Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sirius Receiver

Help. Having problems with my satellite reception. Keep getting "acquiring signal" after being on for a few minutes. Know it is not the Jensen radio unit (have 2, same result).

I cannot find the Jensen Sirius receiver. The unit drawings show in two places, behind left overhead speaker or in left storage compartment above the alarm. Forest City says to look in driver's overhead compartment, nothing there except CD changer and Ipod connector. Others say is on firewall neat steering column. Not there.

Want to check connections to receiver before replacing antenna or receiver.

Any ideas out there where else it could be. Don't want to remove dash unless have to. Unit is 2009 Meridian 34Y.

Nick Dienes
nsdienes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Trace down the wire from the back of the Jensen. The Sirius receiver has to be plugged in there.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

On my 2006 34Y, it is on the firewall behind the steering column. Very hard to see because it is disguised by tons of wire in front of it. Because the connector was bad I had to put a second sirius antenna on the roof and bring another line down to a portable receiver which enters the radio via aux input.
B Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

On my 2009 Journey39Z, it is under the dash on the left hand side of the wheel - almost on the drivers side wall and up about half way. Mine was early 2009 so the radio is not as specified in the Operators manual. Had the same problem and it is likely the antenna that is defective. I suggest you get a new antenna from Radio Shack or online so you can see the connector on the end (they are all the same) and then you can crawl under and search for it. You will need a flashlight but no tools. You can unplug the existing antenna and the plug the new one in temporarily to insure it solves the problem.
The current antenna is mounted on the roof and the cable reaches the radio through the LH pillar on the DS windshield. Four screws will remove the pillar cover and you can use the old antenna cable to pull a piece of string up to the first compartment on the DS.
The antenna has a magnetic base so you will need a sheet of metal to mount it on and will need to attach the sheet to the side of the compartment for support. I used a sheet of punched metal from Lowes used to fasten/join wood beams together - it is fairly light. The metal serves to hold the antenna magnet securely but more importantly, it serves as a "ground plane" for the antenna to receive properly. You won't likely get a signal without it. You should look for a metal piece about 6" x 8".
If you look closely to the dial of the Jensen radio, there is a signal strength indicator on it so you can hook the new antenna up to the radio and see for yourself the difference the ground plane makes.
Note that there is absolutely no need to mount the replacement on the roof. The fiberglass roof is transparent to radio signals and you should get 3 bars plus with the antenna in the OH compartment.
Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I learned two things from Bob.
First I did not know that the antenna could see through the fiberglass roof, and second the the antenna needs a ground plane to work properly. I epoxied the antenna to a piece of aluminum sheet and mounted it on the roof. Although it works fine, I would have done it differently had I heard from Bob earlier.
The moral: Always check out the forum before jumping in.
B Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I'm not aware that a Sirius antenna needs a ground plane. My antenna is mounted directly to the piece of wood that runs across the top of my windshield (where the sunvisors attach) right under the fiberglass cap, top left. Mine works great. I've not mounted it to any piece of metal and the only time I lose reception is if I go under a wide overpass on the interstate.

There are several antenna designs that need no ground plane, or if they do need one about the size of a dime

The Sirius antenna is in the "Coin Size" category.. Thus the small plastic thingy has it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Kane View Post
I learned two things from Bob.
First I did not know that the antenna could see through the fiberglass roof, and second the the antenna needs a ground plane to work properly. I epoxied the antenna to a piece of aluminum sheet and mounted it on the roof. Although it works fine, I would have done it differently had I heard from Bob earlier.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

My hockey puck Sirius antenna lays on the dash. If I'm going in a direction where the signal fades, DW just moves it to the Southern side of the MH. So far, so good.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, fellows. Found it. Behind a rat's nest of ducts and wires. Can't tell how mounted, but did see duct tape over the antenna wire. May still have to remove top of dash to get at it easily to check connections and test different antenna.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

NSDIENES - I trust someone has showed you how to lift up the dashboard, yielding easy (so to speak) access to the morass of wires and gauges and other stuff down there. I have not seen an RV that did not have a hinged dash, but I certainly have not seen them all. Try it - try to lift the dash and you may be shocked (figuratively, of course) at how easy it is . . . .I hope.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

thanks for the reply. the 34y has two dash features, unscrew the defrost vents and slide back the padded over-dash and unscrew and pull out the dash cover. BTW our 2000 adventurer did have a hinged dash. our 34y has been removed once already when new, as I installed a leveler chime time out and a toad brake warning light, also a 12volt outlet and a trucenter switch. also BTW the sirius problem was the antenna. I installed an indoor outdoor antenna next to the overhead speaker. so far so good, and I now have a Sirius receiver and a Jensen radio for sale.

again, everyone thanks for the help. for those who have Sirius antennas on roof on winnys from around that time, the forest city mechanics said the problem was probably the antenna, leading me to think that that particular one has had issues.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

My Sirius Radio came to me new, and bad. After checking the ant, etc the results was a new radio under warranty. Good luck!