thier workmanship, customer service, and quality . It seemed primarily focused on the dealers. In my case the one saving grace I have had is the dealer. I would have loved to have spent more time in the survey dealing with WBGO itself and less about the dealer.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:50 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
I got one also recently and I believe it was from the WIT Club.

Tags
slide